r6700v2 and Client Bridge - working with a "poke"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
VA1DER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 23:58    Post subject: r6700v2 and Client Bridge - working with a "poke" Reply with quote
Following the posted instructions I have been able, more or less, to get the r6700v2 working in client bridge mode. But it does require one modification and a poke:

Poke:
Packets destined outside the local subnet weren't being sent to the gateway, and sometimes packets originating from the device weren't even being sent to the local subnet. Route table looked correct. Through various fiddling I noticed that just clicking "apply" on the Advanced Routing seems to make everything work correctly. Tracing the source I found this will institute the workaround from the command line:
Code:
$ nvram set action_service=routing && kill -s SIGUSR1 1

Basically this is just telling the init process to reset the routing subsystem.

Change:
The instructions are excellent but specify to disable SPI firewall but to enable Filter Multicast. This is impossible on current builds, disabling the SPI firewall also automatically disables Filter Multicast. However the igmprt process spoken of in this thread doesn't appear to be running on my device in any case, so "Filter Multicast" doesn't appear to be needed. Recommend the Client Bridge wiki page be changed.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Poke, indeed. The filter multicast thing is an anomaly, not sure if it has been fixed or not as far as the checkbox staying checked. I just set up Client Bridged on an Atheros device after a hard reset recently and the nvram variable for filter multicast remained "on", although the webUI didn't quite show it - I may not have properly added the step(s) to disable, save, click filter multicast, save in the non-Broadcom wiki. I will inquire within, but at present, I am not going to make any more changes to that or the Broadcom CB wiki yet until I have time to verify a few things. Thanks for the info, and I am sure you did every step (including a hard reset), hit "save" and waited until the end of the procedure and rebooted before having to poke or notice anything else. I will make a note of this for future reference. Thanks for the reminder to ping BrainSlayer about filter multicast in webUI. Keep in mind one thing: If people continue having issues with CB and RB modes, the bridge modes may disappear.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
VA1DER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I just set up Client Bridged on an Atheros device after a hard reset recently and the nvram variable for filter multicast remained "on", although the webUI didn't quite show it

I hadn't looked at it at the time, but now I see that it's the same on my Mediatek device. filter_multicast=1, but the box isn't checked on the page. Minor display bug somewhere.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Thanks for the info, and I am sure you did every step...

I did. Twice. With zero percent chance I missed anything. At least, that's what I would have said yesterday. But I did it again today when I put on the latest test build, just to be sure, and it worked. I can't be sure (old man brain syndrome) but before I may have missed the step to put "Default GW Mode" to manual on Wireless->Basic. Which means, of course, would have been left at auto. If that is the case, then perhaps it is still useful information to know that when it is left on auto that resetting the routing subsystem pokes it into life.

One other thing. I'm curious on why the instruction to "Leave Local DNS blank". This leaves resolv.conf empty. Does populating resolv.conf cause other troubles later on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: