more then one wifi access point settings

tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:13    Post subject: more then one wifi access point settings Reply with quote
can anyone help with some quick links or info on the best way to setup multiple ddwrt wifi AP in the same area to be all on the same SSID \ pass. so its a seamless connection.

the question i have is, if i have a fixed wifi device in between two AP it may bounce from one to the other. can i force connection to one device?

and i notice sometimes the one of the ddwrt router will stop taking wifi connection, if i try connect with mobile it just doesn't with no error. works again after reboot
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the host WDS router goes down will the others still work?

at the moment 3 AP work independent to give wifi and wan and are all wired into one main router for internet. if one plays up most wifi devices can still get signal from one of the others

problem is sometimes the devices will all hog the best signal and putting all the load into one

is there any other option without WDS

kernel-panic69 wrote:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 23:48    Post subject: Re: more then one wifi access point settings Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:
if i have a fixed wifi device in between two AP it may bounce from one to the other. can i force connection to one device?

Yes, you can create a white_list or black_list to force the fixed device to connect to only one.
tgvrfcedx wrote:
i notice sometimes the one of the ddwrt router will stop taking wifi connection, if i try connect with mobile it just doesn't with no error. works again after reboot

These kind of questions belong to the specific family of SOC forum. When posting there please mention the router model and build number, and whether you've tried with different builds.
tgvrfcedx wrote:
is there any other option without WDS

Yes, read about multiwan.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you can create a white_list or black_list to force the fixed device to connect to only one.

is this a setting in the ddwrt GIU? which area?

multiwan
is this for wifi AP? or just wan?[/i]
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I'm reading your description correctly, you have 1 internet connection running through a main router, then others wired to the main one, right?

If so, give all routers IP addresses on the same subnet as the main one, disable DHCP and set connection type to "Disabled." You can use the same SSID and password on all of them, and devices connected to any of them can communicate with each other, as they're now on the same network. All other routers are broadcasting the main router's network.

Atheros (at least the ones I have) units allow setting a minimum signal strength for clients, so they drop & pickup the next AP. I don't recall this being available on Broadcom. I only briefly used a Marvell device, so I don't remember on there.

As for not being able to connect to a certain router at times, make sure you're running a recent build (check build threads to see if others have tested on the same hardware). You can also schedule them to reboot occasionally in the admin tab.
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
mwbuss8 wrote:
If I'm reading your description correctly, you have 1 internet connection running through a main router, then others wired to the main one, right? YES

If so, give all routers IP addresses on the same subnet as the main one (already done) , disable DHCP and set connection type to "Disabled." (im not sure where and what this means) You can use the same SSID and password on all of them, (thats how its setup atm) and devices connected to any of them can communicate with each other, as they're now on the same network. All other routers are broadcasting the main router's network.
yes already working like this

Atheros (at least the ones I have) units allow setting a minimum signal strength for clients, so they drop & pickup the next AP. I don't recall this being available on Broadcom. I only briefly used a Marvell device, so I don't remember on there.

As for not being able to connect to a certain router at times, make sure you're running a recent build (check build threads to see if others have tested on the same hardware). You can also schedule them to reboot occasionally in the admin tab.

these are Atheros, signal isnt the best option as the fallback wont work as well if one wifi goes offline.
more so a priority list would be the best way. router1, if fail router 2, etc
[/b]
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your best option at this point would probably be setting different SSIDs on each AP. It will still be one network, but you will have control on the client side to connect to a specific AP.
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
it was setup that way originally which worked well for fixed clients, but using a mobile device on the network tends to stick on the weak network but still may be the simpler option. thanks

mwbuss8 wrote:
Your best option at this point would probably be setting different SSIDs on each AP. It will still be one network, but you will have control on the client side to connect to a specific AP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: