Fan control Linksys WRT1900AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
LogicalUnit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:58    Post subject: Fan control Linksys WRT1900AC Reply with quote
Random follow-up query: is there any way to manually control the fan speed of this device?

So is it possible to do this? I haven't found any option in DD-WRT but maybe it's possible from the commmand line.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have splitted your post off and made a new thread.

Please open a new thread for a new question otherwise it cannot be searched properly Sad

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello.

Everything is possible in the world of Linux. Caveat emptor. I'm not responsible for your house burning down, kittens drowning or babies being killed (but not limited to those events) in the process of you being you and doing something I advised or not advised.

I'm not familiar with your router's internals, if it has a FAN or not (pics on the web says it does), if it does, then DD-WRT should have an option on the Services -> Services tab see attached screenshot. <- this is what you should be aiming for with internal fans.

You should be running a pretty recent build of DD-WRT at time of writing this is v3.0-r47853 std (12/15/21)

If that option is missing and the fan is internal then its possible by finding out what the gpio pin is for the fan and the we could cat /proc/dmu/temperature and enable / disable the gpio pin for the fan.

On my router completely different from yours, I have external fans plugged into a USB port and I control them via a script, since the option in DD-WRT doesnt account for USB fans.

Bare in mind this isn't for you to consume as is, its for an entirely different router and has external fans via USB, Im just posting it so you have some idea of what is possible https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1244888#1244888

Take care now

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Aug 16, 2022 20:05; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess it works. Can any Marvell folks confirm that fan control works in DD-WRT?

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/linux/universal/linux-4.9/.config_mvebu

Line 2343 # CONFIG_SENSORS_GPIO_FAN is not set
Line 2395 CONFIG_SENSORS_PWM_FAN=m

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
LogicalUnit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks the-joker, I am running build r47581, and there is indeed an option For High Temperature (fan on) and Normal Temperature (fan off) under Services -> Services.

I'm going to tweak these and see how I go. My problem is that the fan basically oscillates between on and off, so I think the current settings are right at the threshold.

If possible, I'd like to get a reading of the current temperature. Do you know how to do this? /proc/dmu does not exist on my device.
kosmos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
it would already be possible to know which pin is activated for FAN on / off e.g. on WRT3200 then you could control a MOSFET to operate the fan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: