r7800 - firmware update failed - because it's a R7450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
esheyw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:11    Post subject: r7800 - firmware update failed - because it's a R7450 Reply with quote
I am trying to do first time dd-wrt install on an r7800, I'm following the guide in this thread exactly, did the reset etc, but when I try and upload the "R7800-factory-to-ddwrt-40270.img" file from the second post, the stock firmware errors out after a couple of seconds with "firmware update failed" and it kicks me back to the stock update page. I've tried Firefox, Edge, and IE (windows 10).

Am I doing something wrong? I was planning on using that build (the old Kong build the guide recommends for first flash) and then updating to the latest build from there.

I would assume/hope I could just use the latest build's factory-to-ddwrt file, but there's so much old information floating around I figured I'd ask before I did something stupid.

And while I've got eyeballs here (hopefully), is latest build a bad idea for this router, and if so, recommend me a build?

Thanks in advance, let me know if I forgot any required information.

Moderator note 08.30.21: Turned out this router was a R7450, not a R7800.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could be that you have one that has bad blocks on the flash, which would require a newer version of the factory-to-ddwrt.img.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324511

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325093

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328710

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1221626

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/12-11-2020-r44970/netgear-r7800/ (should be ok for initial flash)

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/08-15-2021-r47182/netgear-r7800/ (current release)

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may also wish to try Waterfox Classic, FF ESR, or Pale Moon. Private browsing mode, no extensions loaded, no intermingled browsing with the Internet, completely separate. You *shouldn't* need to disable your firewall.

You should also be able to TFTP flash the factory-to-ddwrt.img file Wink

Also, not to mention, I always revert back to the oldest stock firmware that I can find.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If no hardware problems try a different version stock firmware, or instead simply use TFTP recovery mode.
TFTP allows direct installation without having to worry about stock version or any additional step or hurdles.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client
https://pjo2.github.io/tftpd64/ 32bit portable tftpd32.452.zip 17 years edition tftpd32.464.zip current

My R7800 had stock 1.0.2.28 and it refused r46069, but then accepted r40270M. This was back in March.
Could have installed 1.0.2.80 then accepted r46069, or just TFTP factory-to-ddwrt. r47206 released today.
esheyw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off, thank you for the replies and the reading.

I downloaded pale moon, tried again with the file from the install guide thread, no dice, same error.

My router is running V1.2.0.74_1.0.1 stock firmware. I tried uploading the newest (1.2.0.82) off netgear's site; it takes slightly longer to error, but it still errors the same way.

Here's my dmesg output, but I can't parse it, if it's telling me I have bad blocks, I'm missing it.

Next step seems to be to try TFTP, but now I'm confused about which direction to go. Do I start with flashing:
a) current build factory-to-ddwrt.img?
b) upgrade my stock firmware to .82 (current relase)?
c) try to find a stock version .80 (seems to have been confirmed to work in this and other threads)?
d) the kong build from the install guide thread?

Sorry for needing so much help, I'm trying to get there just from reading but I haven't done this in 5 or 6 years and I don't recall any problems with my old DIR-880L so this is new territory for me.
esheyw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so I decided to just go ahead and try various things. Fortunately, I haven't broken anything as far as I can tell; unfortunately, I haven't effected any change, either.

steps I'm following:

• windows 10 tftp enabled
  • PC to LAN port 4 is the only connection besides power
  • dhcp disabled, 192.168.1.10 forced ip (windows forces you to put in static dns ips as well, so I just put in cloudflare, but I can't see how it'd be relevant)
  • router power off, wait 10+s, hold reset button, power on
  • release reset button when power LED goes from solid orange to flashing white
  • run `tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put factory-to-ddwrt.img` ASAP

And this is giving me a 30s-ish hang, then `connection request failed`. I've tried the current build factory-to-ddwrt,the specific kong build from the install guide, versions .80 and .82 of the stock firmware, even the latest openwrt build just in case that worked. All the same.

I've also tried using tftpd64 gui program, but that just silently hangs indefinitely (10+m wait, and on router reboot nothing's changed).

Really at a loss for where to go from here, since even stock firmware updates through the gui don't work. This is an open-box buy from amazon, so something esoteric could be wrong with it I guess, but idk. Should I just return it and try again with another unit? Any advice appreciated at this point.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anticipation window of 1024 in tftpd32/tftpd64 settings. I don't think Atheros devices would require nmrpflash. Optionally, you could likely use the Draytek Firmware Upgrade utility if you cannot get timing right.

----------------------
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
''Should I just return it and try again with another unit? Any advice appreciated at this point.''

i you explored all the options the way as you ware advised, with no avail...than nothing else left to do...

when TFTP... i always use tftpd32...disabled antivirus and firewall..set PC to static IP and follow Netgear tftp guide... just tftp 47182 on a friend R7800 unit couple of days ago...W 10 sucks anyway, so i always tftp form W7 ... Wink do not try to flash multiple 3rd party firmware's, as you will cause a mess...regarding flash, always follow gurus advises, if it doesn't work on tftp, serial is your way..but than again if unit is corrupted, its a goose chase...get another one...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
esheyw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, turns out the r7800 is discontinued. Didn't know that. Thing is, netgear is selling a different router as just the AC2600. But its definitely not an r7800. Kinda furious at both netgear for this bullshit and myself for not noticing.

Near as I can tell dd-wrt does not support this thing, so these are getting returned, and I'm still in the market for a new router.

Is getting a used r7800 worth it at this point? Or, is there a router that *isn't* discontinued (and available in canada) that anyone would like to recommend? Home network, Small house, single story, needs to be fast enough to handle an ~800Mb downstream (my old DIR-880L just ain't cutting it since I upgraded my service).

Thanks for the help, sorry it ended up being for nothing :v
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
What’s the best dd-wrt router to buy in 2021?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks as if it might be a R7450.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R7450

If so, it's supported (one I missed adding to the wiki!):

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/08-25-2021-r47256/netgear-r7450/

Might not be too late to flash DD-WRT to it via TFTP Twisted Evil

----------------------
esheyw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, yep, the r7450 firmware flashed from webgui no problem. I haven't had time to play around with it much but it all seems functional. It *is* reporting as an r6800 on the status page which is somewhat worrying.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Purely cosmetic, likely; need further identifying information to fix these things, but it is likely not a priority at the moment. Going to leave this thread intact for the moment, for posterity purposes; at some point, aisle 5 cleanup as to not confuse others will happen Twisted Evil Cool

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
esheyw wrote:
So, yep, the r7450 firmware flashed from webgui no problem. I haven't had time to play around with it much but it all seems functional. It *is* reporting as an r6800 on the status page which is somewhat worrying.

What does the sticker label on the bottom say for Model?
esheyw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
esheyw wrote:

What does the sticker label on the bottom say for Model?

Literally just "AC2600". Which is part of how they marketed the r7800, thus my confusion.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: