iPhone 12 loses connection to 5GHz, seems fine on 2.4 GHz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 22:47    Post subject: iPhone 12 loses connection to 5GHz, seems fine on 2.4 GHz Reply with quote
Hello,

Based on prior posts, I've set
tcp_tw_recycle = 0 and
tcp_tw_reuse = 0

While waking phone from sleep, I first see phone connected on 5G and then it changes over to wifi.

When default was 5GHz then most of the times, I'd have to manually connect to wifi, sometimes it would connect to wifi but many times it won't

For the past 24 hours, I've set 2.4GHz as default and even though coming out of sleep, I occasionally see 5G, phone switches to wifi on its own, have not had to manually set it to wifi.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sponsor
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Other than giving specifics on what your R7800's 5GHz radio settings are...? Those two variables have nothing to do with wi-fi connectivity, specifically. Just in case that was misunderstood.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
here are my 5GHz settings
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router is R7800
Running version - r47305
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The debate over optimal settings has been had and obviously those settings do not work for your iPhone. It also looks as if the wiki has been updated for QCA wireless settings.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
most of my settings did come from wiki.

do you see anything that does not match or is an issue?
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Protection Mode
Recommended Setting: RTS/CTS* or None for AP modes, & RTS/CTS for client modes

RTS Threshold
Recommended Setting: Enable @ 2346 or Disable for AP modes, Enable (980 - 1500, or slightly lower if NEEDED) for client modes

And personally, I use BI of 100 and DTIM of 2-5. Because otherwise, you need to leave the DTIM at 1 IMHO.

----------
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try lowering your wireless channel
Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some other things to try:
Disable RTS threshold (already advised earlier)
Lower ack timing to 900 (I know the wiki state 3150)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Following are my 2.4GHz settings that seem to be working fine with RTS enabled.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
    1. Since you're in the USA use USA for the country and not Panama, you will see no gains in using another country because your iphone will be limited to US pwr restrictions back to the router. This is true of any phone/os in their respective country unless you've jailbroken or rooted your device to do something else (very unlikely for most users).

2. You've selected a weather radar channel and you're going to have shit performance in those bands. Use either 36 or 48 or 149 or 161.

3. Use airtime fairness or you risk that older/slower wifi devices will dominate the router's air time and suck up all the bandwidth.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
    1. Since you're in the USA use USA for the country and not Panama, you will see no gains in using another country because your iphone will be limited to US pwr restrictions back to the router. This is true of any phone/os in their respective country unless you've jailbroken or rooted your device to do something else (very unlikely for most users).

2. You've selected a weather radar channel and you're going to have shit performance in those bands. Use either 36 or 48 or 149 or 161.

3. Use airtime fairness or you risk that older/slower wifi devices will dominate the router's air time and suck up all the bandwidth.

Changing to USA
Enable Airtme fairness

getting terrible speeds on 149/161
will try 36/48.
Had good speed 400+ on 132 earlier
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
always depends on where you live
if you are lucky you can use the complete frequency range / all channels without problems

i live in the allowed border area of a TWDR and can use the midband without problems

this is what the american FCC says:

https://fccid.io/QZEWLA532E/Letter/Operation-to-Avoid-TDWR-Interference-1999759.pdf

of course then only for the USA and not the rest of the world
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
always depends on where you live
if you are lucky you can use the complete frequency range / all channels without problems

i live in the allowed border area of a TWDR and can use the midband without problems

this is what the american FCC says:

https://fccid.io/QZEWLA532E/Letter/Operation-to-Avoid-TDWR-Interference-1999759.pdf

of course then only for the USA and not the rest of the world

Thanks, so I don't seem to be close to any TWDR on the list. I did try other channels and I get best speeds on 132.

Could it be that no one uses that channel in my neighborhood? Very Happy

I set to USA and enabled Airtime Fairness but kept channel at 132. those are the only changes so far and speed seems to be good.
Now will try other changes one by one.
It seems that channel quality takes some time to improve after a change. I usually run a test half an hour after making changes. CQ starts at 60-70% and gradually increases to 90%
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
the channel quality depends on yourself Wink

If you choose a clean channel and then start a very long throughput measurement, you can see how the channel quality drops
(the channels are busy) but not by others but by your own devices

and the webif shows average values
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: