Better R6220 router firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 17:11    Post subject: Better R6220 router firmware Reply with quote
Hi Team,

MY WAN port of my router is not working ( If I connect internet cable on LAN port, i can see light is turned green) so I have read that I can convert one of LAN port to WAN port.

Is it possible?

For this i searched supported device database but I am not able to see R6220 router in that list.

Is it not supported by DD-WRT?

Does anybody knows more about how to achieve this or firmware that will do this on Netgear R6220 router ?

Please help. Thanks in Advance.

Thanks,
Prat
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router database also tells you to check the supported devices wiki, if I am not mistaken. CoolWink

Current build release thread in the Ralink(MediaTek) forum: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331199

Download: https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/01-06-2022-r47976/netgear-r6220/

You will have to manipulate the ethernet ports via swconfig utility, not the webUI (yet).

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry I forgot to add, i was checking that page, but due to low internet (from my mobile as my router is having said problem) the webpage was not loaded properly and I couldn't check it further.

Thanks for the file location.

I have quickly gone through the release page and got below,

`
CLI Flash: 'cd /tmp' then 'wget {file URL}' (http only) or 'curl -O {file URL}' (http, https, ftp). 'write {file} linux' then 'reboot'.
`.
I didn't get the steps I need to perform on those two downloaded files.

Do I need to runbelow two commands as,
# write {file} linux
# reboot

but which file out of two downloaded in place of {file}

Sorry if it's really stupid question.

Also my laptop currently is connected to wifi (but showing No Internet,Secured) but I am not able to ssh or telnet using putty on 192.168.1.1 IP, so I am confused where can I perform above steps?

Thanks,
prat
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flash the factory-to-ddwrt.img file from the router's webUI. Preferably over wired ethernet connection to a LAN port.

----------------------
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I first upgraded it with 'factory-to-ddwrt.img' file from Router's UI wirelessly through laptop.

Then logged in to new UI of dd-wrt and again upgraded firmware with 'r6220-webflash.bin' file wirelessly but it is stuck at one screen from last 30 mins. It is displaying 'Upgrade successful. Unit is rebooting now. Please wait a moment...'.Please see the attached file for screen shot.

Thanks,
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
You didn't need to double-flash it - I never said you had to use the webflash file for initial or final flash. Hopefully you didn't brick it. Power cycle it and see if webUI returns. If it doesn't, then you have to de-brick with nmrpflash or TFTP.

----------------------
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I entered IP in another tab and able to see UI and firmware version as DD-WRT v3.0-r47976(01/06/22)

After trying to access UI, it is asking to change default username, password, I changed it but not sure whether it really changed it or not.

Then i am trying to get the ssh access to run those swconfig commands (still not sure what are the exact commands) but sometimes i am getting the UI and sometimes not, same goes for ssh connection. I enabled ssh service and while trying to get ssh access it is asking for the username, password but unable to login even after giving newly changed id, password.

Even if it opens UI (after waiting for some. Time) and tries to go inside any tab, it is just buffering and taking a lot time to display page.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are not wired ethernet to the router, as I suggested, then you should probably consider taking a break and rectifying that. You should also use incognito or private browsing mode with no extensions loaded and ensure that your browser didn't save your router login credentials.

----------------------
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
prat wrote:
I enabled ssh service and while trying to get ssh access it is asking for the username, password but unable to login even after giving newly changed id, password

SSH/Telnet username is always root, password is the one you set in GUI.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I plugged wire between lan port and laptop but it is still slow.

Are you suggesting to use tftp option for reverting back to original firmware?l since UI is not properly loading?

I read online about tftp way and following as per below link,

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Turned off router for 10 sec, then trying to press reset button and then by continuously holding it and then powering on the router, the power LED is not blinking, it just stays green from the time router is turned on but as per link, we need to measure blinking 10 times.and then run cmd command.

Thanks,
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't follow where you are leading. Stop, breathe. Nobody said anything about flashing back to stock or TFTP if you didn't brick it. You probably need to just do a reset or hard reset, if anything. Again, please use a browser with no extensions or add-ons enabled in private browsing mode with no router login credentials saved. I've deployed several of the newly supported MediaTek devices without all this trouble. Sounds like you possibly have a bad ethernet cable.

----------------------
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not sure what's going on but router's webpage is taking almost 10 mins to show first page. So by default It is showing page where System info etc.. can be seen, If i click on some tab, it asks for username, password, after giving it again starts loading and loading.

I am doing this for private tab with no extension but still this is happening.

Actually as soon as flashed second time with webflash file, i was atleast able to navigate through difference tabs, i enabled ssh service etc, In ssh, connection, it asked for user, password, i entered what I have changed in UI 4,5 times. After that it is never loading page properly.

for Below procedure i am pressing reset button many times but it seems that is also not helping as nothing different is happening.

Hence I thought my router is bricked and started to look for recovery.

Is there a way to revert the upgrade?

So I looked at tftp procedure,

As per link, even after pressing reset button, power led is not getting blinked again and again which is what required if we have to do it via tftp way. I see power led blinks only once after 2,3 min of continuous pressing of reset button, where lan port (where the rj45 cable is plugged is blinking frequently)

as soon as power led blink once I ran the tftp command but I am getting connection request failed message.

Is my reset button also having some issue?

I haven't tried nmrpflash command way.

but is there any way to recover this?

May be if someone wants to reproduce this issue, first try flashing with factory-to-ddwrt.img and then flash with r6220-webflash.bin file (your router file)

Sorry if I saying too much things and giving trouble to all of you but as you see i am stuck here.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, we have no idea what you've done or not done, but your first mistake was doing the unnecessary webflash file. All you *should* have to do is press the reset button for ~10 seconds with it powered up and let it reboot and start over in DD-WRT. Sounds like you got way too far ahead of yourself. Slow down, it's not a race.

You started this thread by saying the WAN port wasn't working, so you may have a hardware failure. Was there some kind of power surge or power outage that was involved?

----------------------
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Kernel-panic69,

Thanks.

The internet cable which is connected from ISP to my router's wan port was carrying some water (i.e the cable is damaged from somewhere because of which water went inside the cable) and that water got inserted in to router's WAN port as well making it non-workable. The area near WAN port was wet and wifi was not working so I called ISP. He plugged that cable in LAN port and light for that port turned on so he said your WAN port is damaged. If you could try to make it dry, it might work. I justed opened up the router, allowed it to dry for some time and checked again but it was not working and then while reading online i got to know i can convert LAN port to WAN and hence all this started.
prat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi @kernel-panic69,

Can you please reply.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: