Install DD-WRT on WRT1900ACS V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
dkfusion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 19:11    Post subject: Install DD-WRT on WRT1900ACS V2 Reply with quote
Hi,
I may just be dumb or something but I am having trouble getting DDWRT to install on my WRT1900ACS V2

The current stock firmware that is installed is 1.0.3.187766
On the bottom of the router it has IC:3839A-WRT1900ACV2

I have tried to run the following via the GUI within Linksys - factory-to-ddwrt.bin, says that that the upgrade was successful. I try to reboot the router and the stock firmware still comes up.

If I re-login and try to upload ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin then my router becomes not accessible.

What am I doing wrong, or am I an idiot?
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
A WRT1900ACV2 is not a WRT1900ACSV2. The S matters.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sticky: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

It would also help us if you told us which specific version of DD-WRT you tried flashing as there may be a chance that you are using a bad build.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
dkfusion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
[img]https://imgur.com/LhfzweY[/img]
Here is a photo from the bottom of the router. It says both AC and ACS

I was grabbing the files from 2020/12-31-2020-r45219/ - https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/12-31-2020-r45219/linksys-wrt1900acsv2/ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a WRT1900ACSv1, most likely (here's direct link to your image, too):

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Linksys_WRT1900ACS
https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900ACS
https://wiki.terrabase.info/wiki/Linksys_WRT1200AC,_WRT1900AC,_WRT1900ACS,_and_WRT3200ACM_Purchasing_Information

----------------------
crunch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, here is the label on my wrt1900acsv2
likeyea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
dkfusion wrote:

The current stock firmware that is installed is 1.0.3.187766

I had this happen with a 1200ac v1.

Flashing the latest factory-to-ddwrt resulted in the linksys interface claiming it succeeded, but then it would boot back to stock.

I read in another thread (which i can't find again) that it has to do with that version of stock firmware not liking the newer dd-wrt bin files.

the solution was to do the first install from oem interface with an older factory-to-ddwrt version. I used r34315, and then upgraded that to latest webflash, and that worked for me. Ymmv

I'm running r47942 at present.

Last edited by likeyea on Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:21; edited 1 time in total
dkfusion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally was able to get DD-WRT installed.

I tried searching for the original firmware for my WRT1900 but could not find one, so I tried to flash OpenWRT, which flashed without an issue. After that, I flashed the DD-WRT version and now I am running DD-WRT on my WRT1900
buboleck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue and the same router, on the same Linksys firmware, it is WRT1900ASC v1 (v2 is explicitly marked on the label next to the model e.g. WRT1900ACS v2). Same issue, I'm not able to flash the DD-WRT bin files, but I was able to flash the OpenWRT 21.02. I was wondering if there is any reference table what features are included in DD-WRT like Samba, Media server, ftp, Openvpn etc.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to go into the Linksys webUI and downgrade to previous version (at least once) or use web.archive.org to find the oldest firmware for your router, as applicable most likely. As far as a feature matrix, it's probably not updated, but a few clicks in the wiki...

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Version_Features

----------------------
dkfusion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried searching for an older firmware for my router and I could not find one, which is why I went the OpenWRT to DD-WRT route.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
dkfusion wrote:
I tried searching for an older firmware for my router and I could not find one, which is why I went the OpenWRT to DD-WRT route.

Can't say I've ever tried it, but I have certainly seem claims in the forum that you cannot flash dd-wrt from OpenWRT without going through the Linksys firmware as an intermediate step. I have no idea what the supposed issue is, but if anyone has any definite knowledge here, please speak up.

And don't use a year-old build. Security patches come frequently in this age of serious malware activity out there. You don't want to miss out. There have also been nice improvements in the last year in wireguard and OpenVPN and, per a fair number of reports now, in wifi compatibility with iOS devices. Get the wrong old build and I guarantee the wifi issue will drive your iPhone people nuts.

Ignore the router database. Its recommendations mean nothing. Look at the recent new-build threads in the Marvell forum. Unless you see credible trouble reports for your model router, go with the latest. Right now I'm on an end-of-May 2021 build, but I'm planning to upgrade to end of December 2021 shortly. That's in large part to make my iOS devices happier, but also May to December is about the most out of date with which I'm comfortable in general.

ALL: To see how bad the world of malware is now (a year ago when published), this reads like a thriller:
https://www.amazon.com/This-They-Tell-World-Ends-ebook/dp/B0877D6H28/
This is not an Amazon plug. Find it elsewhere by all means. But Amazon does have a free Kindle (or Kindle phone app) sample.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
dkfusion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
It took a few tries to get it to get DD-WRT to flash from OpenWRT. There were forums that I had read that said that it could not be done, and I am not a fan of just giving up because someone said that it could not be done.

I should have taken screen shots as you get a large popup with a few checkboxes on it

It was like the above image, but had a few more checkboxes on it. I unchecked all except for the Force Upgrade and that is what allowed me to go from OpenWRT to DD-WRT.

I did ignore the router database as I had read a few forum posts that the router database is not a good idea to use.I had gone directly to the FTP site to try and flash r47942, but that did not work at all. The only firmware that I could find from Linksys for my router was the current one that I had installed onto it.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I can't know what happened when you flashed from OpenWRT, but my concern is that you may not know either. Did it actually work? Or did it just seem to work while leaving hidden internal issues? I can get insanely bullheaded myself, but since there is no way to verify everything in dd-wrt is OK, just because of its complexity, I tend to want to be the pioneer only where I am in a position to test thoroughly, say on a bit of special-purpose scripting for the Startup section.

Nothing more to say but good luck and caveat hackor.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
likeyea wrote:
I had this happen with a 1200ac v1.

Flashing the latest factory-to-ddwrt resulted in the linksys interface claiming it succeeded, but then it would boot back to stock.
the solution was to do the first install from oem interface with an older factory-to-ddwrt version. I used r34411, and then upgraded that to latest webflash, and that worked for me...
This is correct also both 1200 and 1900 series are affected. The new builds are too large for stock firmware.
So the early 2018 build has been recommended in the past for factory-to-ddwrt, then after webflash current.
Another way is through serial just flash current factory-to-dd-wrt, optionally to both partitions, and move on.
OpenWrt do not keep settings, GUI force upgrade is relatively new, pass correct CLI syntax options or brick.
Of course not recommended else serial recovery. Only correct identification is bottom Model No. upper right.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: