Archer C7 v4 fast lan, slow internet through wireless bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
KKappa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 21:08    Post subject: Archer C7 v4 fast lan, slow internet through wireless bridge Reply with quote
I have a pair of ubiquiti devices(powerbeam m2)
First is connected to lan port of archer, other to a laptop
They are working as a wds bridge so my laptop sees the same network no matter if connected directly to archer or through that wireless bridge.

The problem is, transferring files in LAN through the bridge works as expected(almost 100mbps because these devices have only 100 ethernet) but connection with internet is slow, around 15mbps, if i increase quality of wireless link it goes up a little.

I suspect the router does something so the wireless link has to send many small packets so connection is slower than expected but i'm not sure. Anyway, pings are good, there's no packet loss but max speed is low.

And i know it's routers fault because i temporarily replaced archer with another router(without dd-wrt) and internet connection through link was fast, as expected
Sponsor
KKappa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgraded to r47381 (before i had a version from march), also restored default settings, didn't help.
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're using a 100Mbit/s wireless bridge connecting to a gigabit switch and expecting full throughput which likely is not going to happen. Did you try setting your laptop ethernet adapter to forced 100Mbit/s full duplex and test the speed directly wired to the Archer C7 v4? Is SFE turned on? We have no idea of your overall configuration on the Archer or your ISP advertised bandwidth up/down.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
KKappa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried and in fact it's slow! So it's not the wireless bridge, just lack of gigabit ethernet
My internet connection is 50/5 and through 100mbps lan i got 20/5 on speedtest.net, but copying files over lan goes still as expected, 98mbps in task manager.

SFE=Shortcut Forwarding Engine? It was enabled and after disabling it there is no difference.
I tried to enable stp too, no difference.

Also as i said, if i substitute archer with another router i have(tenda ac11, it has gigabit switch too) speedtest goes as expected, around 53 mbps even over 100mb ethernet

Also i said, i tried to restore defaults, connect it to isp's router which is set as a bridge so it acts like a modem
And the problem is still there so its not because of my changes in config
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you test with full gigabit link from LAN and get better results? I see no reason that the hardware of the C7 v4 being unable to handle a 50/5 connection, though.
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
KKappa wrote:
I just tried and in fact it's slow!
My internet connection is 50/5 and through 100mbps lan i got 20/5 on speedtest.net, but copying files over lan goes still as expected, 98mbps in task manager.

Also i said, i tried to restore defaults, connect it to isp's router which is set as a bridge so it acts like a modem
And the problem is still there so its not because of my changes in config

So the C7 is your Gateway to internet with PPPoE connected to ISP device (set as modem) ?

You cannot compare LAN and WAN speed on a internet gateway. On WAN you have NAT and a different MTU size on the modem connect. On LAN there is no NAT, Routing and MTU of 1500.

Did you check/lower the MTU on the WAN port that is connected to the ISP modem ? Try to change the default 1500 to 1400 for example. Check the internet speed again.
If you get more speed increase MTU until speed drops again

Last edited by servicetech on Thu Sep 16, 2021 15:05; edited 1 time in total
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^^^ Something I *totally* forgot about Embarassed Rolling Eyes Good catch @servicetech!
----------
KKappa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
My isps router/modem assigns dynamic ip, there's no authentication(it's cable internet). Problem exists when isp device is set in any mode(both router and bridge).
If isp's device is in router mode and i plug 100mbps ethernet directly, there's no problem. 53mbps on speedtest.

Also i got a new router(archer ax90). There's no problem too if i plug 100mbps ethernet there

Today i configured the problematic router in client bridge mode, first radio connected to ax90, second in access point. Problem still exists when i connect via 100ethernet to this router. Speedtest around 20mbps.
But when i connect to the same router via 1gbit i get normal speed again. Even when i connect via wifi with 65mbps rate i get 40mbps on speedtest so as expected.

So 3 other routers can handle this situation, but archer c7 with dd-wrt can't.

MTU was set to 1500 and largest pings which can pass without fragmentation are 1472. Tried lowering by 100 to 1000, no difference.

I tried basically every option in gui and still can't fix this bastard... Also i used "tcp optimizer" which applied "optimal" settings on my laptop just to see what's going to happen and it actually improved things a little, now i get few mbps more on speedtest.
KKappa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just flashed stock firmware, and it works good so it's something related to dd-wrt

Openwrt works too! But i don't really want to use it, i try to interact with raw linux as little as possible because even simple problems can become a nightmare there 😁
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now I am curious if this has anything to do with the DSCP quirk that affected speeds on Broadcom routers:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/2996

----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: