Updating over WiFi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
And in the meanwhile @Mr R Design has not replied with any feedback.

Arrow Exclamation

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

Arrow Exclamation
he must be happily playing with easyddup and totally forget about this topic Mr. Green
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

Arrow Exclamation

And that is perfectly fine. If we're going to comment about such things, there's over 1000 tickets on Trac that have not been followed up on, either. It is what it is, a smoldering trash fire, in the words of folks on other sites.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

Arrow Exclamation

Not replied because the original question I asked has still not been answered which was:

'Can I download the build to a flash drive plugged in to the router and update safely that way or does something happen during the process which will cause things to throw a wobbly?'
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, basically you want to flash via CLI from the USB drive. Probably not impossible, but caveat emptor. The good thing is the R7000 is pretty easy to de-brick, should anything go awry. This would definitely have to be done via CLI, though. Sorry, I completely overlooked that part of the question EmbarassedRolling Eyes

----------------------
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
the-joker wrote:

Arrow Exclamation

Not replied because the original question I asked has still not been answered which was:

'Can I download the build to a flash drive plugged in to the router and update safely that way or does something happen during the process which will cause things to throw a wobbly?'

At the moment, no checksum is provided together with the firmware image to verify the file integrity before flashing, so fewer intermediate steps means less chance for data corruption to occur.
In my opinion, downloading the firmware directly to router's RAM mounted temp folder is safer than to use PC to download firmware to USB drive, then safely remove USB drive from PC, then copy firmware from USB drive to router, and finally flash.

As a side note, easyddup downloads the firmware to USB drive but it can be changed to RAM drive by modifying one line of code.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying to work out if it is safe to download the build direct to the network attached storage (flash drive already plugged in to the router) instead of the laptop and then update via the GUI.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't advise you to update via the webUI that way, and you introduce more risks doing so over a network attached storage. @IONK: I have no idea why someone would think that you would put the file on USB and then copy it to the tmp folder to flash it? Use the applicable mount point and change into that directory from the shell... I guess I should have been much more specific.

----------------------
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
.... I asked has still not been answered which was:

I done pretty much that exact thing a year 1/2 ago on the WNDR3700v4 just for the hellofit
https://mrjcd.com/junk/dd-wrt/WNDR3700v4/r44044/

Since I had the flash drive setup as a samba share I downloaded the firmware & just stuck it on the flash drive all from computer I was on.
or
No reason why you can't wget 'firmware you need' straight to the flash drive and write it to the router...
...if for some weird reason you just don't won't to download it to router's /tmp directory.....taint gonna hurt a thing and it will go away if/when router is rebooted anyways Twisted Evil
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
Trying to work out if it is safe to download the build direct to the network attached storage (flash drive plugged in to the router) instead of the laptop and then update via the GUI.
So you remove the steps of plugging/unplugging the USB drive, but now the firmware file will be transfer from NAS to to web browser via SAMBA, and from web browser to router via LAN or wireless (if wireless then it's totally not recommended).
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
@IONK: I have no idea why someone would think that you would put the file on USB and then copy it to the tmp folder to flash it? Use the applicable mount point and change into that directory from the shell... I guess I should have been much more specific.
I just want make it more complicated/troublesome to dissuade the OP from doing that and to use easyddup instead Laughing
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok ta, got it now and understood.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Hello, so just as a reminder and to refresh whats been said on this subject.

The alternative mode of flashing the firmware which would work over ANY connection type automatically after 60 seconds.

1) Connect via SSH/SCP/SFTP/TELNET/FTP to router
2) Rename the updated FW file to firmware.bin and upload to the /tmp folder.
3) Wait 30/60 seconds and the router will detect this file and flash itself without user interaction, then should reboot itself when done.

As I have seen this written more than once lately I tried it on R7500v2.
47695->47703

It doesn't happen. Waited 20+ minutes then ran it manually.
Code:
root@7500:/tmp# ls -l /tmp/firmware.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      22605824 Nov 30 10:17 /tmp/firmware.bin

Working fine BTW
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you rename file, scp it to the /tmp folder, close out your scp session and wait without being logged in any other way like telnet, ssh, or webUI?

----------------------
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did you rename file, scp it to the /tmp folder, close out your scp session and wait without being logged in any other way like telnet, ssh, or webUI?

Downloaded it to /tmp with curl, renamed it, remained connected via ssh and GUI.

Just tried it on R7800, disconnected completely, waited 15+ min, same result.
Did not write it manually, firmware.bin remains in /tmp.
Code:
ls -l /tmp/firmware.bin
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      28397568 Nov 30 11:48 /tmp/firmware.bin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: