Issues with TP-Link WDR4900 Client Mode & Reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
zamar19 wrote:
Strange that while TPL router is connected as a Client on wlan1 2.4 Ghz to the modem-router AP, the modem-router got connected back as a Client on wlan0 5Ghz

there is no client connected to wlan0 at all
I don't know where you want to see that
Sponsor
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The wireless status pages from DD-WRT clearly show that both of those entries are from wlan1.

wlan0 screen is indeed confusing, its unclear whether Hitron is a client of wlan1 or wlan1 is a client of Hitron. And its irrelevant to wlan0 info.

Last edited by zamar19 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:15; edited 2 times in total
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
at the bottom of the page at wireless nodes all connections of all radios are displayed
each connection also shows which radio it is connected to
and the one shown connection is wlan1 and not wlan0
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for clarifying. Still the issue of setting wlan0 5Ghz as a modem Client instead of wlan1 2.4Ghz is unresolved. May be Atheros to Broadcom chipset tandem requires extra tuneup?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is also missing additional information like the WLAN settings on the client and the Hitron

do a site survey search on the wlan0 intertface and show the network properties of the Hitron and also move the mouse pointer over the entries in the "open" column to see the security settings and click on "join" on the right
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Security is WPA2 Personal (AES) for both wlan0 & wlan1 and the modem-router. I tried that before and now, but the modem AP is connected and immediately dropped intermittently with wlan0 as Client showing "Channel unknown" in Status. I switched wlan1 to local segment AP to avoid interference. It works stable vice versa. Access to Hitron Wireless settings is very scars via public UI, Band Steering is enabled if relevant. I can't freely change Hitron settings as this is common access WiFi.

zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone suggest any resolution? I realize that combination of Atheros and Broadcom chipsets can cause issues, but this forum has many experienced pros to suggest some workarounds. Or may be someone more experienced can open a ticket for it in the Bug tracker?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Band Steering is enabled if relevant

Yes that could be a problem.

Better would be (at least for testing purposes) to disable band steering and assign different SSID's to the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.

Quote:
Security is WPA2 Personal (AES) for both wlan0 & wlan1 and the modem-router

But it shows WPA / WPA2 / TKIP / CCMP on the hitron.

Would also be a possibility to test with TKIP or without encryption.

according to the site survey, there is another AP in the immediate vicinity on channel 36 with an RSI of -61 - this is certainly not optimal either.

since you never know exactly what the problem is, you could also try a different network mode (mixed or N-only are still available).

Quote:
Or may be someone more experienced can open a ticket for it in the Bug tracker?

too less information to create a meaningful ticket

is the problem only between the WDR4900 and the Hitron or does it also not work with other AP's?

can other 5ghz clients connect to the Hitron (I see only 2.4Ghz clients on the screenshots) ?

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35; edited 1 time in total
d33b0_n4p41m
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
My vote is to change the wireless settings on the Hitron to only use WPA2 and AES. Only reason to have TKIP or anything less is to support legacy devices which do not support WPA2/AES, which I do not know of *any* 5GHz wifi devices that fall into that category ^_^
----------
“Life is about moving on, accepting changes and looking forward to what makes you stronger and more complete.” ~ Anonymous
zamar19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
While trying to resolve 5gHz Client connection issue to the modem, I noticed another issue. When 2.4gHz wlan1 was assigned as Client to the modem, and 5gHz wlan0 as AP to the TPL router LAN segment, the wireless AP interface and wired Ethernet LAN interface were bridged, so the LAN interface has the same name in PC Networking Control Panel as the AP SSID.

But then if I change that SSID, the LAN interface name remains unchanged. Is that a bug, or how to update wired LAN interface name seen on the ethernet adapter in Windows Network Connections Panel? I tried to list the router interface names, but entering any command like "nvram get wl0_ifname" in WebUI Commands textarea does NOT produce any output from the router (using current Chrome browser)???
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: