Slow FTP r7000 build r47510 and r47665

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 23:29    Post subject: Slow FTP r7000 build r47510 and r47665 Reply with quote
Since upgrading to this build I have had very slow proftpd. I am getting on one drive 2.5MBS and another 5MBS, previously I could get 14-20MBS from both. This makes streaming unusable.

Last edited by portsup on Sun Nov 28, 2021 0:08; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just installed the latest build with no reset and it fixed the ftp speed issue

But I was using using ftp to transfer and it was fine getting 15-18MBS. I did a SCP connection and got the previous 5MBS then when I tested FTP again it would only do 5MBS. Seems like a bug.
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok using latest build r47665 now. Speed is fine for ftp at 15-18MBS but if I make a SCP connection to the router the speed gets capped at 5MBS. If I restart the router the speed returns to normal. I have my router set to restart once a day. I can only guess this is the same problem as build r47510 and I must have someone or something trying to make a SCP connection to my router and causing this.

I guess temp solution is to disable SCP.
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes disabling Secure Shell on the Services tab is a temp fix.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@portsup

Just describing the collision between SSH/FTP you found is not enough to try guess whats going on, this is not a typical issue.

IMO you could have tried to restart the proftpd service after using SCP or even restarting SSH or both services from command line as a test and making sure you have syslog/klog enabled to see if there are any messages that maybe relevant and perhaps shed some light on this issue.

Also, you dont say if you are downloading via wired/wireless, which could also be relevant and something you may want to also test to try to isolate the problem to a specific setup.

Else your guess is just as valid as any guess what is actually going on.
If I had to guess, something must be consuming too much CPU or other resource depending on whats actually being used and that in turn affects the speed.

tl;dr

Restarting the services, one at a time after using ftp/scp to trigger the issue, is a better alternative for debugging or working around, since it can be automated if it needs be.

Take care.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I will do some testing with service restarts when I get a chance.

I am using wireless only. It's as simple as trying to make a SCP connection, doesn't even need to be successful with the right login but after that FTP speeds drop.

The problem then is using SCP to restart a service will cause the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: