Wireless Connection Stops Working on R7800 after Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
xxxxts
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:03    Post subject: Wireless Connection Stops Working on R7800 after Upgrade Reply with quote
I recently upgraded my R7800 from DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongat (08/09/17) to DD-WRT v3.0-r47976 std (01/06/22) - my wireless connections stop working randomly and I need to reboot my router. Sometimes it's the Guest network, sometimes it's the main. Additionally, when I was trying to trouble shoot everything the Web GUI interface that shows up when you go to 192.168.1.1 stopped working and I needed to reboot manually.

When I upgraded from r33010M to r47976 I didn't clear all my old settings out, could that be the problem?

Before I upgrade to the latest build (r48075 ) and deal with the hassle of starting fresh, could you guys please review the attached screen shot of my wireless settings. Is there anything incorrect there?

Thanks!

Past dd-wrt routers:
Linksys WRT3200ACM
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP
Linksys E4200 v1
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54G
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep reset and manual reconfig is a must, coming from such an old build...moreover switching from Kong to BS..

for 2,4Ghz use fixed channel...and mixed...
for better understanding and WiFi settings consult the wi-fi guide here:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt internals from 5 years ago are WAY different than what dd-wrt is NOW. So a factory reset is a MUST.

I personally recommend you treat the 5Ghz wireless as your primary and 2.4ghz as your secondary/fallback. Make them both different names like

5Ghz would be "I am Jacks Wireless network"

2.4ghz would be "I am Jacks Legacy" (sounds awsome not gonna lie)

my network is something like 5ghz "GAKS wireless" and 2.4ghz being "legacy" so now you know why I said what I said in my suggestions.

-ANYWAY-

Start with default settings for wifi. Adjust ONE SETTING AT A TIME and test it before changing another setting. Each wireless environment has its own needs and may most likely work better with default settings then to mess with something thats already working fine.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
aleck1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
yep reset and manual reconfig is a must, coming from such an old build...moreover switching from Kong to BS..

for 2,4Ghz use fixed channel...and mixed...
for better understanding and WiFi settings consult the wi-fi guide here:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

I agree about a reconfiguration after such an old build.

This has probably been asked before but if the settings from that sticky are so good why aren't they the defaults? Is it just a matter of compatibility?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
aleck1 wrote:
if the settings from that sticky are so good why aren't they the defaults? Is it just a matter of compatibility?

Yes, it's done to assure you can connect to wifi on the router. It's the most basic/generic settings to assure broad compatibility on initial loading.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
mitchd123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@xxxxts, I did similar, old to new, however on the Jan. builds I've had my wlan0 stop working on my Linksys EA8500.

I've done several factory resets, and the problem remains.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but wanted to provide some troubleshooting tips to work together to solve.

I've SSH'ed in and done a erase nvram && reboot and noticed not all my setting reset. I then did 3 factory resets in a row via the Gui, reset, reboot, new pass, (x 3) My WDS Mac address settings unchanged, so at least the WDS Mac addresses are not cleared with a factory reset.

After a reset I would add a password, reboot, then go into status, wireless, and my wlan0 would say channel "unknown". I've tried auto, multiple channels, and multiple different settings, but I can not seem to revive wlan0 on the Jan firmware levels. I'm going to attempt to backlevel to an older firmware level and post my results. But take a look at your status, wireless and see if that helps you troubleshoot.
mitchd123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reverted back to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47074 (07/20/21), and my wlan0 now shows a channel under Status->Wireless->Wlan0. The 2.4 wireless started working again, where before on the Jan versions it would not work at all regardless of channel settings.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
No issues here using EA8500 as gateway January builds, though I do not use WDS nor alter MAC addresses.

Be sure your command is correct nvram erase && reboot, not erase nvram unless partition is corrupt (rare).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: