Stumped with TPLINK wr710n

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
r0ckst4r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 15:10    Post subject: Stumped with TPLINK wr710n Reply with quote
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum but I’m not a first time user of dd-wrt (long ago flashed a linksys unit). Anyway, the reason of this post is to ask about the TP-Link WR710N.

I got it for free, found it in an old office and thought I could use it with ddwrt because of the vpn capabilities. I’ve read the main post related to it in the forum and know that support has been dropped and also that it’s a very limited model and not recommended, and also know that it can be upgraded to some extent, however this one surprised me.

It’s not a US model, also not EU model but a Chinese one with the V2 identifier and factory firmware. Well, from reading around it should have a 2MB flash but it turns out that after opening the case this one has a 16MB flash and a 64MB RAM chips. How? I have no idea but it does, I checked the part numbers on each chip several times to make sure and they are indeed as described.

So my question is “How should I go about it?”. What kind of firmware I could use to flash it and take advantage of the increased memory?. I tried flashing some of the stock firmwares from other countries and got error 18000 saying that it doesn’t match (the web interface is totally in Chinese), and because of that I’ve bought an USB-serial interface In preparation to flash it that way.

I’ll appreciate any input you guys could provide and will also be glad to provide more details if necessary, the unit is sitting on my desk fully disassembled until I have enough info to begin.

BEST REGARDS!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know where you got your information, but the models listed in the OpenWRT wiki show only one 4MB flash, the rest are 8MB.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr710n

Wikidevi shows only 2MB flash for the v1.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_TL-WR710N_v1.0

Current DD-WRT release for v2.

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/11-15-2021-r47644/tplink_tl-wr710nv2/

The OpenWRT wiki should have information for serial. This could be fun...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
r0ckst4r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I don't know where you got your information, but the models listed in the OpenWRT wiki show only one 4MB flash, the rest are 8MB.

The OpenWRT wiki should have information for serial. This could be fun...

That’s exactly where I got all the information from and felt there was no point, however I also mentioned that I opened the case and found out about the increased memory. I’m sharing some pictures of it:

I’ll appreciate any further comments!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks "too clean" to be a repair or DIY upgrade, but it could've been a hardware modification nonetheless. The only thing I can see is maybe building a custom 16MB OpenWRT image for it. This would take a custom build for DD-WRT as well, not an easy task, either way you go about it. That is, if you want to *fully* utilize the flash chip. Otherwise, you should be able to flash the image I linked earlier. Caveat Emptor, YMMV, and all that jazz. You have been warned.

----------------------
nanvanu1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
search for mod version in china forum:right.com.cn or anywlan.com.there are many mod version customized by many people.ex:gaoke....etc
good luck
nanvanu1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:01    Post subject: Re: Stumped with TPLINK wr710n Reply with quote
r0ckst4r wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum but I’m not a first time user of dd-wrt (long ago flashed a linksys unit). Anyway, the reason of this post is to ask about the TP-Link WR710N.

I got it for free, found it in an old office and thought I could use it with ddwrt because of the vpn capabilities. I’ve read the main post related to it in the forum and know that support has been dropped and also that it’s a very limited model and not recommended, and also know that it can be upgraded to some extent, however this one surprised me.

It’s not a US model, also not EU model but a Chinese one with the V2 identifier and factory firmware. Well, from reading around it should have a 2MB flash but it turns out that after opening the case this one has a 16MB flash and a 64MB RAM chips. How? I have no idea but it does, I checked the part numbers on each chip several times to make sure and they are indeed as described.

So my question is “How should I go about it?”. What kind of firmware I could use to flash it and take advantage of the increased memory?. I tried flashing some of the stock firmwares from other countries and got error 18000 saying that it doesn’t match (the web interface is totally in Chinese), and because of that I’ve bought an USB-serial interface In preparation to flash it that way.

I’ll appreciate any input you guys could provide and will also be glad to provide more details if necessary, the unit is sitting on my desk fully disassembled until I have enough info to begin.

BEST REGARDS!

reading and downloading here.after flash,changing to english
https://www.right.com.cn/forum/thread-370874-1-1.html
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The firmware images on that thread are two years old. It's better to roll your own. I'm sure the OP got tired of doing it for everyone, lol.

----------------------
nanvanu1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The firmware images on that thread are two years old. It's better to roll your own. I'm sure the OP got tired of doing it for everyone, lol.

no one will be free to work with an uncommon router.
2 years ago to current I found that wifi is nothing new
HAHA
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please, you refuse to run the current DD-WRT version over a misconception. Your advice is noted, but I wouldn't follow it due to security patches involved.

----------------------
r0ckst4r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks everyone, I do believe it has to be a factory configuration, the people at the place I found it in has no real clue about upgrades, they barely know how to use the stock one. I must also mention that the firmware in it is stock from tplink.

I’ll check those websites and see if I can find any image to flash. At this point I’m wondering if it’s actually worth it to find a 16MB image or the 4MB will be enough? Knowing that each image is compiled for that specific router and its hardware what would the pros of having the 16MB image be?. I don’t think there will be any increased capabilities, right?

Kernel-panic69, I’m sorry but I don’t fully understand your last comment, could you please explain a little more?

Regards.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was speaking to @nanvanu1. If you read through his posts, you'll understand. Some people shouldn't give advice if they won't take it.

----------------------
nanvanu1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
r0ckst4r wrote:
Thanks everyone, I do believe it has to be a factory configuration, the people at the place I found it in has no real clue about upgrades, they barely know how to use the stock one. I must also mention that the firmware in it is stock from tplink.

I’ll check those websites and see if I can find any image to flash. At this point I’m wondering if it’s actually worth it to find a 16MB image or the 4MB will be enough? Knowing that each image is compiled for that specific router and its hardware what would the pros of having the 16MB image be?. I don’t think there will be any increased capabilities, right?

Kernel-panic69, I’m sorry but I don’t fully understand your last comment, could you please explain a little more?

Regards.

warning:Your router will lose wifi if you flash 4m
if still trying, you need to load 4m is 4 time rom because the wifi partition needs to be at the end
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do you figure that? Please show proof of concept if you are going to claim something such as this.

----------------------
r0ckst4r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
nanvanu1 wrote:

warning:Your router will lose wifi if you flash 4m
if still trying, you need to load 4m is 4 time rom because the wifi partition needs to be at the end

While I appreciate your input, there’s no way something can be lost when put in a bigger “box”. I’d agree if moving from a bigger flash to a smaller one but in my case there should be only a lot of space unused in the bigger flash. Which takes me back to my previous question: Will there be any benefit after getting/compiling the especial firmware to use the whole 16MB flash?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'd have more features to use.

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: