Is it possible to daisy chain wireless access points?

sastek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 22:58    Post subject: Is it possible to daisy chain wireless access points? Reply with quote
I have a pair of routers wired together with router 2 setup as a wireless access point, as detailed here https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

I now need to add a 3rd router to the network. Can anyone tell me if it’s actually possible to daisy chain the 3 routers as shown below?

Main router - - - - - - wire - - - - - - router 2 - - - - - - wire - - - - - - router 3

So the 3 routers are hard wired together, and I’ve set router 3 up as a wireless access point using the same instructions above. If I wirelessly connect to router 3, I can’t access the Internet, or ping any other device on the network. Should this configuration work, or does router 3 need to be connected directly to the main router?
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, they can be daisy chained, though there are downsides. Mine currently are, & a split in the wire from 1 -> 2 a few weeks ago meant all 5 of my APs went down. I only had internet access in my living room. Wiring each independently would require wire runs that are either too long or just strung across floors & stairs though.
sastek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks mwbuss8, I'd plugged the cable into a LAN port on router 3, moving it to the WAN port got it working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: