/dev/root Mounted RO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rainbowspoint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 19:21    Post subject: /dev/root Mounted RO Reply with quote
Router: NetGear R7000P
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47256 std (08/25/21)
Previous upgrade path: From stock (new router)
jffs: Seems to be working

Other notes:A USB hard drive seems to work. I was able to dump some data on it earlier. I have /opt mounted at /dev/sda1 (2gb partition) and I think a swap partition is on at /dev/sda2 (256mb partition), with /dev/sda3 devoted to storage (1.4TB). Yes, this is a USB2 drive hanging on a USB2 hub.

Ultimate goal: Installing a USB printer

Expected behavior: My understanding is that /dev/root should mount RW so that I can run tools like ipkg

Issue: /dev/root is mounting read only

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# mount
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=512k)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/mtdblock/5 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,relatime)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sde1 on /opt type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,data=ordered,init_itable=0)
/dev/sde3 on /tmp/mnt/sde3 type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,data=ordered,init_itable=0)

This means that I'm unable run ipkg update, thus:
Code:
root@DD-WRT:/jffs# ipkg update
mkdir: can't create directory '//usr/local/lib/': Read-only file system

Question: Is this what I'm supposed to see? I'm guessing not, since ipkg won't run. If it's not, where do I go? FAQ, search terms, threads welcome.

Additional:
I've attached a complete dmesg from right after reboot for those who wish to look at it.

dmesg-2021-08-29-14-19.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dmesg-2021-08-29-14-19.txt
 Filesize:  26.07 KB
 Downloaded:  89 Time(s)

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why was this not posted in the build thread? And why did you double-tap the attachment?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330059

The default ipkg will not work; you must install Entware. Properly. Not enough reading done, apparently.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
rainbowspoint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Why was this not posted in the build thread?

Because it's a request for support. See, e.g., my question:

rainbowspoint wrote:

Question: Is this what I'm supposed to see? I'm guessing not, since ipkg won't run. If it's not, where do I go? FAQ, search terms, threads welcome.

The build thread is not the appropriate place for a support request, as the third line of that thread clearly states:
blkt wrote:
Create threads for questions, general problems or use search; this thread is not for support.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
And why did you double-tap the attachment?

Because I'm new at phpBB. The interface was unclear to me that the attachment worked the first time, and I was unable to remove the second one.

But thanks for giving me a pointer in the right direction, even if you didn't answer the question I was careful to highlight as an actual question.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
This would have been fine to post in the build thread; I would've seen your post and answered just as I already answered your question earlier (only probably a bit less abrasive, lol):
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The default ipkg will not work; you must install Entware. Properly. Not enough reading done, apparently.
Was there a more complete answer you were looking for? The link to the wiki on installing Entware? The ipkg feature still present in DD-WRT is likely for Optware, which is deprecated since 2015, if I am not mistaken. Anyhow, this could've been left as a flash report worded a little differently, with or without a question, and would've been totally fine. No harm, no foul. Wasn't meaning to be rude.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:43    Post subject: Re: /dev/root Mounted RO Reply with quote
rainbowspoint wrote:
Issue: /dev/root is mounting read only

Expected behavior: My understanding is that /dev/root should mount RW so that I can run tools like ipkg

No this is normal and wanted, dd-wrt uses a compressed squashfs as filesystem and this is always read only - is also a security feature that nothing can be manipulated on the router.
It wouldn't help you if ipkg would work because dd-wrt has no package management and there are no software feeds.

So the bug report is nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: