160MHz Channel Width Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zackman2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 16:38    Post subject: 160MHz Channel Width Issues Reply with quote
First off, I am on a ASUS RT-AC5300 flashed with build 47225.
In my Basic Wireless Settings for the router mentioned above, I noticed there was an option to change the channel width. After some research, it seemed this could increase WiFi speeds although at a cost of range. I wanted to experiment with the maximum channel width listed (160MHz) although when changing to it, the results seemed odd. Once the 160MHz width was applied, the extension channel option seemed to disappear. Although, in the dd-wrt Wiki it mentioned the extension channel should be set to UUU or LLL based on the channel chosen. Additionally, the dropdown to choose a specific channel only had the Auto option. In a WiFi analyzer app on my Android device, it seemed the channel width for my SSID was actually 20MHz when set to 160MHz. Also, all my devices reported a link speed of 173Mbps no matter how close I was to the router while before they would report a speed of 866Mbps when using an 80MHz width. Any ideas on what may be going on?
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.asus.com/de/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AC5300/techspec/

https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTGZ00/Test-Report/FCC-Radio-Test-Report-3272313.html

The router / chipset does not support VHT160. (not that I know of)
and VHT160 is garbage anyway

* only VHT160 capable clients benefit from VHT160 and there are not many of them - for all other clients it remains a normal 20/40/80Mhz network.
* VHT160 has mostly the same bitrate as VHT80, because most IEEE 802.11ac Wave2 chipsets support VHT80 4x4 but only VHT160 2x2 (halving the spatial streams / antennas).
* VHT160 limits the 5Ghz spectrum, you can operate just 2 interference free 160Mhz AP or 6 80Mhz AP in the whole 5ghz Range
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: