I can't enable multicast filtering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nokto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07    Post subject: I can't enable multicast filtering Reply with quote
I have a TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v4 running DD-WRT v3.0-r48068 std. I put it into client bridge mode following this guide:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

It says to disable the firewall and then check filter multicast. However, this seems impossible because I can either have both multicast filtering and the firewall enabled or both disabled, not the firewall disabled and multicast filtering enabled. It seems to work fine without multicast filtering enabled though, you wouldn't be reading this if it wasn't. Sometimes it won't load a website and gives a DNS error and i have to refresh to get it to load but it also did this on older versions of dd-wrt where I could disable the firewall and enable multicast filtering so i dont think thats the issue.

thank you.
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
What the router provides is an IP firewall, which means it's only effective when routing is taking place on the router (e.g., LAN<->WAN traffic). But in any bridged configuration, there is NO WAN, so the IP firewall has no effect on LAN to LAN traffic. Those devices communicate directly with one another over ethernet without the need for routing. As a result, it makes no difference if you enable or disable the firewall, it's NOT going to work. Nor are any of the various WAN filters going to work either. Once you've configured the router in a bridged configuration, the router becomes nothing more than a wireless switch, and any and all firewall settings become irrelevant.

This is why you can't take the various wikis as gospel. Most are written by other users who sometimes don't understand certain issues, and therefore make erroneous suggestions. Notice it also tells you to change from Gateway to Router mode. Yet another example of something completely irrelevant. This is only meaningful in a routed configuration (i.e., active WAN), since it determines whether NAT should or shouldn't be enabled for the WAN.

Fortunately, most of these erroneous suggestions are benign. They have no negative effects whether or not implemented. But it can give the false impression that it *does* matter. And that's the problem here.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
nokto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
What the router provides is an IP firewall, which means it's only effective when routing is taking place on the router (e.g., LAN<->WAN traffic). But in any bridged configuration, there is NO WAN, so the IP firewall has no effect on LAN to LAN traffic. Those devices communicate directly with one another over ethernet without the need for routing. As a result, it makes no difference if you enable or disable the firewall, it's NOT going to work. Nor are any of the various WAN filters going to work either. Once you've configured the router in a bridged configuration, the router becomes nothing more than a wireless switch, and any and all firewall settings become irrelevant.

This is why you can't take the various wikis as gospel. Most are written by other users who sometimes don't understand certain issues, and therefore make erroneous suggestions. Notice it also tells you to change from Gateway to Router mode. Yet another example of something completely irrelevant. This is only meaningful in a routed configuration (i.e., active WAN), since it determines whether NAT should or shouldn't be enabled for the WAN.

Fortunately, most of these erroneous suggestions are benign. They have no negative effects whether or not implemented. But it can give the false impression that it *does* matter. And that's the problem here.

I thought it was weird and had no effect but thought whoever wrote the article might know something i don't. Thank you.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check output of nvram show | grep filter_multicast via telnet / ssh. If it is 1, then it's a webUI anomaly and I am not sure why it doesn't display like it used to other than the firewall is selected disabled.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331140

Again, if people continue to have issues handling these fake bridge modes, they will be removed as options.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
nokto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Check output of nvram show | grep filter_multicast via telnet / ssh. If it is 1, then it's a webUI anomaly and I am not sure why it doesn't display like it used to other than the firewall is selected disabled.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331140

Again, if people continue to have issues handling these fake bridge modes, they will be removed as options.

The output of "nvram show | grep filter_multicast" just gives me the size of something in bytes and not a 0 or 1

I think the reason client bridge drops for me sometimes is more than likely an ARP related problem. It's probably just inherent to how the client bridge hack works. I tried the clicking apply settings on the advanced routing page fix from the post you linked and that seems to have fixed the dropping issue.
nokto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ended up giving up, I was still having dropping issues. Tried every DHCP/ARP related fix I could find with no luck. I reflashed the stock TP-Link firmware and setup a WDS bridge. It now works flawlessly. So sad because I hate the stock firmware but since it's not internet facing it's fine. Sad
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like the nvram variable name changed (or was wrongly quoted to begin with?):
Code:
block_multicast=1

Check that. If clicking the save button after checking it and checking it again and again ad infinitum don't werk, then do:
Code:
nvram set block_multicast=1
nvram commit
reboot

Problem solved.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The routing of Multicast in in the file /tmp/igmpproxy.conf
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
As @eibgrad already noted leave the settings about Firewall and (Operating mode) alone

See attachment how I setup a wireless bridge Smile

DDWRT Wireless Bridge v4.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDWRT Wireless Bridge v4.pdf
 Filesize:  399.33 KB
 Downloaded:  100 Time(s)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The C7 is an Atheros.

It do have an Option on the wifi "Multicast to Unicast". Multicast will be converted to Unicast before sent over wifi to avoid the Multicast speed limit with wifi
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
The C7 is an Atheros.

I describe a wireless bridge for Broadcom and Atheros Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Fri Jul 08, 2022 16:29; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
These modes do not have functional arp or multicast. Also, how do you plan to use the WAN port as part of the switch? It would be nice to have the details of proof to not disable the firewall or change operating mode, since this is part of the wan disable function, no?
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: