Stable wifi for WRT1200AC V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ramosel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 22:02    Post subject: Stable wifi for WRT1200AC V2 Reply with quote
Hey folks, it's been almost a year since I posted a request for information on a "stable" build as far as wireless for my WRT1200AC V2s that I run at my house.
(thread https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328032).

Two people recommended build r44048. So I back-rev'd all my routers (used as wireless access points) to that build and it has been working fine except that I really couldn't use the AC with any Apple products. So I quit using AC. All has been fine.

Has there been any work on improving the wireless components of the code for for the WRT1200AC V2? Is AC fixed in current builds? Looks like as of today "current" is r47656

Just wanted to check in and ask those who stay hands on and current for advice.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Rick
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
AC = Autocorrelation? Air Conditioner? Apple Chips? AutoCorrect or its iOS version that I lovingly call AutoCorrugatorade?
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use AP settings, and proper ones at that, you shouldn't have issues on the current release with a full hard reset and configure from scratch. Driver development for Marvell is completely dead, so there is no "fixing" anything; just known workarounds for specific issues, or rather, using "proper" wifi settings. People continue to misread the wikis and threads and give bad advice, etc.

There are also noted settings for webUI issues in this forum. You will want to go to the sysctl page and set these both to 0, save and apply and reboot:
Code:
tcp_tw_recycle
tcp_tw_reuse

OR login via PuTTY/Terminal telnet/ssh and do:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330049

Code:
nvram set tcp_tw_recycle=0
nvram set tcp_tw_reuse=0
nvram commit
reboot

@SurprisedItWorks, they mean the 5GHz radio (802.11ac) lol

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ramosel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
AC = Autocorrelation?

Sorry, yeah I kinda left that undefined... 802.11ac
ramosel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you use AP settings, and proper ones at that, you shouldn't have issues on the current release with a full hard reset and configure from scratch. Driver development for Marvell is completely dead, so there is no "fixing" anything; just known workarounds for specific issues, or rather, using "proper" wifi settings. People continue to misread the wikis and threads and give bad advice, etc.

Sorry for the delayed response, sometimes life just gets in the way of messing with routers.

First off, Thanks. Good info. Especially in that list of related threads.

In saying "Marvel is completely dead" do you mean just the Marvel 88W8864 as used in the WRT1200AC v2 or also newer radios like the 88W8964 in the WRT3200ACS? I've got access to a handful of 3200s if you think those and their code are less problematic.

If Seb and crew's development is dead for all Marvel, is there a make/model unit their attentions are being centered on? I really don't like the OpenWRT UI so I'd rather not leave DD-WRT but if Linksys isn't their focus maybe I should look at other hardware.

Rick
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll add my 2 cents as well =)

My two WRT1200ac v1 routers are always on the latest DD-WRT release. I had some wifi issues on some releases last year that were clearly firmware update related but none this year. The more irritating issues I had with wifi were solved by forgetting/reconnecting to our network on our fire tablets after the firmware update and later turning off IPv6 on my Sony devices after an update.

I have NO apple devices or IoT devices (cameras/doorbells,etc) on a fairly basic DD-WRT install with use of OpenVPN client (ExpressVPN) and DNSMasq as enabled extras. I used QoS for a while but disabled it as my new modem had a similar function that worked better IMHO.

Also one of my deteriorating modems was partially responsible for a few of my perceived wifi problems as it was randomly dropping my internet connection for a few seconds which made it easy to blame the DD-WRT firmware as it appeared the wifi had disconnected. After much troubleshooting a new modem fixed that problem and noticeably improved speed.

There certainly are well documented problems with the 1200,1900 and 3200 wifi drivers but rarely do I have any with my 1200 v1's. They have been so dependable that I can't bring myself to replace them. The r44048 was the release recommended for 1900 and 3200s (which seem more sensitive??) in the past but I've read some member posts saying the newest releases were working well for them even with Apple/IoT devices. Read several of the recent new release threads for details.

I would never revert to r44048 or any other old release (other than a previous release prior to a problematic current release) as there are lots of security and function updates over time. Also, installing a new release over the really older ones seems to have a unique set of problems with stepped release updates required to get back to the newest release. I have never updated from a really old release to a new one so I can't elaborate. Others here can give guidance if you have issues doing so.

I have streamed hundreds if not thousands of hrs via wifi this year on multiple DD-WRT releases including the current with near perfect connection (provider drops, cars hitting poles etc ignored). This is using 12 wifi devices of different brands and two phones (moto g power). Checking it appears I have 7 wifi clients connected at any given time. The only negative is streaming Netflix on the Sony devices won't stream well with the vpn enabled. The FireTV/FireTV stick, Roku and Pendoo boxes stream well with the vpn enabled. Netflix may stream well over vpn if I install the app on other devices but too lazy to try it. It's probably Netflix detecting vpn over Sony devices?? I only use 5 GHz with the Amazon Fire tablets as the 2.4 GHz covers both floors better. Not noticed any issues with 5 Ghz but we don't use the tablets constantly so . .

In short I'm having no wifi issues with the current release on WRT1200ac v1 boxes. I assume the more complicated your config the more likely it will be that you have wifi issues. Maybe update one of your lesser used 1200's and see how it does. If no issues, update another, etc. etc. =)

Having said all that most likely, due to wifi driver issues on Linksys devices, I will probably choose a different router brand when I replace my 1200's.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramosel wrote:
In saying "Marvel is completely dead" do you mean just the Marvel 88W8864 as used in the WRT1200AC v2 or also newer radios like the 88W8964 in the WRT3200ACS? I've got access to a handful of 3200s if you think those and their code are less problematic.

The same driver is being used across the board; the firmware for the actual wifi chipsets may be different, or not, but AFAIK, we are using the same exact code that OpenWRT is using, and perhaps some code from the Linux kernel itself. Outside of that, Marvell was acquired by NXP and NXP has not been very forthcoming with any driver updates, etc. that anyone is aware of.

ramosel wrote:
If Seb and crew's development is dead for all Marvel, is there a make/model unit their attentions are being centered on? I really don't like the OpenWRT UI so I'd rather not leave DD-WRT but if Linksys isn't their focus maybe I should look at other hardware.

There are stickies in the General forum, and this is also answered in the Firmware FAQ page in the wiki.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: