Beware of TP-link privacy breach

Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 18:48    Post subject: Beware of TP-link privacy breach Reply with quote
https://www.gizchina.com/2022/03/14/tp-link-routers-caught-transmitting-traffic-to-a-third-party-company/
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
not with DDWRT....
may be with stock firmware, witch i also doubt....but not impossible...i can put one in wireshark to find out... Razz

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
TP-Link is not alone. Reminds me of Netgear stock firmware web interface login 'settings statement'.

Enable router to automatically update to future firmware. This keeps your router up to date with the latest features and security fixes.

Select one of the following options:

I Agree I Disagree

Enable collection of router analytics data that will help NETGEAR improve our services and products.

Select one of the following options:

I Agree I Disagree

This is bullshit because you can agree or disagree, but this will never be same as enable or disable.

It will update the device regardless of any disagreement and surely router analytics data continues.

My EX7500 has updated itself more than once. These 'options' are just more data points to harvest.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
to be honest...most of the ISP provided routers in UK have an ansible and ISP controls the so called "automated firmware update process"...so, very often they can even brick their own routers...(it happened to me twice already), than you have to wait to get a new unit, more than a week,...with no compensation at all...so sweet..!!

Once you replace their unit with yours...your 3rd party router is constantly bombarded with attempts and invalid packets...their adsl/dsl modems are the same...all update controlled by the ISP and they have telemetry option, that if you manage to turn off, they come to your home and pretend something is wrong with your equipment and bully's and ect....and they want to change it or stick their nose in it.. they basically hate anyone that knows a bit of security and protection...and if you ask questions, it gets even worst Razz ....that's how they bailed out once (British Telecom, BT)...I started to ask questions and they decided to cut my contract, as they failed to provide any basic security + not willing to support/update firmware on their shitty units or answer any security related questions to me, nor any guarantee of anything, but they assure themself, with a contract that gives them bollocks permissions...and no responsibility...!!

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: