[SOLVED] T-Mobile AC1900 (Asus RT-AC68U) Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 19:51    Post subject: [SOLVED] T-Mobile AC1900 (Asus RT-AC68U) Bricked Reply with quote
I have the T-Mobile Cellspot AC1900 that I had successfully running Asus RT68U Merlin 386.3_2.

I wanted to run DD-WRT as I just need this guy running as an Access Point, but the Asus web GUI wouldn't accept the DD-WRT trx firmware, so I booted into Recovery Mode and uploaded there. That broke the darn thing, and reset button recovery method didn't work. After 2 hours, I finally found out that you have to hold all 3 buttons down, power on, then let go of the 2 side buttons. I almost gave up on it!

So now... How shall I approach getting DD-WRT on these things? I have 3 total and I wanted to set up multiple APs around the house. I don't want to repeat the same mistake. I guess I have to go to stock firmware first, not back to merlin?

This is the guide I followed to get Merlin on there:
https://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/

I ran through all steps and even fixed the MTD5 partition, so I thought I was good to go. I guess I shouldn't have thrown Merlin on there to begin with!

I've been running DD-WRT successfully for over a decade on many older G routers and N routers. This was my first attempt to upgrade to AC... still running 3x DD-WRT APs on N right now.

**EDIT - RESOLUTION**
1. If bricked, reset with all 3 buttons, not just the reset button. Hold all 3, power on, let go of side two buttons when it blinks (hold reset still). Let go of reset button when the router starts pinging (192.168.129.1 I believe). I set two IPs on my ethernet side (192.168.1.X and 192.168.129.X, both 24-bit 255.255.255.0 and run ping loops when I do this)
2. To solve the DD-WRT slow and GUI crashing issue, it took doing NVRAM erase commands via telnet, multiple times. Telnet is enabled as soon as you change the default login on the DD-WRT (first login). Immediately go in with telnet and do "nvram erase && reboot& -- let it reboot, and do it again 2-3x and see if this helps.

Last edited by g0dM@n on Wed Nov 24, 2021 18:16; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some helpful (or not) reading:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC68U

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_T-Mobile_Cellspot

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MysticGold04
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll chime in on this since I have several of these routers running a mix of firmware(s).

When did you get the router?

Every time I flash these, you need to reset it by powering off, holding down the WPS button on the side, and while keeping it pressed, power the router on. You have to keep holding the WPS button until the power light starts flashing. Once it does, release it and power the unit off. Now hold the reset button on the back while powering on. Hold the reset button in until the power light begins slowly flashing. The router should be accessible at
Code:

http://192.168.1.1

You can then upload whatever firmware you want to run. Once the upload is complete, the router will reboot itself and you should be good. I have swapped back and forth between DD, FreshTomato, Merlin, and Asus official firmwares with zero problems using this method.

Hope it helps.

**Just as a side note, I use Firefox ESR with no issues.

ASUS RT-AC68U Gateway/AP r54604
Edgerouter-4, v2.0.9-hotfix7
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, so I finally figured it out. I think the fact that I went to merlin first is what messed everything up.

I redid the entire procedure, got to the AC68U version (not merlin) that the procedure calls for, drop DD-WRT there and then NVRAM reset is the fix. I'm guessing I may have forgotten to do that.

I got the first one working. Doing my second one now. Not sure I'll have time for the third AP, but this is a great start. Already did a direct replace of my super old Netgear WNDR4500 (ddwrt on N). Basically, got a faster process and the capability of AC on 5ghz. Keeping my 2.4 for N and made a separate SSID for AC. I used to keep them the same, but it may make more sense for me to keep clients fixed to a certain frequency.

Appreciate the fast replies here. You guys are too good!
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
So of the three that I have, only one is working properly. All three have DD-WRT on them successfully, but two of them the GUI is slow and then the GUI stops working. I can still ping it, but the GUI just dies.

I was using the same exact firmware of DD-WRT on all three! I finally decided to give a slightly older one a try on one of them, but same thing... slow GUI, and within 1 minute of browsing in the GUI it drops me and the GUI just dies. A reboot brings it back, but it does the same thing every time.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might have to do a hard reset on it/them - via telnet/ssh: 'nvram erase && reboot'; The more recent builds seem fairly snappy, but there are others who actually have this router that may be a far better source of feedback Cool Wink Arrow

----------------------
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You might have to do a hard reset on it/them - via telnet/ssh: 'nvram erase && reboot'; The more recent builds seem fairly snappy, but there are others who actually have this router that may be a far better source of feedback Cool Wink Arrow

It dies before I can enable SSH services in DD-WRT Sad
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
exchange the power supply to see if that is the culprit
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
g0dM@n wrote:
I can still ping it, but the GUI just dies.

I have an actual RT-AC68U, which I reset from running HGG AsusWRT (like merlin but more up-to-date libs/services - no longer developed) Which had to be reset according to the instructions and then flashed to DD-WRT.

It works, its snappy running pretty much all other updated build of DD-WRT since last year now currently on r47656, I have cooling fans on it and different thermal paste, even though the CPU is OK to run at 70c idle by default, I know the major cause for silicone death, is heat.

That aside, httpd can be restarted, sometimes it crashes restart httpd via SSH works for that purpose, for instance if you find yourself changing between tabs the lot just httpd goes awall.

Or for instance, when you click apply, it actually restarts services and its not always as fast and this results in cant connect browsers messages for a couple of seconds.

What I can advise is after a thorough nvram reset, do not restore old configs, because new builds have changed so much in last 6 months, I recommend you reconfigure everything manually again.
Another piece f advice is, clear your browser cache, the UI has been streamlined CSS side and old caches from old versions may not play well together.

If nothing helps, you want to enable syslogs/klogd and grab that or the dmesg output and pastebinit and link it here or attach it to your reply.

Good luck.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
g0dM@n wrote:
I can still ping it, but the GUI just dies.

I have an actual RT-AC68U, which I reset from running HGG AsusWRT (like merlin but more up-to-date libs/services - no longer developed) Which had to be reset according to the instructions and then flashed to DD-WRT.

It works, its snappy running pretty much all other updated build of DD-WRT since last year now currently on r47656, I have cooling fans on it and different thermal paste, even though the CPU is OK to run at 70c idle by default, I know the major cause for silicone death, is heat.

That aside, httpd can be restarted, sometimes it crashes restart httpd via SSH works for that purpose, for instance if you find yourself changing between tabs the lot just httpd goes awall.

Or for instance, when you click apply, it actually restarts services and its not always as fast and this results in cant connect browsers messages for a couple of seconds.

What I can advise is after a thorough nvram reset, do not restore old configs, because new builds have changed so much in last 6 months, I recommend you reconfigure everything manually again.
Another piece f advice is, clear your browser cache, the UI has been streamlined CSS side and old caches from old versions may not play well together.

If nothing helps, you want to enable syslogs/klogd and grab that or the dmesg output and pastebinit and link it here or attach it to your reply.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I can't enable SSH b/c the GUI crashes too fast. No old configs as this is a brand new setup. NVRAM I reset every single time I change from T-Mobile to ASUS 1703 firmware, and even when I throw the regular ASUS firmmware on there... and then again when I go to DD-WRT.

1 of 3 of these routers is fine, same exact procedure, so I've no idea what the heck is going on. Sad

I can hard reset and start over, but that's the whole reason I went to try my 3rd t-mobile cellspot ac1900.

Basically, my first one worked out (had some trouble b/c I installed Merlin first and had to full rest to get DDWRT to work), second one I spent hours on and the GUI would still crash (even a full reset and tried again, same thing)... so I went with the 3rd one. Followed the instructions to the T... same thing with the GUI (slow, then crashes).

I'll try a full reset and start all over from recovery. =/ I'll start with the older 1703 build, then to RT68U hack, then from there to DD-WRT. That's the procedure from these T-Mobile routers based on what I've found everywhere.
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happens again. Tried a different power supply also. Damn Sad
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
@g0dM@n

Telnet should be enabled by default iirc.

You could try accessing the router like that, run commands etc, resetting config, enabling syslog/klog via nvram set command and nvram commit, reboot etc.

Have you tried it?

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try using a portable browser without a bunch of addons and extensions loaded in private browsing mode. There is no reason for the webUI to give you grief. Telnet is only available after you set a new password, but that is an option if reset by button gives you no joy.

----------------------
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys are right, telnet is enabled... and this whole time I was trying to enable SSH.

I got in with telnet and ran some commands, but I don't know them so I tried all of these:
nvram set ssh (wow, this worked haha)
nvram ressetconfig (no idea if this was correct)
nvram set syslog
nvram set klog
nvram erase && reboot

It's powering off now. I'll update shortly.
You guys all rock!! Fingers crossed.
g0dM@n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, ok -- telnet, while enabled is also being screwy. I thought I'd checked this last night. When I try to open telnet...
CMD > telnet 192.168.1.1
It just flickers and goes right back to CMD.

When I posted before, telnet worked on a fresh reboot for a bit. Then, the GUI went bad again even after my last post, so I waited... I then opened Microsoft Edge and logged in and the GUI was snappy and working. Moments later, it dropped in Edge also.

I have no idea what else to do.
I've tried these two DDWRT builds:
10-10-2021-r47528
11-18-2021-r47656
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: