WAN support IPv6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
keitocorp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 16:10    Post subject: WAN support IPv6 Reply with quote
Hi,

my ISP is planning to switch their modems (which is now in bridge-mode) over to IPv6, so my router will receive an IPv6 address. I don't know if my current setup supports this or where to verify it.

I'm using a Netgear R7800 with DD-WRT v3.0-r44340 std (09/10/20).

I saw saw posts to enable IPv6 in the management tab and another in the setup tab. I'm not planning to use IPv6 internally, this is just so the router CAN receive IPv6 address on the WAN. I didn't see any settings in the management tab that correlates to IPv6. The setup tab did, but i couldn't confirm if this is where i had to change things (The help page wasn't working for me, blank page).

How can i verify whether my device supports it or how to configure it (if needed)?
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
@keitocorp

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Have fun exploring your device, also your FW is very very old, you should upgrade and since its that old you should reset nvram via command line also and reconfigure manually again.

See this thread for some tips https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330847&highlight=

Take care

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.37 KB
 Viewed:  1275 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
keitocorp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the_joker,

much appreciated. A picture indeed tells a thousand words. i've set it up as described, hopefully everything goes without a hitch.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are not going to use ipv6 internally then there is no point... only the router would be able to use IPv6 (it could use this for dns)... your devices behind the router would only generate ipv4 and the router does not translate ipv4 to ipv6
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
keitocorp wrote:
@the_joker,

much appreciated. A picture indeed tells a thousand words. i've set it up as described, hopefully everything goes without a hitch.

I just literally toggled the setting ON for the purpose of illustrating. Those are the default settings, it may or may not work with the ISP side, idk what those will be, you should ask them.

Having said that, your ISP's modem should handle that automatically and hand out the IPv6 address to the router, just in case then if it doesn't work with this setting OFF then you can turn it on and play around.

Having said that, again, IPv6 isn't going to have any benefits speed wise, and I doubt they just disable IPv4, so if I were you I would do nothing unless things break, dont fix them.

I also don't have a dedicated IP (IPv4), mine is a shared public IP pool.
I would also, never want a fixed IP, the ISP try to sell/charge you for the privileged and there is little reason for 99% of private users to need one.

I don't have IPv6 WAN/LAN side either, in fact, I actually disable IPv6 in all my NIC's properties)

Ugh too many words.

Take care.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just want to add that my ISP's IPv6 is not straight forward and they are unwilling to help with 3rd party routers and tell me 3rd party routers are unsupported. About a year ago I had major problems with the ISP's IPv6 Server's taking over 30min to hand an IPv6 address/configuration after reboot/power-up, and it wasn't just 3rd party routers even there own routers. From early this year to about a week ago everything was Great and now I started having IPv6 issues with about 20% packet loss every 30sec.

Last couple of days I dumped the ISP's IPv6 and gone with https://tunnelbroker.net/. I have used tunnelbroker for years with my 2 other sites I support for family and it has been totally reliable and easy to setup; unlike my ISP.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
@mac913

ISP's like that are a dime a dozen, should all be shot into space next time SpaceX decides to put garbage floating into space.

How hard is it to state the requirements for any setup, and if that isn't supported by any router/fw, its a whole different fish.

Yea, space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the ISPS floating in vacuum, boldly going where no ISP has gone before.

Enjoy =)

PaulGo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@mac913

ISP's like that are a dime a dozen, should all be shot into space next time SpaceX decides to put garbage floating into space.

How hard is it to state the requirements for any setup, and if that isn't supported by any router/fw, its a whole different fish.

Yea, space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the ISPS floating in vacuum, boldly going where no ISP has gone before.

Enjoy =)

I agree with you. Several months ago my ISP switched to vCTMS (in my area) and since then with my Netgear R6300v1 router with the original Netgear firmware it cannot maintain IPv6 for more than an hour or two. With the DD-WRT firmware the router cannot even recognize IPv6 from the WAN. It states WAN IPv6 is disabled). I also have the Netgear RAX45 router with the Netgear firmware and it has the same disconnect problem with IPv6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: