Netgear R9000 SFP+ Port & Communication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tbenoit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 19:09    Post subject: Netgear R9000 SFP+ Port & Communication Reply with quote
Hey there! I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a NetGear R9000 running DD-WRT v3.0-r49212 std (06/16/22). I'm finally upgrading my network to 10Gbps but am experiencing some weirdness.

I have a new 10G switch (TP-Link TL-SX3008F). I purchased TP-Link 10Gb NICs as well (TX401). I also procured TP-Link SFP+ (TL-SM5310-T) to connect my PC to the switch and a Cable Matters SFP+ 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable to use to connect the switch to the router (I chose this because it is listed on the forums as being compatible: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1230130#1230130). I then procured new CAT8 cables for the devices I will connect to the switch.

I can connect to the switch from a PC, which seems to work fine (I can pull up the switch management interface). The issue comes when I connect to the SFP+ port on the back of the Netgear R9000 router. When I connect my switch, it gets a DHCP address from the router just fine. After that, it doesn't seem to be able to communicate to anything on the local network (even the router). I thought I probably just didn't have the switch configured properly, so I directly cabled my PC up to the router using one of the new RJ45 SFP+ modules and a CAT8 cable. I get the same result...DHCP serves up an IP, but then no communication seems to work.

I figure this is something simple that I just keep overlooking. Any thoughts? Smile
Sponsor
tbenoit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
To further test, I moved my 10G switch connection to the router off the NetGear SFP+ port and connected it to one of the Netgear's 1G ports, and communication works fine like that (not at 10G, of course, but traffic does flow). I have something "not right" with the Netgear SFP+ port.
MesMurized
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you search this site for this crazy port? You should. Enlightening. I also have an R9000, but after reading the inadequate NetGear development of this pre-spec model, I stopped thinking about ever using it. Reminded me of the old days of jumping the gun on IEEE specs approvals to get the advantage. We did too much. Win some, loose some.

I did notice one user is using the 10GB port, but it seems to be a special case/application.

If I misspoke about anything, sorry. My memories are not as vivid as they used to be. Good luck.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ya, I searched and read several threads on it. I've pretty much given up unless someone happened to reply with an "Oh ya, here is the answer" type of response Smile The good news is it isn't critical for my network as everything 10G is attached to my 10G switch, and I don't have multi-Gig internet service. When I do then I'll be building/buying a more appropriate 10G router.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use a 16 port 10GB switch as my network hub with the R9000 connected via optical fiber to a SFP+ port and the WAN connected to a gigabit cable modem. I do not use the switch ports or Wifi on the 9000, only the WAN and SFP so rebooting the router does not interrupt the internal networks in the house.

When I first started using the R9000 SFP it was with a direct connect SFP cable that suffered from intermittent disconnects to the 9000 that required a router reboot to clear. Switching to 10gb ethernet adapters did not stop the disconnects. As a side note my 10gb switch is hard wired to all corners of the house plus 2 additional switches making it easy to pick up interference and electrical impulses.

I finally switched to an optical fiber connection which electrically isolates the 9000 from the switch and the disconnects ceased.
YMMV

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
tbenoit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you share the vendor/part information for the optical fiber connection that works for you? I'd like to check that out.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
tbenoit wrote:
Can you share the vendor/part information for the optical fiber connection that works for you? I'd like to check that out.

Ordered via Amazon along with a short fiber jumper for my installation:

"Cable Matters 2-Pack 10GBASE-SR SFP+ to LC Multi Mode 10G Fiber Transceiver Modular for Cisco, Ubiquiti, TP-Link, Huawei, Mikrotik, Netgear, and Supermicro Equipment."

tbenoit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:

Ordered via Amazon along with a short fiber jumper for my installation:

"Cable Matters 2-Pack 10GBASE-SR SFP+ to LC Multi Mode 10G Fiber Transceiver Modular for Cisco, Ubiquiti, TP-Link, Huawei, Mikrotik, Netgear, and Supermicro Equipment."

Thanks for sharing that info!
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fiber adapters run cooler.
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also using the SFP+ port with a Finisar optical module. It's a FTLX8571D3BCL I think and has been rock solid.
I did have odd connection issues using Intel and Mellanox branded modules. Can't recall if I tried DACs or not.

Netgear's VERY short list of compatible modules
Netgear support site wrote:
10GBase-SR SFP+ module
- Avago AFBR-703SDZ
- Cisco SFP-10G-SR
- Finisar FTLX8571D3BCV (1G/10G)
- Sumitomo SPP5101SR-GL
- NETGEAR AXM761

1GBase-SX SFP module
- Cisco QFBR 5798LP(A)
- Linksys MGBSX1
- NETGEAR AGM731F

1GBase-T SFP module
- Cisco GLC-T
- Linksys MGBT-1
- NETGEAR AGM734

Direct Attach Cable (10GB)
- NETGEAR AXC753
- NETGEAR AXC761
- NETGEAR AXC763

ddaniel51 wrote:
The fiber adapters run cooler.

Cooler than RJ45 adaptors sure. Very little difference between optical and DAC though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: