using a yagi on asus 2.4G only router with 2 antenna ports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Cartel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:09    Post subject: using a yagi on asus 2.4G only router with 2 antenna ports Reply with quote
I am trying to set up a yagi for stronger signal.
Does anyone know the ohms of the antennas?
Can I use a 50ohm yagi on 1 port and leave the other with nothing?

Or do I need to have the unused port with the stock antenna?

thanks
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
for best rsults you'd need 2 of them, if you have 2 antenna router, to make it worst...to be functional those need to be connected with very short cables, literally directly to the ports, witch makes router box very much not ergonomical..
for stronger signal better use some other solutions....routers are not made for those antennas, but yep you can squeeze some range out of it....you can try with single yagi as well it wont hurt...i did some modifications for a hotel wi-fi in the past and was not that bad, but i used old tp-link with single antenna router...what is more important is clients cappbility as thay may not comminicate very well in longer range...but give a try and see for yourself, my experience says you can get a booster for the same price and effort...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back in the day, it was 24dBi directional antennas an Lucent WaveLAN cards in x86 boxes. Laughing

https://neurospeed.com/wlan/wlan.htm

bilcat's gonna wonder about all these random hits.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 20:59    Post subject: Re: using a yagi on asus 2.4G only router with 2 antenna por Reply with quote
Cartel wrote:
I am trying to set up a yagi for stronger signal.
Does anyone know the ohms of the antennas?

I assume you bought it somewhere? If the antenna was designed for WLAN, most likely it would be 50 Ohm, or if for TV, most likely 75 Ohm. But to be sure, look for the datasheet.

And going into Alozaros' comment, be wary on not losing on a long/poor cable the gain of the antenna. If you go that way, as suggested you can mount that router in a waterproof box, or use a premium coax, or you could ponder an USB cantenna because the USB cable can be longer without so much sacrifice.

Cartel wrote:
Can I use a 50ohm yagi on 1 port and leave the other with nothing?

Or do I need to have the unused port with the stock antenna?

Not good idea to leave a radio port with a impedance mismatch (50 Ohm <-> infinite). Reflections, noise, eventually damage risk. It's better to have an antenna there.

On dd-wrt there is/was also the antenna chains settings, in which you could tweak what do you want to do with each radio. And you need to ponder (or trial and error) on how much EIRP you're gonna put through each one without injecting too much noise and/or how much sensitivity you can achieve with such settings. Also, you didn't state what kind of diversity your hardware has, so YMMV.

Bottomline: I played with these ideas in the past, power is not everything, but in some cases a Yagi or a cantenna may help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: