UI themes! preview/public builds BUG hunting REPORTING

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, you want some help text.

The server already tells you what it doesn't like, so that is what it need to be extended imo.

But here in lies the rub, I already tried to improve this and was the way it works is what BS did. Im not going to touch it until someone makes enough noise so he does better.

There is this saying (and I'm not implying it applies to you, its a general thing). "If you try to make something idiot proof, nature always develops a better idiot." But I also like what is said here

ho1Aetoo wrote:
Is this something like an IQ test you have to pass to use dd-wrt? Laughing

Well, since you went there Smile, I would have to say in my humble opinion, YES!

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://external-preview.redd.it/n96-vXXYk9iF-q1SdWFRdaH56e2q44BvkhcX-TzzXrY.png?auto=webp&s=d4121ce0390ec264ec59b2443771f9ab80007c14

something along these lines.

so that you can see and know which characters are allowed even if you do not have internet access to search the forum.

i think this would be helpful for many

otherwise you generate 10 passwords and get a different error message for each of them

and that characters are accepted which make a login impossible is also strange

But I have already written BS
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Until the characters that are accepted but make login impossible is solved, I cant do much to add those to list, but I can add a title/aria-label to input, which title will render a tooltip browser side and aria-label will be screen-reader friendly.

If you use my password generator it wont ever fail its DD-WRT compatible.

see this https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/c4a7467938203113a17fa16fc75c2fb85b4820cd/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/changepass.asp#L60-L62

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
see this https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/c4a7467938203113a17fa16fc75c2fb85b4820cd/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/changepass.asp#L60-L62

Yes there are also characters listed that are not supported

I think this is the corresponding code

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/blob/master/src/router/kromo/dd-wrt/common.js#L433

https://github.com/the-j0k3r/batch-101/blob/master/Simple%20Password%20Generator/Simple%20Password%20Generator.bat#L47

if i see this right then your generator also generates passwords with the character : which is not allowed
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
That Js validates only, so anything added there will trigger the invalid symbols

Anywho this is my proposal for help crap, no alternative designs were considered Im too hot for doing different.

https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/pull/298/files

Ill fix my gen now.

PS

gen fixed I also removed | which according to BS is used as a username/password delimiter on the server

Last edited by the-joker on Wed Jul 27, 2022 13:48; edited 2 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will update the wiki if *someone* will make a note in the other thread and point to this thread with this link, which will also be added to the wiki for clarification. Thanks for updating and pointing that out, @ho1Aetoo.

ho1Aetoo wrote:
Is this something like an IQ test you have to pass to use dd-wrt? Laughing

Well, I would share how BrainSlayer feels about stupid people here, but the short answer is "yes" Twisted Evil

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have some comments / suggestions regarding the web GUI, but I'm too lazy to search the forum to see if there's a dedicated thread for web GUI comments/suggestions, or if the comments/suggestions have been posted before, so I can just dump my opinion here?
(I don't even know the correct term to search)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK Here is the correct and only dedicated place (hence this thread in on build threads), just please make sure that where required you make comments with screenshots attached and highlight your areas so that my dumb-ass overheated brain doesn't miss the visual queues.

All feedback/suggestions welcome but please dont make me read walls of text, its too hot for that. lol = last one laughing.

Please ensure your on latest public build also, as usual Im a busy bee and things keep on moving forward.

If you're not too lazy this thread has announcements on what it was recently changed, wither this page or two pages back if you ignore the password symbols stuff.

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker

yes the help text is not bad
with the "invalid symbols" you can also do something
at least you know what you have to exclude in the generator.

I generate my passwords with "pwgen" on the command line
Code:

pwgen -y -s -r ^:*\`\'\" 30
M+ehZbjP_uh=6&}Lz/aeTztSiiHA]Z &gy/nx>@(6{cvBt<x3E%X>{=R/pG.l
1Rg|e#m,a!x4{c~&nq;o&ugf+hgfpy HH]y3oNJuq%y%Hpu5J&<Jx98,?N<[C
G|gu]|OGJ>LqZ2)6s!ID9B9;MysjL9 oyZG~7==1$)M!L7qu.gJ>|V1#l(H-6
F0<W,i!_B)u||BXZy&C#Pm2N[i)Jt> <9AK+ce%N#dgWI#3T0tMjERSrYx}w6
_[5&\[m,fmLohAi?]-LVIwWo>79ZAJ i;Ri7=fGY5e-~Hqw<PuwX?98BB}2Ft
t6}mVfalQ)NPmg0RE}lnS=%HtePSlQ R1\.j/K/</b0z3XNDEN(/IPO.hEF6,
...etc
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would be nice to have a built in decent password generator (the cool kids do it). The Existing password strength/score meter is bullshit IMO, the validation is nonsense and doesn't actually distinguish between what it considers to be a strong password an something that is truly hard to crack.

e.g. this https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm is better

The invalid symbols on submitted patch, have not been patched into the validator anyway, so currently its inconsistent and incomplete and wont trigger an invalid symbols entry, like the ^*: do

Patches welcome for both Wink cof.

PS

this link http://www.passwordmeter.com/ looks awfully familiar.

Last edited by the-joker on Wed Jul 27, 2022 17:40; edited 1 time in total
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@IONK Here is the correct and only dedicated place (hence this thread in on build threads), just please make sure that where required you make comments with screenshots attached and highlight your areas so that my dumb-ass overheated brain doesn't miss the visual queues.

All feedback/suggestions welcome but please dont make me read walls of text, its too hot for that. lol = last one laughing.

Please ensure your on latest public build also, as usual Im a busy bee and things keep on moving forward.

If you're not too lazy this thread has announcements on what it was recently changed, wither this page or two pages back if you ignore the password symbols stuff.
  1. Floating buttons(?): I know it's modern and it allows quick access to the buttons without having to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, but somehow I don't like it, maybe because it reminds me of the annoying mobile-targeted ads on some websites, or maybe I'm just old-fashioned. Maybe you can start a poll to see how other people feel?

2. Floating auto refresh button: this is tricky, because for most users, auto refresh is enabled, so the button is greyed out, and there's little meaning to float it, but if the user disables auto refresh then floating is a good idea. Also, this depends on the first point above: whether to float or not to float the buttons in general.
    I have a feeling that you forget to disable the floating auto refresh button for the /Syslog.asp page, because you've recently disabled the floating auto refresh button everywhere else.

3. /Syslog.asp page: scrollbar and Prev/Next button coexist: when I want to check syslog, I need to scroll down, then click Next, then repeat. Although my window height is much larger than the number of syslog lines, the scrollbar is still there. I prefer to either scroll the syslog all the way or use prev/next buttons to navigate the syslog pages, not the combination of both. Actually scrollbar may be more prefered, because I can see which portion of syslog I'm viewing, whereas the next button can still be clicked even after reaching the last line of log.

747.png
 Description:
/Syslog.asp page: scrollbar and Prev/Next button coexist
 Filesize:  284.82 KB
 Viewed:  1686 Time(s)

747.png

745.png
 Description:
floating auto refresh button on /Syslog.asp page
 Filesize:  53.35 KB

745.png

743.png
 Description:
floating buttons(?)
 Filesize:  21.84 KB

743.png

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like the wrong bits were put into the floating .submitFooter area. Just checked all themes and styles to see if my eyes weren't deceiving me. I don't mind the floating save / apply / cancel / reboot buttons, makes it easier to not have to scroll to the bottom. The syslog page is what it is and it will not change, even though some people want it to be a single scrolling page. I think the scrollbar in the text block should be adjusted or removed - rather than have that scrolling, the entire length of the page should negate the need for that scrollbar because you have to scroll that then scroll the page to get the full picture regardless of the floating buttons. Of course, there are folks who took the ideas behind MyPage, BWMON, AutoAP, and other things floating around and have been developing ways to replace certain nagging bits and pieces, but you're never going to please everyone when it comes to UI and UX. We can only hope to please the majority if they provide feedback.

the-joker wrote:
Patches welcome for both Wink cof.

Hastening a thorough <edited>blahblablah</edited> Rolling EyesLaughingWinkTwisted Evil

mod :edit: thanks for your continued and relentless reminder, Contributors and real contributions are needed and warranted, two or three developers do not a project make.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 18:05; edited 1 time in total
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK and others

1) and 2) are same sort of thing, you cannot say for sure who and how many users have the default on, we have no metrics, collect no telemetry and thus any stats provided are wild guesses.

1) Sure I can start a poll, but this doesn't work as any real stats measurement tool, we dont have enough actively participating members to represent the sum total of actual DD-WRT users and those who engage in poll voting and feedback (I have tried this before and its a total flop, just lok at our build threads, would you take a dozen or so users as a measurements against the thousands who dont even engage as a metric), you dont like it, I added it and dont like it Wink, but my personal opinion fades when compared to accessibility/usability and user experience, this sadly cannot be made optional as it stands currently. Watch this space.

I would love to make this optional, JavaScript sure allows it, if you go back to the announcement of the feature introduction post here you will see this is experimental to gain feedback, and nothing like real feedback to gauge opinions vs options.
Since I cant really do any A <-> B testing this is my poor man's choice awards.

So far, counting your opinion is a loss already for removal. and I dont like it is not a reason, because naturally on some intrusive changes like this, we have to accpet change for the better is mostly hard to accept to the verbal percentage of users.

3) there is nothing unusual about this, it has always worked like this, so far seems that generally people would prefer to have no previous/next buttons and rather scroll for ever and a day, yes I keep tabs on feedback, logs can be massive, either way you are wasting time scrolling of clicking or both.

The syslog is rendered within an iframe, this allows for prev/next buttons its impossible to indeed make the iframe tall enough to remove the scroll bar, if you dont understand how long a pience of string could be, then its start to think about it, but consider that I have 4 competing designs legacy wise to make this work across all available themes. Content withing iframes is not tragetable via CSS unless each style has unique CSS for it Recently I already wasted many hours on fixing legacy themes like xirian/brainslayer/kromo/Wikar where I could have spent that time elsewhere in more needed and deserving areas.

The scrollbar in syslog will always exist as long as the content of what is to come after still fills the available height, so, the height dependes on how much log there is and this could be anything between 100% or 999999999% tall depends on how man days your router is up for.

So this is my least favorite subject and time waster. Even if I was paid for the work, its a drag on the only resource I have which is time and once expended I wont get back.

So to conclude, this is a long term project, nothing is written in stone but there are priorities to user experience and accessibility that are prevalent on general personal and even my own opinions.

Things will stay like this for more builds to come, eventually things will be reworked time allowing and personal circumstances allowing.

What I noticed is you @IONK have no feedback about our new submenu selected tab changes and this is also something new and intrusive that was made for same user experience (UX) and accessibility reasons.

Feel free to continue the discussion however, Im open and willing to listen to sane and well argued points of view.

Finally, floating actually is called sticky does not activate if any window doesn't scroll, so if you have some ancient setup or weird resolution it will stick/float. I will however remove the sticky behavior from syslog ASAP.

IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker @kernel-panic69 I understand now, thanks for the rationales and the behind-the-scene info.

I know it's too late now because you've fixed all the themes, but would it be better to remove/reduce the legacy themes so that it's easier to move forward? People will complain, but if it's for the majority's benefit then people have to accept that trade-offs are unavoidable.

the-joker wrote:
What I noticed is you have no feedback about our new submenu selected tab changes
Sorry I have no comment about that, maybe because it's a subtle change in appearance? I'm color-blind by the way.
the-joker wrote:
logs can be massive, either way you are wasting time scrolling of clicking or both.
Last time I checked, there's log rotation, so the syslog page is not that super long to browse through using the prev/next buttons. The good thing with the syslog page is that the errors/warnings are highlighted in red/yellow.

All my comments about web GUI are not bug report, just user-wish, in case someday you're suddenly in the mood of revamping the web GUI.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried removing the legacy themes, read back on this thread.

I tried to make the support burden minimal across all themes by using CSS that works and making it common across all styles (instead of re-writing old crap), but sadly its not so simply because things aren't given enough time to evolve and are shot down.

So there are limits.

As far as my mood to revamping the web UI, its kinda obvious I want to and thats been my main driver for personal interests all along, I do this for me, if most happen to enjoy it so much the better. this is the nature of opensource, the dealer chooses.

I prefer feedback so at least I have some idea where to point the gun as one pair of eyes cant see the whole forest, and I have a limited amount of bullets and these decrease every hour of every day, real life is coming after me with snarling teeth and with a wish to shoot back and perhaps kill me dead instead.

Not so much of a allegory FYI.

So keep the feedback coming in, shine those headlights on the most pressing issues, and I can address them asap.

And BTW thank for understanding, its not easy to be on the other side either.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 22
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: