[SOLVED] WRT3200 ACM not connecting to Dehumidifier's WiFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 18:47    Post subject: [SOLVED] WRT3200 ACM not connecting to Dehumidifier's WiFi Reply with quote
Hey guys, I'm having difficulty getting a Wi-Fi enabled dehumidifier that I just purchased connected to my DDWRT access points and routers. The diagram in the picture describes roughly my WIRED network. I have a 3 of these WRT3200ACM routers one in the basement that is connected to the cable modem. The rest of my router's behave only is access points. DHCP is turned on only in the basement router. In the basement I have a brand new Honeywell dehumidifier with Wi-Fi capability. I've tried several instances to try to register the dehumidifier with my wi-fi, however it will not work. I know DDWRT tends to be a little bit buggy when it comes to connecting to Wi-Fi. The dehumidifier uses 2.4 GHz frequency only and it looks like it tries to connect. I log into my router and I see the MAC address appear on the site survey, I then get an error message on the Honeywell app indicating that DHCP cannot assign an IP address. I'm trying to figure out how I can troubleshoot what the problem could be, what software tools I could use and where in dtwrt I could use to get a log of what's going on.

I did a quick test and setup my phone as a hotspot and the dehumidifier connected immediatley and registered onto the honeywell app. I then tried creating another 2.4ghz network on my router again in the most minimal fashion (auto channels and no security) it connected immediatly. I then started added features onto the wifi connection until it failed and it fails whenever I add security (WPA2). My network is setup for WPA2 with AES. I tried all security configurations and regardless of what I use it fails to connect as long as I have security enabled.

I then looked into the Dehumidifier specs and it says it only supports WPA2-PSK with authentication type AES. I was doing some research and some old forms are saying DD-wrt dosen't support WPA2-PSK, but they mentioned other security options that should work. I've tried several options within the security section for the 2.4 Ghz, including using regular WPA and it won't connect.
It only seems to connect with the security is disabled.
Sponsor
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
My first thought and probably not your problem but . . .

Do you have Wireless/MAC Filter enabled for "Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network"?

If so has the dehumidifier MAC been added???
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't find any technical specs on any of the Honeywell wi-fi enabled dehumidifiers, but maybe it has that Chinese ESP* chipset garbage in it....
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I can't find any technical specs on any of the Honeywell wi-fi enabled dehumidifiers, but maybe it has that Chinese ESP* chipset garbage in it....

Thanks, this is the dehumidifier

https://www.homedepot.com/p/70-Pint-Smart-Dehumidifier-TP70AWKN/313147199

Model TP70AWKN

They actually sell two different models of this one with a built-in pump and this one with WIFI. I choose the wifi model thinking of the advantages of being able to put it on a sched. Should've picked a built-in pump one if I can't get this to work.
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
My first thought and probably not your problem but . . .

Do you have Wireless/MAC Filter enabled for "Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network"?

If so has the dehumidifier MAC been added???

I don't have MAC filtering enabled on anything. I have maybe 15 - 20 WiFi devices in my house and they all connect effortlessly.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was looking for hardware specs IRT the wifi. It's 2.4GHz only, but no details on what wireless chipset is being used. Since it's made in China, there is no telling what hardware is in it. Since we don't have that information nor any detailed wifi settings on your device(s), we would be making random guesses as to what to do...

----------------------
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you suspect an esp8266 chipset you will need to setup your wifi accordingly. 3200's do not like this chipset when running DD-WRT. Lots of notes in the forum about this. I personally keep all my esp devices on my 1900's so I can run my 3200 2.4Ghz as intended. They will function on the 3200 but only with settings setup accordingly.
Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55460 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55460 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55460
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55460
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
WENED wrote:
If you suspect an esp8266 chipset you will need to setup your wifi accordingly. 3200's do not like this chipset when running DD-WRT. Lots of notes in the forum about this. I personally keep all my esp devices on my 1900's so I can run my 3200 2.4Ghz as intended. They will function on the 3200 but only with settings setup accordingly.

So I'm thinking now to take this apart and take photos of the board. I'll be back Very Happy Very Happy
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Famous last words... ^_^ But yes, this is probably the best idea, figure out what exact hardware is in the dehumidifier to see if there is a possible solution.

----------------------
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Famous last words... ^_^ But yes, this is probably the best idea, figure out what exact hardware is in the dehumidifier to see if there is a possible solution.

So I pulled the entire unit apart and found the wifi module. It was attached to the front in it's own seperate box. I've posted these images here for everyone who may have this issue. You guys were right. When I googled this part number it came back as an ESP266EX (not sure what the ex is for).

What's also interesting is the bin file that's written on the label. From googling the datasheet it looks like there's a rom in it to store firmware. So theoretically I guess if you could find a "similar" type wifi module with built-in flash you could replace it (assuming voltage is the same). Or maybe an Arduino? Not worth the mess, I have too many projects. Very Happy
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The photos supplied here really do not help determine what chip is on that board, but glad you found the information.

https://fccid.io/2ANDL-TYWE1S

----------------------
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The photos supplied here really do not help determine what chip is on that board, but glad you found the information.

So if you google TYWE1S it will take you to this site on the first page.

https://airtake-public-data.oss-cn-hangzhou.aliyuncs.com/goat/pdf/1579167210991/TYWE1S%20Datasheet_Tuya%20Smart_Docs.pdf

This module is made by Tuya and in the datasheet they quote the same ESP8266 that you guys were talking about.
steppinthrax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

So you guys were great. I searched this forum and many mentioned to DISABLE WMM support. I went into my 2.4ghz channel and clicked advanced settings. I disabled WMM and did a reboot. The dehumidifer connects PERFECTLY. I re-enabled again and rebooted and the app stopped connecting to the dehumidifier. I tired a test of re-registering the dehumidifier on WMM and tried w/o and it appears the WMM enabled is preventing this from connecting.

So here's the question, what am I losing with disabled WMM, looks like its something that prioritizes Media (youtube, video?????) I have so much network coverage that everything in my house runs 5Ghz, only a few run 2.4
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's for streaming media. If you don't use your 2.4 band for that, it's a negligible loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Multimedia_Extensions

----------------------
oliver44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/users-needed-to-test-wi-fi-stability-on-linksys-wrt3200acm-wrt32x-on-openwrt-21-02/101700

https://ipv6.chappell-family.com/ipv6tcptest/
https://en.internet.nl/connection/e91f490fe1c54cb2b78145c0ab0d2b5a/results
http://www.dnssec-or-not.com/
https://dnscheck.tools/#results
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: