SMB on r47644 std (11/15/21)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:53    Post subject: SMB on r47644 std (11/15/21) Reply with quote
Netgear R7800
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r47644 std (11/15/21)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.290 #535 SMP Mon Nov 15 05:57:18 +07 2021 armv7l

Is anyone else having smb issues/have they been fixed?

If i only read from the device everything works fine. if i attempt to write, things get corrupt. It appears the folder tree is not being enumerated correctly on writes. as every file is believed to existing in every folder (based on windows saying already exists, if you try to copy from one folder to another)
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
47581/47528 (47531?) ...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1248948#1248948

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/7486

Not fixed yet.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

al_bo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also waiting for resolving this issue. last working well samba for me Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47528 std (10/10/21)
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
can someone with an tarq login bump the ticket. I feel its warranted for the following reason
1. Reads work correctly thus an unwitting user might not know there is an issue till its to late
2. destructive damage appears to happen on write, at least on windows, before the error is even returned the file is damaged / destroyed - if it cant be fixed its worthy of a revert
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
smbd is just messed up in everything later than r47531 which is what I run on the EA8500 units.
I reckon it will be fixed whenever....
NOT really sure why BS just don't roll it back.
This is what screwed it ---> https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/47534 Rolling Eyes
mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
al_bo wrote:
I am also waiting for resolving this issue. last working well samba for me Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47528 std (10/10/21)

I rolled back to 47528 (using EA8500), but I was still getting corruption error with NTFS drives (not sure if that is related).

Also, I noticed there were still plenty of error messages if you run "dmesg" from putty as each write operation initiated from any windows 10 client had ~10 errors. I tried mounting an ext2 thumb drive and it produced the same error messages on write from windows.

I didn't get corrupted drive error with ext2, but I removed it after a day. If I attempt a copy within linux between samba/CIFS drives, those seemed to be fine.

Here is a sample message that I posted in another thread on EA8500. I noticed 8-10 such messages each time I copied a file from windows to the shared drive.
"ksmbd: Unsupported addition info: 0x20)"

This is an exchange I found discussing the root cause of the issue
https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/11/17/761
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
mark74 wrote:

yeahuh, I see that if I ever use the winders machine.
AFAIK it is pretty harmless ...just should be better.

NO such mess using the Debian machines Cool

NOTED a while back:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1247136#1247136
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
People are not looking at the larger picture; I'll venture to say that we need more folks cloning the github and looking at upstream code repos and submitting pull requests. This firmware project is (mostly) a one-man show and anyone who has looked deep enough knows that some packages fall behind upstream updates and may already have documented issues.

----------------------
mark74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
mark74 wrote:

yeahuh, I see that if I ever use the winders machine.
AFAIK it is pretty harmless ...just should be better.

NO such mess using the Debian machines Cool

NOTED a while back:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1247136#1247136

I figured it was not an issue, but I was trying to backup around 10k files and noticed a lot of activity.

Just out of curiosity, I installed entware and used samba4 server instead of ksmbd. I think it worked fine without any of those errors.

Does anyone have any recommendations around syncing directories? Is rsync a good option to run between the EA8500 router and another linux server? (the other one is an old NAS with just one disk and less memory than this router, so I am looking to maintain a reliable backup automatically).

Also if I make the initial backup using windows (since that seems to be faster with ~50-70MB/s average vs 30MB/s when run in router as a copy command), can I sync the same folders using rsync for incremental backups? (which should be much smaller volume <1% of the data)

Last edited by mark74 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 19:08; edited 1 time in total
nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69

Totally understand and appreciate the work Brainslayer is doing. Normally i would just say wait. What im questioning is the priority of this one.

its not simply something doesnt work or is slow or a connection is dropped, there is real potential for data loss and corruption.

This should be rolled back or a big red flag placed on every version until fixed - DO NOT UPGRADE if using SMB.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issues such as these are why it is highly recommended to read the NEW BUILD thread before deciding to update.

Ultimately it is on the user to make informed decisions concerning using 3rd party firmware.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@bushant i agree about reading the build threads, however doing so would not prevent this issue as there indication that samba is broken to the extent that any write will kiss your file your writing to goodbye.

I had to go back to an old backup of a corrupted file and lose a few days because of this. Granted i should have more frequent backups, but this is a really serious bug. I would have preferred smb be completely inoperable than have this
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Mission critical" things shouldn't be left to this since ksmbd is in constant development, as is wsdd2. Again, both are likely not 100% sync'd up with upstream, as I've alluded to elsewhere. In fact, there is smbd and smbd-next directories in the DD-WRT repo, and I have not seen which is in use where and back-tracked to see what is what.

Honestly, all the bickering doesn't solve a damn thing, and quite frankly, it makes folks who wish to contribute to solving issues not want to bother. People should remember that, myself included.

----------------------
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot understand why you format the drive as NTFS. Use EXT4 instead.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: