[SOLVED] WAN IPv6 Disabled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:41    Post subject: [SOLVED] WAN IPv6 Disabled Reply with quote
Several months ago my ISP (Comcast) switched to vCMTS (in my area) and since then with my Netgear R6300v1 router with the original Netgear firmware cannot maintain IPv6 for more than an hour or two. With the DD-WRT firmware the router cannot even recognize IPv6 from the WAN (on the System Information page it states WAN IPv6 - disabled). I am using dd-wrt.v24-47720_NEWD-2_K3.x_giga-R6300 firmware. If I connect my computer directly to the cable modem it recognizes IPv6. I have tried Native IPv6 from ISP and DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation without any success. Once on a reboot of the router (without changing any settings) I was able to get WAN IPv6 and my computer recognized the IPv6 from the router. After many other reboots I was never able to duplicate it.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by PaulGo on Sat Apr 23, 2022 17:40; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like DD-WRT IPv6 default settings is not working for you; therefore DD-WRT requires a custom setup unless someone in this forum is using the same ISP you should get some help or use the DD-WRT Form Search to look for answers. The other option talk to your ISP Support or go to the ISP Forum for answers.

Another thing I've read on the forum that Enabling QoS breaks IPv6, not sure if it's build related.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently very few Comcast customers are on vCMTS and probably most of those who are on it don't know about IPv6. Comcast states Netgear is working on a firmware solution for currently supported routers. I have done searches and tried recommended solutions to get dd-wrt to recognize IPv6 on the WAN but none has worked. I do not have QoS implemented.

Since Comcast is a major ISP in the United States and soon will be implementing vCMTS throughout the US. Probably other cable systems will follow. So IPv6 WAN connection may become a major problem for users of dd-wrt.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
IPv6 is not as "user friendly" in my opinion... I assume that you are using all of the default settings in DD-WRT for IPv6? How long do you wait to see if your router gets an IPv6 address? (sometimes there are large delays... like 24hrs for initial config)
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
With vCMTS the lease renewal period is two hours. When I had CMTS several months ago before I tried dd-wrt the lease renewal period was two days. As I previously had mentioned with the original Netgear firmware IPv6 would be recognized on a reboot but lose IPv6 after an hour or two so I assume it was related to the lease renewal. Since I have been trying different thing I have not had the R6300 connected without a reboot for more than several hours. I will try a longer period.
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I waited 24 hours and still no IPv6 from the WAN.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does your ISP give you any information about settings for IPv6?

If not we have to guess... do you have any logs enabled so we can view...

The basic settings I have (different ISP/setup):
IPv6 enable
DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation
prefix length 64

Avoid DHCP6 client release: Enable
Dhcp6c custom: enable
Code:

interface eth0 {
 send ia-na 0; #dhcp6
 send ia-pd 0; #request prefix delegation
 send rapid-commit;
 request domain-name-servers;
 script "/sbin/dhcp6c-state";
};
id-assoc pd 0 {
 prefix-interface br0 {
  sla-id 0;
  sla-len 0;
 };
};
id-assoc na 0 { };

This should be just for the client aspect... then for server below:

dhcp6s: enable
sequential IPs: enable
Radvd: enable

sequential IPs is personal preference

what you can do is log into your router and via command line do:
Code:
ping6 -c 5 ff02::1%eth0
ping6 -c 5 ff02::1%br0

This has dd-wrt get routing responses from WAN (eth0) and LAN (br0) sides via ipv6 standard
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion,

I am a true novice with DD-WRT since I only installed it a few days ago.

Based upon my understanding of your instructions I did the first part of your instruction about Dhcp6 and Dhcp6c. I made sure the following was implemented:

I then saved and rebooted the router. I still have no WAN IPv6.

Under Administration - Commands I entered
but I did not get any results.

Comcast (my ISP) does not have any information on how to implement IPv6. Also, in my area they have implemented vCMTS which is very new so it is unlike many other parts of the country.

Last edited by PaulGo on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:07; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, let me see if I am wrapping my brain around this. You have no hardware cable modem or modem/router whatsoever?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an Docsis 3.1 cable modem which is connected to my router. If I connect the cable modem directly to my Windows 10 computer it will get IPv6.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I somehow figured it was a rhetorical question. I have a feeling that vCTMS is irrelevant; I don't think they changed how they have IPv6 configured by going virtual. If that is the case, then there's a lot of how-to's out there for other network gateway solutions that are wrong. And all of them I have read pretty much uses the same settings as DD-WRT default for IPv6... but I have also seen a few posts about how their IPv6 is not working...

----------------------
PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is why I believe it is related to Comcast's implementation of vCMTS. With the original Netgear provided firmware (latest available version) before vCMTS was implemented I was able to connect and stay connected to IPv6. After the implementation of vCMTS several months ago I could connect to IPv6 after a reboot but lose IPv6 after an hour or two (vCMTS changed the lease time from two days to two hours). With the original Netgear firmware after the implementation of vCMTS without a reboot I first had to use 6 to 4 tunnel to get a LAN IPv6 address and then running DHCP to get a WAN IPv6 address. Again, IPv6 would only be maintained for an hour or two.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, there are only two things at play here : Comcast's IPv6 / vCTMS situation and (likely) what dhcp6 / IPv6 implementations are in the stock firmware or DD-WRT. Configuration issue or Comcast is b0rked. This is why I think that reserving all the code blocks when TCP/IP went public was a bad idea. Because now we have to deal with the haphazardly implemented IPv6 and CGNAT.

I would have to check configs and base code and verify what is being used in DD-WRT for dhcp client and server for IPv6; last I knew, I believe it was the code in the first link:

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/tree/master/src/router/dhcpv6

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/tree/master/src/router/busybox/networking/udhcp

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/tree/master/src/router/dnsmasq

Perhaps it's time to review some things in the name of functionality and/or code reduction. IRT Wide-DHCP6 (first link), I tracked down the following information:

https://ipv6int.net/software/wide_dhcpv6.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wide-dhcpv6/ (see bugs)
http://wide-dhcpv6.sourceforge.net/
http://dhcpv6.sourceforge.net/ (dead) -> http://fedorahosted.org/dhcpv6/ (dead)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Fedorahosted-retirement
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dibbler/
http://www.dhcpv6.org/ (dead link, does not resolve)

We literally cannot use the ISC dhcp client and server, etc. in embedded linux IRT custom firmware due to code size; I don't know exactly what the stock firmware is using, but I do recall seeing it in Linksys E-series device code tarballs in the past.

----------------------
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the windows 10 machine gets an IPv6 address, than the router should be no different because it should be acting like a client the same way... DD-WRT's ipv6 stack is not broken... it is that we are misunderstanding the posters usage or setup... I know Comcast sucks... but they should be able to provide some usage or they provide hardware which people are to use (and thus we have to reverse engineer). I know there are posts of people with IPv6 on pfsense with comcast

If you are on your dd-wrt router do you have an IPv6 local address?

If you got no response using either of those commands that means that somethign is not connected correctly... IPv6 depends heavily on pings and if neither side is responding to pings because those are local discovery pings that unless they are being dropped (bad practice). Not to say that you cannot do bad practice, but it makes it harder (I have done this in some network labs to prove points)
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
PaulGo wrote:
Wildlion,

I am a true novice with DD-WRT since I only installed it a few days ago.

Based upon my understanding of your instructions I did the first part of your instruction about Dhcp6 and Dhcp6c. I made sure the following was implemented:

I then saved and rebooted the router. I still have no WAN IPv6.

Under Administration - Commands I entered
but I did not get any results.

Comcast (my ISP) does not have any information on how to implement IPv6. Also, in my area they have implemented vCMTS which is very new so it is unlike many other parts of the country.

You might need to do this commands under the command line... and they should have been done one at a time... since the web-interpreter will think it is one command and not two ... so it probably errored out.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: