Create 2 Wireless networks for 2 VLAN's through same WAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Enigma86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 22:09    Post subject: Create 2 Wireless networks for 2 VLAN's through same WAP Reply with quote
Hello. I've been looking around for this answer and it seems to allude me. I have a netgear nighthawk 1900 that I have dd-wrt on and set as an AP for my internal home network that is attached to a Brocade switch and on the other side of the brocade switch is a server running PFsense. VLAN 20 (home network) and VLAN 30 (guest network) come off the ports of the switch. VLAN 20 is already ran to the WAP and has a 5ghz and 2.4 ghz setup for it and it works. I need to run VLAN 30 into a separate port on the nighthawk and create a second set (5 ghz and 2.4 ghz)of networks for that guest account.

In the VLAN settings I already have ethernet ports 3 and 4 set to VLAN 2 (home network is on dd-wrt vlan 1) but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get that network tied to a wireless network in dd-wrt.

I actually need to do this for work as I'm doing forensics on a machine that we got from one of our users and I want to make sure it's in a segregated network.

Thank you!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Part of the key information on the answer you seek is what build number of DD-WRT you are running, as this will determine how to proceed. It is preferred that you are running a current release from this year as the way vlans are handled on DD-WRT have changed for Broadcom devices. Since you are behind another firewall, this could be negligible for now; however, when you upgrade, you may run into issues.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Enigma86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
It appears to be old.

Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/1Cool
Enigma86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so I've gotten some more stuff done. I have added the Virtual Wireless interface Wl0.1 and have encrypted it. It is showing up on my computer. I then went and created a bridge "br1". I set the br1 address to the subnet of the VLAN 30 with appropriate subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I then have assigned the bridge to the wl0.1 interface. Since both connections run back to PFsense as the DHCP server I then DHCP is disabled on the WAP so I shouldn't need to touch that. I am unable to log on to the network so far.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
This wiki isn't completely updated regarding vlans; I don't know what router you have, specifically, but on a build that old, you would likely need to read the switched ports wiki.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:VLANs

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Enigma86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thank you for your help. I'll try to get through that stuff later today or tomorrow. I was not able to solve it yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: