Netgear R7000 - Power Outage and Issues with dnsmasq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
ikwyl6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
So if I have my two routers on Gateway mode (NAT) and I want to have my devices able to roam between my ISP router and my two additional routers, I would still follow the Wireless Access Point wiki link as per a few posts above (except use Gateway mode) but what do you suggest for setting up the IP range on the LAN side of each downstream router?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configure them both as waps, no dhcp, no dnsmasq. Don't need gateway mode. If you need all the devices to see one another, gateway mode will block that and then you'd wind up with an over-complicated static routing setup that isn't necessary.

IRT using dnsmasq to resolve dns on your waps, it's not really necessary, but it can be done. It's just overly complicating your network, IMHO, though.

You have just now thrown another monkey wrench into this picture and gone with bad advice IMHO. All you're going to do is give yourself headaches unless you actually need the subnets separated for any reason. It doesn't seem as if that is what the overall goal is, though.

Another thought on your original config: Using only one upstream dns server/resolver is where you are screwing up. The other thing is, were all your clients set up or getting your R7000's IP address as the dns server? And why are you using server= line without a no-resolv line? I see several things that some folks should've picked up on already...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ikwyl6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Configure them both as waps, no dhcp, no dnsmasq. Don't need gateway mode. If you need all the devices to see one another, gateway mode will block that and then you'd wind up with an over-complicated static routing setup that isn't necessary.

By “Configure them both as waps” I assume you mean change the mode to “Router” mode?

Quote:
IRT using dnsmasq to resolve dns on your waps, it's not really necessary, but it can be done. It's just overly complicating your network, IMHO, though.

I have a local machine on this network tied to a fqhn. So when, say Im at work at exterior location, I can go to “fqhn.com” and when I’m home on this R7000 network I want to keep using fqhn.com in my browser. I use dnsmasq soley for this purpose. I can use hosts file for this alternatively but I cannot do this, as far as I know, with a hosts-type file with IPhone.

Quote:
You have just now thrown another monkey wrench into this picture and gone with bad advice IMHO. All you're going to do is give yourself headaches unless you actually need the subnets separated for any reason. It doesn't seem as if that is what the overall goal is, though.

I don’t need more subnets. I think people were trying to be helpful and I took their advice as Im not that versed in routing and networking and how to quickly set it up. But I’ve been the last 2-3 hours trying to unsuccessfully set up routes and I am seeing the light of how this is going to probably not work the way I want and I know what you mean.

Quote:
Another thought on your original config: Using only one upstream dns server/resolver is where you are screwing up. The other thing is, were all your clients set up or getting your R7000's IP address as the dns server? And why are you using server= line without a no-resolv line? I see several things that some folks should've picked up on already...

Yes I should have a couple of authoritative dns servers listed in the dnsmasq setup but I think by default that /etc/resolv.conf file is empty anyways.
All my clients were working fine by using my R7000 dnsmasq server. I had the dhcp server, when dishing out IPs, use my local R7000 IP as the first DNS server listed to
Clients. The second server listed for dhcp clients was my ISPs dns server.
You are correct on the no-resolv item.

ikwyl6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like the factory default and upgrade of fw did something right.. So it's back to the original set up (with newer fw) and seems to be working. Thanks all for the input, guidance, critique, etc.
ikwyl6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power outage again and same scenario. WebUI sometimes responds, sometimes it doesn't. ssh/dns sometimes responds, sometimes doesn't.

Is the best thing to do at this point is try to log in while I can get on the webui and do a factory reset? or should I try a ssh: nvram erase && reboot?

Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: