Upgrade FW: When to reset nvram + have human readable backup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Dodge DeBoulet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 21:41    Post subject: Upgrade FW: When to reset nvram + have human readable backup Reply with quote
Is there a specific version after which an upgrade to the latest beta needs a NVRAM reset? I'm running 44715 which is a bit over a year old now, and I'm thinking I should upgrade to something a bit more current, like r47665. I have a bunch of static leases, ssh key, port forwards and the msoengineer-optimized wireless settings that would all have to be re-configured if a reset is required.

I seem to remember that some change to the Atheros drivers caused issues for a few versions sometime within the last year, and a reset was the solution. But I'm getting older and my memory ain't what it used to be ...

I've been paying particular attention to how it works on the Netgear R9000, and it seems to have been fairly stable for most releases in the last 5-6 months.

With 44715 I've had issues once or twice a month where the 2.4GHz network would get wonky and I'd need to reboot the router to fix it. Unfortunately since my wife and I work from home there hasn't been a good time to devote effort to debugging it.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have the option to print each configuration page, popup, etc. to pdf files, as well as copying and pasting the output of 'nvram show' via telnet/ssh into a text file for further examination during reconfiguration. I only recommend a hard reset / nvram erase if problems arise after upgrading. You will want to likely use the "vanilla" 'firmware' option for both wireless radios if the "dd-wrt" option gives you problems.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Dodge DeBoulet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You have the option to print each configuration page, popup, etc. to pdf files, as well as copying and pasting the output of 'nvram show' via telnet/ssh into a text file for further examination during reconfiguration. I only recommend a hard reset / nvram erase if problems arise after upgrading. You will want to likely use the "vanilla" 'firmware' option for both wireless radios if the "dd-wrt" option gives you problems.

Yup, I've already done that with every configuration change I've made in preparation for an update. Was just wondering whether my memory was accurate re: a significant change that would mandate a reset occurred within the last year. As nice as it is to have all of your settings saved in printouts, it's still a bit of a chore to re-key it all ...

Thanks for the feedback.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Dodge DeBoulet

When you upgrade from significantly older version its better to start a fresh config and erasing nvram, thus avoids any gremlins that may occur for various reasons.

There are other options for backup, like for instance opening a SSH terminal to router.login and print the nvram current values to text file.
Note: substitute version with the current FW version or whatever suits your reference schema better.
Code:
nvram show > /tmp/nvram-backup-version.txt
then just SCP/SFTP/FTP the file to your desktop or preferred backup location which then can be used to manually reprogram nvram as a reference.

Don't try to restore the text file in one go, it has to one value at the time.

Have fun with command line.

Take care.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37; edited 2 times in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I splitted this of the build thread because build threads are for reporting about the builds
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx egc. =)

Take care and enjoy rest of the weekend.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: