[SEMI FIXED] Graph SVG aspect ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:00    Post subject: [SEMI FIXED] Graph SVG aspect ratio Reply with quote
R7800 works fine here, but the font of the graph looks a bit "stretched" vertically, or it's me? Confused
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
@giuliomagnifico

I took the liberty of splitting this from build report, so as to not cause too much noise.

It's not vertically stretched its horizontally stretched. Wink

This is a SVG and the aspect ratio has always been set to none, however because there was a bug where if people use a browser font size that was not 16px, like 18px or greater full width was no longer used and there were large empty spaces on the right. It looked ugly.

So I made it use all available width which causes this side effect of looking stretched.

The solution that was acceptable for BrainSlayer was to use all width, I could have enabled the aspect ratio but that meant the SVG was centered with large spaces on left/right but looked all perfect. BS didnt want these empty spaces either.

So now Ive added more fixes https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47727#file2 that makes the svg use monospace font and Ive centered a few other elements and the issue you perceived will be sort of in disguise.

The real issue is that browsers have a nasty habit of depending on browser font-size set to scale things accordingly (this is wrong), and there is no way to tell the browsers to use font-sizes what developers set and stop fucking around with scaling things based on both font-size set by the website and browser.

So wait for builds newer than r47729 and the issue will be better disguised.

Thanks for report though.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again

Just to add a note of some worthy, that the graph progress is now 100% drawn right to left as all other such graphs on any (semi-sane) software. It is also drawn in the background, so when the progress covers the bandwidth text markers they are drawn ontop and thus more readable.

Previously the graph progress filled from left to right until it filled the available width and then scrolled from right to left, looking quite odd and out of place.

Should provide for better UX while visiting this page.

Take care.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:28; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again

Just to add a note of some worthy, that the graph progress is now drawn now right to left as all other such graphs on any (semi-sane) software. It is also drawn in the background, so when the progress covers the bandwidth text markers they are drawn ontop and thus readable.

Should provide for better UX while visiting this page.

Take care.

giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi @ the-joker, thanks for you time, it's quite satisfy watch those graphs Very Happy can't wait to see the updated ones!
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

The latest build 47822 already has all such improvements.

Take care Wink

giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh I've just checked, thanks, the graphs are very nice, but the text still looks like a bit stretched to me, or I'm a bit fussy because I'm a graphic/photographer? Laughing
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im sure we can argue round how 1px being out of alignment is noticeable, as a graphic designer myself, I have to agree with you, I see it, you see it, and perhaps others see it too.

The issue is due to the aspect ratio of the svg, yes the graph is a dynamic SVG.

That has always been an issue because as I explained originally the preserveAspectRatio="none" as always been set to none and must be set to none, if we dont want large empty spaces to left/right of the graphs. Brainslayer said he prefers this as is.

Just to show you a graph with aspect ratio as it should be set, the issue will be gone but we get empty spaces to right/left of graph that varies depending on browser font size.

So You me and anyone else has to agree that its a compromise between one or the other at this time, until I have time to waste on something minor like this. Because this is displayed inside an iframe and that causes its own issues, depending on browser font-size and screen sizes.

If I increase viewport width it causes other issues like the graph draying is no longer edge to edge.

See attachment(s).

Take care now.

AsX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is another usability issue with the new graphs. When both In and Out are high the combined graph is darker, and when it overlaps the scale labels, the labels practically cannot be read anymore. Can the labels be just painted on top of the graphs? Or at least make text colors more contrast.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thhats for that report.

Yes I noticed this, obviously being me Wink

Perhaps, Ill try and see if I can do the same and override the colors via CSS like I did in Inspired themes, If I can and the classic themes CSS reaches the iframe then yes. Cant jump for joy just yet though.

It's usually a problem because there is no dark/light version of this, its just one for all atm. It use to be worse,contrast was not even there.

But if you read my previous, previous announcement, the graph is already drawn in the background now because of this issue exactly.

If you use inspired themes its much better so try use them for now.

Baby steps =)

AsX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see. I prefer a lighter theme so normal Elegant is just fine. You can also try placing text inside its own not transparent background div (same color as the graph surface) so when it's overlapped it will be inside a box. May look a little ugly though...
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugly, can stay out of this...

Wont happen FYI.

I can try for better contrast but wont try for ugly and wont try just for light or just dark, as both are equally valid.

Take care Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: