Can’t see 5 GHZ access point in survey on dual band WRT 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your WRT600N is like the E-series, wl0 is your 2.4 band and wl1 is your 5GHz band. Not sure what the coverage is at this campground, but I'm pretty sure they are only broadcasting on the 2.4 band... so, if you're not seeing a 5GHz AP, it's because it doesn't exist. I have never seen a campground have 5GHz APs because they do not broadcast very far to begin with.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If your WRT600N is like the E-series, wl0 is your 2.4 band and wl1 is your 5GHz band. Not sure what the coverage is at this campground, but I'm pretty sure they are only broadcasting on the 2.4 band... so, if you're not seeing a 5GHz AP, it's because it doesn't exist. I have never seen a campground have 5GHz APs because they do not broadcast very far to begin with.

Ok so I understand that since I can see in Wireless settings that W1 is set to 5 Ghz so that needs to be set to the Client or Client Bridge and the W0 is 2.4 AP now as to there being 5 GHZ here, the staff said they were sure there wasn't but I ran a Wifi analyzer on my phone and on my PC and it shows a 5 GHZ Channel 36 AP, i'm including a screengrab of it, not showing the name for obvious reasons. If that's not 5GHz than what is? BTW I'm down in the Texas Gulf. Not that it matters.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the park staff says there's no 5GHz AP, then that is someone else's AP, regardless of what SSID it's broadcasting; at least that is my best "semi-educated" guess. You can try to connect to it with whatever information you have and see, I guess.

P.S. I have worked a few contracts for campgrounds, and we have never installed 5GHz APs due to cost effectiveness.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If the park staff says there's no 5GHz AP, then that is someone else's AP, regardless of what SSID it's broadcasting; at least that is my best "semi-educated" guess. You can try to connect to it with whatever information you have and see, I guess.

P.S. I have worked a few contracts for campgrounds, and we have never installed 5GHz APs due to cost effectiveness.

I suppose you could be right it never occcured to me that might the case and someone here could be using the SSID, however I did trace the signal with the Wifi scanner to a AP in the park that is not more than 30 feet away from me and I know for a fact it belongs to the campground. Well I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try to connect to that SSID with the password I have if it connects then I will know for sure it's the campground. One thing I don't understand is why the Wifi scanners detect the 5GHz and site survey doesn't? Thanks for the tips.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: