QoS can't get full bandwidth..can I set QoS on upload only?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02    Post subject: QoS can't get full bandwidth..can I set QoS on upload only? Reply with quote
I have a Linksys Cisco EA6500v2 and am running File/Kernel: DD-WRT v3.0-r45036 std (12/18/20)...I'll upgrade to the latest this weekend.

Up until today, I've had a 200Mbps connection and QoS worked very well for me. I've upgrade to a 450Mbps connection and now I can't get full download bandwidth.

When I have QoS off, I get about 450Mbps down and 22Mbps up. When I turn QoS on, the most download speed I can get is 260Mbps.

I've set QoS Downlink to 450000kbps (and I've tried setting it higher), port is set to WAN. I'm running HTB with FQ_CODEL_FAST, and I've tried all the other options (HFSC, PIE, CAKE, FQ_CODEL, etc.).

All other QoS options and settings are off.

Am I maxing out the ability of the router to run QoS on my bandwidth? Would a newer router get full bandwidth?

Is there a way to configure QoS so that it only operates on upload but not on download?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you Shortcut Forwarding Engine set to SFE or CTF?

They are not compatible with QOS.

You are clearly at the edge with this router hardware.

Disable both QOS and Shortcut Forwarding Engine, and you will get the raw speed this hardware can handle.

CTF is a proprietary Broadcom solution. It operates at the switch firmware and speeds up wired LAN to WAN. Don't remember if this was implemented before or after your build.

SFE is a software solution bypassing some code in the firewall.

That huge difference between Upload and Download speed can cause issues where the reply packets for the download can saturate the up-link. I have a fibre connection with the same up and down speed, so I have not experienced this.
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just put 0 in the QOS download speed and then the following in Administration > Commands > Firewall.
Code:
modprobe fast-classifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: