Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
bushant wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
cron must be enabled...

Thanks Alozaros. Now we have the rest of the story.

I enabled cron on 7800 and in a few seconds the magic happened Surprised

Disabling cron is a bad idea. Because several functions break with it disabled.

yep CRON is a part of the services that need to be enabled and kept enabled by default, same for NTP time ...as those are vital for router functioning...as well related to that way for firmware flashing discussed above...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cron has to be enabled for everything to work properly. Anything that relies on timing relies on cron (like NTP!). Makes me wonder how many people have been shooting themselves in the foot by disabling it.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Cron has to be enabled for everything to work properly. Anything that relies on timing relies on cron (like NTP!). Makes me wonder how many people have been shooting themselves in the foot by disabling it.
should it be hidden from the web gui, instead of a radio option? the current description in the web gui and wiki doesn't highlight the importance of cron or the impact of disabling cron.

/off-topic: transition from Windows 10 to Windows 11 feels like from Windows 7 to Windows 8

20211202-120813.png
 Description:
/Management.asp > Cron
DD-WRT v3.0-r47608 mega (10/28/21)
ASUS RT-N10U B1
 Filesize:  2.52 KB
 Viewed:  1891 Time(s)

20211202-120813.png

DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
should it be hidden from the web gui, instead of a radio option? the current description in the web gui and wiki doesn't highlight the importance of cron or the impact of disabling cron.

I dont think so personally, not all setups require all services, Clarification by help text and other documentation of these pertinent aspects would be a way to deal with this.

EDIT: A better implementation (UX side) would be to warn user that when some service or function is has a specific dependency to operate wont work because the required service is being disabled (not exclusive to cron)). Or something to that effect.

Patches welcome to either of those effects.

IONK wrote:
/off-topic: transition from Windows 10 to Windows 11 feels like from Windows 7 to Windows 8

The humane thing to do to any PC is to blow it UP, rather than make it run that Win 11 garbage Shocked .

Take care Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:16; edited 2 times in total
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to keep beating this thread down/up/around
I just stuck r47720 on EA8500 & let'er do her thing.
https://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/EA8500/install_r47720.html

You Winders people prolly gotta use some PuTTY shit or sompin to do that Twisted Evil
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
.../off-topic: transition from Windows 10 to Windows 11 feels like from Windows 7 to Windows 8

I never used the crap Win Os's (vista, Win 8 or W10 as a main )

mrjcd wrote:
...You Winders people prolly gotta use some PuTTY shit or sompin to do that Twisted Evil

although, linux has a native ssh client i use Putty to flash DDWRT firmware and for other stuff too, same on Win 7... Putty all round...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
We can thank Eko for the radio button being there (which it shouldn't be IMHO):

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/5862
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/5863

Of course, those files' locations have migrated since then, but the code is still there (I'm not tracking that down ATM). Should be blatantly obvious what to revert. BUT, the intention was to add the additional cron jobs input; implementation, however was overkill.

----------------------
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree that the enable/disable button there should only affect the additional cron jobs input field below instead of the whole system's cron. For experts who want to disable the whole system's cron, command line is better for them.

/off-topic: I've seen the username Eko a long time in the past, there used to be some ddwrt builds by him if my memory is still intact.

DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
I agree that the enable/disable button there should only affect the additional cron jobs input field below instead of the whole system's cron. For experts who want to disable the whole system's cron, command line is better for them.

Thing is, DD-WRT is not just for experts, else we wouldn't have half the options in UI. And its easier for most to Use UI to start/stop services and configure things.

But whatever that is cron side, it looks like the intention was the additional cron jobs as target, if it disables cron, its a implementation bug. Not that I actually looked though all the code.

I still maintain that for better UX, when A,B or C depends on X to work and X is disabled, users should be notified that A,B or C will no longer work. But best UX practices are far from ideal in 99% of all projects with a UI of any kind... And none cares.

Enjoy.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that the overall intention "works" as "intended" (show/hide & enable/disable add'l cron jobs), but at the expense of disabling cron from running itself when you select "disable" (which is the problem). The implementation is indeed flawed so it either needs to be fixed or the button removed (as it really isn't necessary as previously stated). I haven't had time to look at it in depth.

----------------------
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
I still maintain that for better UX, when A,B or C depends on X to work and X is disabled, users should be notified that A,B or C will no longer work. But best UX practices are far from ideal in 99% of all projects with a UI of any kind... And none cares.

Enjoy.
I also agree that your vision of the UI is the best for the end-users, but as ddwrt keeps evolving, some dependencies may also change, and it's not very efficient for BrainSlayer to keep touching the UI's dependency tree every time he makes some (experimental) changes in the implementation. Moreover, the additional UI may not be able to fit into some older devices with small flash. So perhaps help file + wiki + moderator's input is still the better choice at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: