Netgear WNDR3400v1 Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
HoptimusPrime271
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:19    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3400v1 Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
I'm hoping to get thoughts from the forum on a couple topics.
1) My primary goal is to increase the wifi signal throughout my house. ​
I was hoping to repurpose an old Netgear WNDR3400v1 to accomplish this. In reading through all the dd-wrt documentation (including for my router), it appears Repeater Bridge mode is exactly what I'm looking for. I flashed dd-wrt.v24-36247_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400.chk. Overall, it appears the flash went fine and everything is in working order. However, I wasn't successful in getting Repeater Bridge mode set up. I wonder if it's related to the comment on the wiki under the Broadcom heading: "Repeater Bridge with WPA2-AES is broken for k2.6 builds after 25974, though some models might work through 26125". Is this comment still valid? My primary router uses WPA2 Personal. I've also read in various threads that Repeater Bridge mode can be kind of flaky anyway? Which leads me to my next question.
2) Is a better solution to use powerline adapters and run the WNDR3400 as an access point? Running cables around my house isn't ideal, which is why I was trying the Repeater Bridge solution. Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure if @redhawk0 sees this, he can verify that this mode is still broken on K26 builds.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3400 wrote:
Broadcom K3X builds can also be flashed to this router just make sure each build has the routers name in it like step 1 and is less than 7995392 bytes (7808 bytes) in size or you will brick the router. NOTE: this may NOT be the correct size. Firmware revision 46949 Mega bricks this router and it is 7967744 in size

Current K3x builds for this device, either version is under the size constraint, but Caveat Emptor and YMMV.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know they are not the same routers as yours but read this:

[url] https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329576

And then this:

[url] https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331273

After you have read; try setting the repeater bridge up again.

My personal experience of power line adapters is that they work and do the job however I have always had better results with Broadcom routers as RB's. I lose more of my download speed going through adapters than I do going from my main router to an RB in a 1500sqft house.
HoptimusPrime271
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Not sure if something went wrong with the flash, but the dd-wrt.v24-48141_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k.bin build bricks the WNDR3400. I've seen a decent number of threads and articles on how to recover it. Any favorites or preferred methods? I'd rather recover it properly (and learn something in the process), but considering it's not worth much, I also don't mind trying something like a pin short either.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would help the developer(s) would be a serial output that shows where it stops on the current K3.x build that bricked it. Did you try doing a hard reset to see if it was just a clash with settings?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: