Broken wireless tables status pages and long translation

Goto page 1, 2  Next
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:56    Post subject: Broken wireless tables status pages and long translation Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
I wanted to confirm is this changeset the reason for a font size size increase it seems about eight to ten percent?

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47700

Whack-a-mole recently introduced and wondering if size increase is set in stone, maybe decision by BrainSlayer.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1252328#1252328

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1252337#1252337

I see BS having to compromise, like this.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47755

I have been avoiding WebUI for months so just now starting to see the improvements. Thank you for your work!

Hello

So it would be better to have a bug report on forums, so everyone can see so I made one.

Regarding font size:

There is an increase of EXACTLY 0.06px (notice zero, dot, zero six) so IDK where this 8/10% idea comes from. The decision was mine because previously the font-size was 69% which is 11.04px and now its 75% which is 12px, now... The problem is browser scaling due to browser font-size.

There is NO way to force browsers to use the font size defined

The issues reported have nothing to do with this.

1) was a bug I introduced which was already fixed. I had no idea that a public build was released with this code, for which I can only can apologize.

2) Translations have to be short this has always been an issue there is no way to force the translation / string that e.g. is 100px long, into a 50px long space without causing visual issues.

Regarding sort arrows.

Clearly I can see that sort arrows are a problem for some fonts so I will remove them.

Re: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47755 its not a fix for the font size or anything of the sort, that is merely now using translation vs hardcoded strings.

Again when people translate things its very easy to forget that we have only a fixed amount of space where table headers are concerned, no amount of magic is going to make this issue disapear.

its just not possible to make something -this-long-translated-string- into -this-space- and make it magically pretty. The only thing I can do is cut it off by doing -this-long-...- and then no one can read it.

The other solution is to make translated text that is too long for the space, to scroll it, but there is no CSS solution for this because CSS its a all or nothing solution, meaning it would all scroll.

There are limitations and I have to experiment with solutions to the specific UI design like ours its just normally users dont see the failed experiments like this time.
But shit happens, its beta everything.

So here it is. Will ping some ppl towards this thread.

In future (everyone reading) please report UI bugs in a separate thread, I need to reply to the specific issues and using build threads for bug talk is never going to work.

Thanks for your understanding...

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding the arrows...

There was old reports of people not knowing that some tables are sortable, adding the arrows was a logical step but I also make the cursor into a pointer to indicate somthing here is actionable.

People using fonts that don support Unicode characters like the sort arrows will see a square or whatever, and also there is an issue where the arrows dont render like sub pages e.g. Site_Survey.asp and other such sub pages that open in popups. Some issue with how those are rendered stops the respective CSS loading or something.

Since the arrows are just too long a string (two characters a space (\00A0) and the arrow (\23F7 or \23F6) ) and we have in some pages a premium on table header column width and when we add long ass translation strings this will cause a bad UX.

So from https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47760 we dont have arrows anymore, until such time, we can have a different solution for the long translation to limited space issue on some pages like Status_Wireless.asp where wireless table is shorter than 87em total width. (yes we need minimum the wireless/other tables with so many columns to be 87em like in Info.htm)

mrjcd wrote:
yea, arrows for sorting --- lot of good that does if you still are on 3 second refresh ....they go right back to how the were.
I'm old and can't read/comprehend anything in 3 seconds these days Laughing

msoengineer wrote:
Might there be a way that when you click on the tables to sort by a column they don't update back to their default?

For example, on the status page if you sort the signal strength it will sort the table accordingly and then at the refresh of data the table goes back to its default sort state.

This would be a huge help!

This is easily solved, you can disable auto refresh or set say 10 seconds or whatever suits your attention span, by default its set at 3 seconds,

See Administration tab > Management tab. Auto-Refresh (in seconds) [ 3 ]

0 disables (what I use) but I recommend a 10 ~ 30 second depending on your preference/setup amount of clients you may have and time to deal with it.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:13; edited 1 time in total
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Re: Broken wireless tables status pages and long translation Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

1) was a bug I introduced which was already fixed. I had no idea that a public build was released with this code, for which I can only can apologize.

I kind of guessed that.

ho1Aetoo wrote:

maybe already fixed or not r47748

No need to apologize...
Found bugs are posted in case the developers haven't noticed them yet.

the-joker wrote:
2) Translations have to be short this has always been an issue there is no way to force the translation / string that e.g. is 100px long, into a 50px long space without causing visual issues.

Regarding sort arrows.

Clearly I can see that sort arrows are a problem for some fonts so I will remove them.

Re: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47755 its not a fix for the font size or anything of the sort, that is merely now using translation vs hardcoded strings.

Again when people translate things its very easy to forget that we have only a fixed amount of space where table headers are concerned, no amount of magic is going to make this issue disapear.

its just not possible to make something -this-long-translated-string- into -this-space- and make it magically pretty. The only thing I can do is cut it off by doing -this-long-...- and then no one can read it.

The other solution is to make translated text that is too long for the space, to scroll it, but there is no CSS solution for this because CSS its a all or nothing solution, meaning it would all scroll

I'm not quite clear what you're referring to in that statement.
But that in the 2nd picture is not a pure translation problem.
I can also see in other screenshots with english language that the table distances are not correct.

Screenshot from mrjcd (see attached picture)
(i have borrowed the picture and removed sensitive data - i hope this is not a problem Smile )

the-joker wrote:
In future please dont report UI bugs in the build threads, I need to reply to the specific issues and using build threads for bug talk is never going to work.

Thanks for your understanding...

but hey, that's what the build threads are for - to report bugs that affect specific builds
At the end of the day, these are just small GUI problems and nothing earth-shattering.

But if you want it that way - no problem
best regards

mainea8500_status-LAN.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.85 KB
 Viewed:  2846 Time(s)

mainea8500_status-LAN.png

the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
But that in the 2nd picture is not a pure translation problem.

It is, understand that the length of the column is limited on these tables in some pages, and adding two characters a space and the arrow causes these artifacts and text being shown even outside when the word is too long.

Arrows are now gone and the MAC address issue should also be fixed.

As for UI reports on build threads, you can report the issue there, but I would prefer separate threads so the conversation about issues doesn't interrupt the build thread topic.

As for the screenshot.... I dont understand the context only the IPv6 address overflow should be hidden by the ellipsis. (...) I think. the MAC addresses cut off was solved already.

Thanks for understanding.

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please DO mention UI bugs in build threads, as many of us are trying to decide which build to flash. But as the-joker suggests, the debugging discussion should probably be elsewhere.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Regarding font size:

There is an increase of EXACTLY 0.06px (notice zero, dot, zero six) so IDK where this 8/10% idea comes from. The decision was mine because previously the font-size was 69% which is 11.04px and now its 75% which is 12px, now... The problem is browser scaling due to browser font-size.

There is NO way to force browsers to use the font size defined

The issues reported have nothing to do with this.

0.96px correct? I zoomed out once to 90% and font size appears as before. 69/75 is 0.92, 75/69 is 1.0869.

Sorry for providing a bad example as the first link also dealt with corruption, but my attention perked after
seeing IPv6 addresses truncated and MAC address wrap at fifth octet.

**:**:**:**:
**:**

There are simple words wrapping.

Radion
ame

Uptim
e

Performed clean installs of current Firefox and Waterfox, also portables available ESR & Classic. Chrome
and Edge were updated, then confirmed all defaults.

1920x1080, Windows DPI 100% default. Zoom is Ctrl+0. Double confimed fonts and sizes never changed
and are default in all, OS and browsers so an out of the box experience and what end users typically see.

Anyway, maybe the font size increase has nothing to do with any wrapping issues which is why a PM sent.
But, maybe current state of browsers or behaviors should be taken into account as well the visual results.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why is the Radioname column there? I have never seen it being filled with anything.
Just wasting space with an empty column.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Why is the Radioname column there? I have never seen it being filled with anything.
Just wasting space with an empty column.

When my Router2 uses client mode to connect to Router1 wifi, Router1's status shows the Radioname - just the router name itself - of Router2.

I assume that when I travel with Router2 and connect it to hotel wifi, the hotel can see its name. Not wanting to be the only hotel wifi client with a radioname showing, I nvram set the router's name to a space!

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeahuh, don't know that we really need 'Radioname' Wink
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
It might be something tied to another feature that people don't necessarily consider.

#letscomplainaboutit

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
then again --- this is lots better now Twisted Evil

EDIT: updated to better pic & yeahuh, this is r47762 Razz
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
and webif ../Status_Lan.asp looky better
got rid of the arrows but coloums will still sort iffn you click on them ... same as always.
I did add a bit of time to the refresh ...so I could take pic of it sorted by interface Razz
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have now unfortunately due to commit r47755 a new error

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47755

Mr. Green Mr. Green

7945645848.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.66 KB
 Viewed:  2521 Time(s)

7945645848.jpg

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then come up with the best proper German translation for those words? Rolling Eyes Razz Twisted Evil
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't need to, I didn't change it.
apart from that, the commit says "but its the only one which fits to the table".
well, it doesn't seem to fit anymore

correct would be:

share.input="eingehend";
share.output="ausgehend";
share.total="insgesamt";

but since this does not fit "shrug"

in / out / total everyone understands that too

share.input="in";
share.output="out";
share.total="Total";

apart from that, the word "Total" also exists in german and has the same meaning

https://www.duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/total

so you could also do the following:

share.input="Rein";
share.output="Raus";
share.total="Total";

where "Rein" / "Raus" is terrible german

I don't think BS needs German lessons from me, he speaks fluent German himself.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: