Configuring two DD-WRT routers to create a DMZ- how to route

changeling
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 14:13    Post subject: Configuring two DD-WRT routers to create a DMZ- how to route Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have two DD-WRT routers set up as below:

1 - Outer router 10.0.0.0/8, Gateway 10.0.0.1

2 - Inner router 192.168.1.1/24, Gateway 192.168.1.1

Router 1 is will be connected to the WAN once I have this configured properly and can move it downstairs. Right now it's not simply because I am working on them in a different room. I don't think that will affect anything here but I figured I'd mention it.

Router 2 is connected from it's WAN port to LAN 1 on Router 1.

Each is running a separate wi-fi network (for now, probably taking down the outer router's once it's configured)

If I just naively connect them as above and do nothing, I cannot reach 10.0.0.1 from my PC connected to Router 2. I essentially just want to be able to connect to my web host (rasp pi) in my DMZ from my inner network, but not allow traffic coming the other way (AKA leave NAT enabled)

I also want to be able to connect from the inner router to the internet.

I have found this article https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes but it is not super clear to me what settings need to be set on which router. I have also looked at some spiceworks/stackexchange posts as well, but so far, no luck getting this to work. I am a networking noob trying to learn. Can someone explain to me what I should be configuring on these routers to achieve this? Preferably with the rationale behind it so I can learn rather than just repeat.

It seems to me like they should both work without any configuration - router 2 should see 10.0.0.1 as its WAN gateway and act accordingly. That does not appear to be the case. I cannot connect to 10.0.0.1 from my internal router, currently. I am sure my assumption is wrong but I don't know where to go from there.

I appreciate anything anyone can share, please and thank you! Smile
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem w/ that wiki (esp. for a networking newb) is it complicates matters by getting into how to gain access to the local IP network(s) of downstream routers from upstream routers. That's a nice feature to have in some cases, but it obscures the simpler matter of how to get one or more daisy-chained routers (connected WAN to LAN) working.

For those purposes, the ***ONLY*** requirement is that you set each router to factory defaults, then make sure each one is using a unique local IP network (e.g., 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.2.1/24). At that point, every downstream router should have access to every upstream router's local IP network, and the internet.

If you need access from the upstream router's local IP network to the downstream router's local IP network, THAT requires additional firewall rules and static routing. But before getting into those matters (if it even matters), just get the basic thing working.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: