Newb needs advice with DD-WRT setup on WRT32X?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
jlwiseman93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 15:48    Post subject: Newb needs advice with DD-WRT setup on WRT32X? Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I have just discovered DD-WRT in the last 24hrs or so, and I’m still figuring everything out. I was using a Linksys EA7500 router in my home, but after learning about installing DD-WRT on other routers, I dug my old WRT32XB out of storage and decided to give it a whirl. I have successfully installed the latest firmware on it:

Router NameDD-WRT
Router ModelLinksys WRT32X
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)

I have renamed my network, set password and enabled uPnP. But so far, that’s it. As I mentioned earlier, I am new to dd-wrt, and only have somewhat higher than average knowledge of network setup/administration. Would anyone be willing to give me some advice, pointers, etc on setting this thing up for optimum performance in my home?

I have ordered these antennas from Amazon in hopes to boost my wifi signal throughout my home, but more importantly to direct wifi out of a window towards my shop which has a repeater set up in it so I can have wifi in my shop. Will I need to change any settings in my router for these? I saw one setting that mentioned antenna gain?

Alfa APA-M25 Dual Band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain Directional Indoor Panel Antenna with RP-SMA Connector (Compare to Asus WL-ANT-157) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1PA9EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QQJ0DGBRSKCWXHTFNJ9N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

WiFi Antenna for PC 2.4GHz 5.8GHz Dual Band Antenna +2 x 15CM U.FL/IPEX to RP-SMA Female, 2 x 8 dbi hotspot stubby antenna for Routers PC Wireless Network Card USB Adapter Security IP Camera Video https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD7FZV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_48R80YTCXSCT4542MT2E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My home network is fairly simple, and there’s only a few devices I want to “prioritize” on my network. However, I live in a rural area and only get wireless internet. On average, my download speeds are 20-30mbps, and on a good day, 40-50mbps. Ping is usually under 30ms.

I have 1 Xbox one hardwired to my router, which I want to have the highest priority of all. Then my living room smart tv and soundbar are hardwired to my router. The tv, I’d like to have higher priority than everything other than the Xbox. Everything else in the home is connected via wifi. (Nest thermostat, wifi enabled garage door opener, security system/cameras, phones and laptops)…I do have a smart tv in my bedroom that is wireless that I would like to give somewhat priority to as well.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please update to a more recent build - the router database is for a reference to see if your device is supported only; replacing the external antennas are not going to do you any good. You have reading ahead of you, to say the least...

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/

It looks like most of the folks are currently focused on 47581:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330524

Sorry that we don't have navigation signage up, but it's the nature of the beast.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
jlwiseman93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I have updated to 47581 build. I have also disabled the ath2 band (mixed band) wifi network. I read that can cause issues sometimes. So far, my router seems to perform much better on this firmware than the native firmware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: