Time Machine backups possible?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:10    Post subject: Time Machine backups possible? Reply with quote
There seems to be mixed information around and also a lot of old information.
Is it possible to use a USB HDD attached to dd-wrt for time machines backups on OS X Mountain Lion?

Everything i've read about dd-wrt and time machine suggest a Samba share, however there seems to be a lot of people saying Samba shares don't work with Time Machine on OS X Mountain Lion.

So before I go and buy a new USB HDD, is this possible?

Thanks

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do it. Set the hard drive up as a samba share. Search google for "time machine" and "samba". You have to create a special file on the hard drive based on your Mac address of your computer.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
I do it. Set the hard drive up as a samba share. Search google for "time machine" and "samba". You have to create a special file on the hard drive based on your Mac address of your computer.

Thanks, at least I know it's possible.
I have already searched for Samba and Time Machine and just found loads of posts saying OSX broke Samba shares.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaddy wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

Thanks, at least I know it's possible.
I have already searched for Samba and Time Machine and just found loads of posts saying OSX broke Samba shares.

I am using 10.6 only, so this could be true.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahh ok,

So does anyone else have Time Machine working on OS X 10.8.2?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaddy wrote:
Ahh ok,

So does anyone else have Time Machine working on OS X 10.8.2?

After spending a couple of weeks on it I think not. I have Netatalk running and can see and mount the drive on my mac, but Time Machine errors out when you select the drive.

I have more or less the same configuration running on an Ubuntu box, so I think the problem may be incompatible version (or configurations) of afpd, avahi or one of their dependencies.

If anyone has this sorted, please let me know.
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did in fact get this working and have hourly Time Machine backups working fine.

I tried for days then eventually found this site that had slightly different configs which worked: http://www.minigeek.org/?p=675

I also originally got it working by creating a sparsebundle file for the backups to go in to, but after a week Time Machine said it was corrupt. So I deleted it and just pointed Time Machine to the drive and it created it's own and seems to be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I have succeeded in compiling the latest Netatalk (3.0.2) and running it on my router. This was a non-trivial thing to do, but it appears to be working OK.

It seems like getting stuff added to the official optware distribution is a pain in the tooshie, so I thought I'd send a feeler out on whether this would be useful to others.

If there seems to be enough interested I'll pursue getting developer access to the distribution otherwise if you send me your email address I can email it to you. To get it working on broadcom routers it required adding another library, so it's two .ipks.

Thanks,

Dion
palito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
dionh wrote:
If there seems to be enough interested I'll pursue getting developer access to the distribution otherwise if you send me your email address I can email it to you. To get it working on broadcom routers it required adding another library, so it's two .ipks.

Of course, we are interested. Could you please share it with us how to do it? I'm novice in dd-wrt and I'm realy interested in Time Machine on dd-wrt.
Thanks!
atomicamp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 18:12    Post subject: Re: Time Machine backups possible? Reply with quote
ddaddy wrote:
There seems to be mixed information around and also a lot of old information.
Is it possible to use a USB HDD attached to dd-wrt for time machines backups on OS X Mountain Lion?

Everything i've read about dd-wrt and time machine suggest a Samba share, however there seems to be a lot of people saying Samba shares don't work with Time Machine on OS X Mountain Lion.

So before I go and buy a new USB HDD, is this possible?

Thanks

It's now 2023 and I am using MacOS Monterey 12.7.1. Is it NOW possible to use an external HDD connected to the router as a network time machine drive? Or are we encountering the same problems still in 2023?

https://github.com/danrancan
dan@danran.rockst
My Blog https://danran.rocks
Join me on key base! and Add me on Keybase

Current Linksys WRT3200acm Firmware "DD-WRT v3.0-r51140 std (12/31/22)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can backup via SMB to a disk or partition that is formatted AFPS/AFPS Encrypted. Part deux. Now, the question is whether or not Samba shares are working with your MacOS version.

Mod edit: Please continue discussion in Samba Shared HDD for MacOS Time Machine Network Backups
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: