Inbound IP problem

Pilotdave69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23    Post subject: Inbound IP problem Reply with quote
Hi All,

I'm having a bit of a problem with IP addresses and I'm wondering if somebody with more knowledge can help please?

I have an E900 running DD-WRT v3.0-r47256 mega, using a tunnelled OpenVPN for inbound traffic only using the built in OpenVPN server.

My reason for having it is twofold.
Firstly, when away from home I can VPN to my more secure home internet connection instead of relying on dodgy public wifi.
Secondly, it would be good to watch TV whilst away using the media box on the home network.

Thanks to the excellent guides within this forum, I have managed to get the basic connection to back home working, so I now have a secure internet connection.

Unfortunately, the second part of my problem is still unresolved, connecting to the media box. Unfortunately, it appears to only want to connect to devices within the same IP range/subnet.

The LAN uses the IP range 192.168.5.x
The VPN server uses the IP range 10.8.0.x

The simple question is, is it possible to make an inbound connection which has been allocated a 10.8.0.x IP address appear on the LAN as 192.168.5.x please so that the media box will talk to it? Is there a simple solution to this please?

I have tried searching but can't find an answer.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

Dave
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configure OpenVPN for bridging using the TAP Interface.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
A bridged OpenVPN server (tap) would work, but just beware, mobile devices have traditionally NOT supported the OpenVPN client in bridged mode (tap), only routed (tun). Seems to be an artificially imposed limitation by iOS and Android. I do recall someone in the past mentioning it would work w/ Android, but I believe that was with a jail broken device.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Pilotdave69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both for your replies, very much appreciated.

Sadly, I am tied to Android so it isn't going to work for me. Sad

I'll have to look into the possibility of finding some suitable hardware to take away with me to act as the bridge that Android can't provide...

Many thanks again.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: