Airlink 101 AR670W - Chip & Flash Details

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
pel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Airlink 101 AR670W - Chip & Flash Details Reply with quote
I just got an email message back from an Airlink engineer. The question I put to him was:

Quote:
I was referred to you by the Airlink 101 support desk.

I have some questions about the AR670W router, as I am curious to know if it could support the dd-wrt software (dd-wrt.com) that I intend to use.

How much internal flash memory does that model have, and what chipset does it use?

The response was:

Quote:
AR670W
Ralink RT2880 +RT2820
4Mbytes Flash Memory

Some info I was able to find @ http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/data/RT2880.pdf

Quote:
The RT2880 SOC combines Ralink’s 2T3R MAC/BBP, a 266-MHz Mips4KEc CPU core, a Gigabit Ethernet MAC, and a PCI host/device, to enable a multitude of high performance and cost-effective draft 802.11n applications.

The RT2880 has two RF companion chips, the RT2820 for 2.4G-band operation and the RT2850 for dual band 2.4G or 5G operation. In addition to the traditional AP/router application, the chipset can be implemented as an WLAN “intelligent” NIC, drastically reducing the load on the host SOC, such as DSL/Cable or Multimedia Applications processors. WLAN iNIC can be used as a simple Ethernet device for easy porting and guaranteed draft 802.11n compliant WLAN performance without the need to upgrade to an expensive host SOC.
Sponsor
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
.. in some months there will be some very interesting & exiting news about ralink devices & dd-wrt support Wink
ralink network adapter will be integrated in a few month to dd-wrt - just be patient Wink
CyberDave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two of these (picked them up at Fry's last weekend for $20 each).

I've cracked one open already and identified the parts and done some preliminary research.

I'll get photos posted this weekend. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe there are what are probably JTAG and serial pinouts in need of some headers. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to dig into it yet.
CyberDave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
CyberDave wrote:
I have two of these (picked them up at Fry's last weekend for $20 each).

I've cracked one open already and identified the parts and done some preliminary research.

I'll get photos posted this weekend. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe there are what are probably JTAG and serial pinouts in need of some headers. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to dig into it yet.

Bored while I'm sitting here trying to flash a MN-700 with a new CFE...

Just double-checked and the board already has a 5-pin header (probably serial) and a 14-pin unpopulated connector on the board (probably JTAG). Also has traces and pads for a Mini PCI connector.

I just checked and AirLink does not have any firmware posted for this router, so we'll need to wait for someone to dump it via JTAG to start dissecting it. (Their site also says "NEW: This product will be released soon", though.)

Flash chip is a Spansion S29AL032D90TFI04 -- tjtagv2 doesn't have support for this chip yet (nor the CPU)...if I have some spare time over the next week I might work on this.

There are two RAM chips: MIRA P2V28S40CTP, apparently 128Mb each for a total of 32 MB.

Switch chip is a IP175C. Too bad it's only 10/100 when the CPU has a Gigabit Ethernet MAC.

There are two antennas connected to u.FL jacks on the board. There are pads for a third u.FL connector, but it is not populated.
gustav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 16:41    Post subject: Bit more detail Reply with quote
Someone has already hooked up to the serial port and documented the fact that this thing already runs linux. He posted details to the openwrt board here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Airlink101/AR670W

I've already emailed support about the GPL sources. They have gpl sources for other products here:
http://www.airlink101.com/gpl/

As of yet I have not heard back on the request for sources. From the ouput above, it's running a 2.4 series kernel (2.4.30) U-Boot 1.1.3 and the ralink driver is compiled as a module "Using /lib/modules/rt2860v2_ap.o"
gustav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 20:55    Post subject: Source is available! Reply with quote
Support gave me the email of an airlink engineer whom I requested the GPL sources from... I emailed him and got a reply today saying the sources would be made available and in fact they are here:

http://www.airlink101.com/gpl/ar670w/

I hope this sparks some interest in the port...

UPDATE:
I can't get the file to uncompress. Looks like it was FTP'd in ASCII mode or something of that nature. It's definitely corrupt.

UPDATE2:
It was transferred onto their server in ASCII mode. 'fixgz.c' fixed it up for me and now I'm building a firmware for it. Smile
winternacht
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you gustav! Please keep us informed on how it's coming along.
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any news on this router becoming available with dd-wrt? Thanks everyone.
dav72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
hebeda wrote:
.. in some months there will be some very interesting & exiting news about ralink devices & dd-wrt support Wink
ralink network adapter will be integrated in a few month to dd-wrt - just be patient Wink

Just checking on the comment above. Any new news? I have a Linksys 160N v2 that has ralink. I would love to run DD-WRT on it.

Thanks.
dav72
ziddey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
fry's has been having a "good" deal on this router for some time now. usually around $25 out the door. I should have just picked one up since it's so cheap but I figure I don't have any n clients and wouldn't use it as a main router with stock firmware. Would grab one in a heartbeat if it got supported.
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I think Frys dropped the 680 version (300N). The tag was red on the shelf with one left. Its gone from their website too. Maybe they relized how crappy the 680s are. Ive had 2 and had issues with both. The 670 has been suprisingly good though.
slaveunit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nevermind the 680 isnt dropped. Its on sale as of today again.
squatch82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 20:28    Post subject: news... Reply with quote
any news....it would be great to put some linux power on this router... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
thuytle99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, any up to date on AR670W.... I have couple units in house and would love to run DD-WRT as well, been using DD-WRT on AR430W... love it.

Thanks
T3Knizion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 19:32    Post subject: RE: AR670W Reply with quote
So with all this the AR670 uses a Ralink RT2860 Chip. I went to their website and see that there is Linux drivers. So assuming this will work or should work http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html as the AR430W has the same hub chip set as the AR670W right?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 50
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: