OpenVPN routing for older DD-WRT routers with OpenVPN 2.4

x53sv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:28    Post subject: OpenVPN routing for older DD-WRT routers with OpenVPN 2.4 Reply with quote
Hello.

I finally figured out a bunch of things.

If you have a newer OpenVPN server with an older DD-WRT OpenVPN client, you'll bump into the tls-crypt vs tls-auth issue. The older DDWRT config system doesn't know how to configure tls-crypt. It will default to tls-auth and your client will never finish the connection. Here is how you can fix it. In the older clients, the server shows up as openvpnserver and the client as openvpn. But if you do a killall, both will shut down.

Administration -> Commands => Save Startup
Code:
sleep 20
sed -i "s/tls-auth/tls-crypt/" /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf
PID=`ps | grep "openvpn --" | grep -v grep| cut -f1 -d\ `
if [ "$PID" != "" ] ; then kill -9 $PID ; fi
openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh --route-pre-down /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh --daemon

If you're having trouble getting the packets to flow, the automatic routing isn't as great in the older routers. So you'll need the following:

Administration -> Commands => Save Firewall
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun+ -o br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun+ -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I INPUT -i tun+ -j ACCEPT

You'll notice I've used tun+ instead of a numbered value. This is because you might be running both client and server at once. Also, there is no guarantee that this is the only tunnel in use. But tun+ will accept all tunnels.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very old clients do not have tls-crypt that was added almost two years ago in build 41304 (page 20 of the OpenVPN server setup guide)

New clients and server can handle tls-auth so you can also use that or better upgrade, older clients also have security issues.

Your firewall rules open up the clients firewall something you can do if you trust your VPN provider for 100%, something I do not, so perhaps not very safe to use.

Older clients had the firewall open and that has been corrected some time ago.

By default the OpenVPN clients firewall is closed (Inbound firewall on TUN is checked/enabled) by disabling this you can open up the firewall for your client e.g. if you want a site-to-site setup.

Anyway glad your problems are solved Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
x53sv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:11    Post subject: I'm the vpn provider. :) Reply with quote
You're right. I supply the VPN server. So I've opened it up on the r33555. I also did not have the tun firewall enabled. But I needed the rule anyway.

However, I've noticed that I'm still having a problem with packet flow in the r47206 build that I'm using. I'll have to test it out.

But I did want to point out that I have the tun firewall item turned off on that one too. I'm going to test this out. I think it might have to do with something in the firewall nat tables?

Is there another table I should look in?

P.S. Notice the RETURN before the last 2 MASQUERADES. I did not enter this. DD-WRT did. Do you know if this is fixed in a later build?

Code:

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 116 packets, 7456 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
    1    84 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      tun1    0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           
  685 51898 SNAT       all  --  *      vlan2   192.168.139.0/24     0.0.0.0/0            to:XXXXXXXXXX
    0     0 SNAT       all  --  *      vlan2   10.60.6.0/24         0.0.0.0/0            to:XXXXXXXXXX
    0     0 SNAT       all  --  *      vlan2   10.48.70.0/24        0.0.0.0/0            to:XXXXXXXXXX
    0     0 RETURN     all  --  *      br0     0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            PKTTYPE = broadcast
    0     0 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      br0     192.168.139.0/24     192.168.139.0/24   
    0     0 MASQUERADE  all  --  *      vlan2   10.60.60.0/24        0.0.0.0/0           

Code:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  tun1   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW

Code:

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  tun1   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            state NEW
x53sv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:38    Post subject: Found the problem - new router, new IP address Reply with quote
So the routing problem has been fixed.

I'm still wondering about the MASQUERADE entries after the RETURN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: