TM-AC1900 / RT-AC68U update dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
templeofdoom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 15:43    Post subject: TM-AC1900 / RT-AC68U update dd-wrt Reply with quote
Hi, sorry if this comes across as a noob question. I have searched already, and I have also retraced my steps when I originally flashed this router.

I have a T-Mobile AC1900 that has been flashed to RT-AC68U firmware, and then flashed with a quite old version of dd-wrt. 3.0-r366988M.

Im attempting to update it to something more recent, like r47182.

The .trx file isn't working to update within the dd-wrt GUI, and I suspect that's not the correct way for this device (I would have expected a .bin file for the update within the GUI).

The guide I used to flash this to RT firmware and dd-wrt goes through the mini-CFE web UI in rescue mode with a 10-second reset sequence and 192.168.29.1. That rescue mode doesn't seem to activate since the RT and dd-wrt flash. (Yes, I change my local IP to that subnet).

It would be great if the wiki page for this device could be updated for how to do regular updates after the flash. But in the absence of that, anyone care to share pointers on how to do routine updates on this device?

thanks
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread may shed some light, may not. Perhaps @dTX or one of the other folks in the thread may chime in with some wisdom. I don't have one of these converted devices in hand.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329743

Also, depending on which version you're on now, the reset button might be b0rked. There seems to be confusion on reset vs wps button for recovery mode.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are using a build with an M after the version number, sounds like you are using a Kong build which prefer .bin files to be flashed in the firmware update section.

.trx files are what traditional BrainSlayer builds for RT-AC68U and similar models use in the beta downloads section.

Since Kong no longer provides DD-wrt builds, you will need to upgrade using BrainSlayer builds in.trx file format.

My suggestion is to use the mini-cfe web server that starts up at your router's IP address when it is in recovery mode, to then flash the .trx file. If that does not work at first, try erasing nvram from the mini-cfe webserver page and try uploading the file again.

It may help that you are uploading when connected to LAN port 1 on the router to prevent upload timeout through the cfe webserver page.

Reset button on ARM-based routers only restart the device and should not be used for the traditional 30-30-30 reset.

Holding the WPS button on the Cellspot while turning the power on until the power LED starts rapidly flashing, will clear the nvram settings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Success!

Quote:
use the mini-cfe web server that starts up at your router's IP address

That's what did it, the CFE is starting at the router's IP address. I was looking at 192.168.29.1 all this time, because that's what was mentioned in the original conversion guide.

The recessed reset button on the back is what put it in recovery mode (holding it when powering on, and power light blinks slowly). Then the CFE was accessible.

Many thanks for the explanation about the Kong and Brainslayer builds.

I was able to successfully load r47182 via .trx file via the CFE.

Thanks @MDA400 and @kernel-panic69
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: