Cant get repeater-bridge to work on Netgear WNDR4000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
pmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 19:52    Post subject: Cant get repeater-bridge to work on Netgear WNDR4000 Reply with quote
Hi,
I would like to get my Netgear WNDR4000 up and running in repeater-bridge mode, so that I can extend the range of my wifi(repeater part) while at the same time connect a few LAN devices(eg printer) to the WNDR4000(bridge part).

I follow https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Broadcom (except for the part about disabling DHCP, which I can't do, as the option isn't there) and I am able to get the bridge-part working just fine and I can ping back and forth across the bridge from LAN devices, but the wifi isn't extended. And, I need to remove the VAP that the guide instructs me to add in order to get the connection. If I leave the VAP up, I get no LAN connection to the rest of the network and I won't receive an IP from the VAP wifi when I connect.

Its as if you can't have both bridge-function and repeater function running at once. Could this be the case?

I can create an AP via the second radio(wl1), but it has basically zero range, for some reason. We are talking a few meters max(indoor).

If anyone have had luck with doing what i wanna do with the WNDR4000, i would very much like to hear about it.

I use version DD-WRT v3.0-r47097 mini (07/29/21).

Thank you, guys!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disable dnsmasq and dhcp server are there in the webUI, if you look. DNSmasq is enabled or disabled on the Services tab and DHCP server is enabled or disabled on the Setup -> Basic setup tab. Perhaps we need to finesse or re-word or edit the wiki so it's a little more blatant as to what it is meant by disabling DHCP.

Now, the question is, are you on a K2.6 build or a K3.x (K4.x) build?

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Disable dnsmasq and dhcp server are there in the webUI, if you look. DNSmasq is enabled or disabled on the Services tab and DHCP server is enabled or disabled on the Setup -> Basic setup tab. Perhaps we need to finesse or re-word or edit the wiki so it's a little more blatant as to what it is meant by disabling DHCP.

Now, the question is, are you on a K2.6 build or a K3.x (K4.x) build?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yeah, I disable Dnsmasq, but there is no setting for DHCP in Setup->Basic. See attached screenshot.

I am on a K2.6 build. The one i downloaded was called "dd-wrt.v24-47097_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR4000.chk". I believe that it was was suggested in the WNDR4000 wiki as well.

ddwrt.png
 Description:
no DHCP settings in basic settings.
 Filesize:  48.99 KB
 Viewed:  1263 Time(s)

ddwrt.png

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because it disappears as soon as you disable the WAN port. If you read the wiki, you would know that RB is broken on K2.6 builds. I haven't tried it on K3.x builds.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
pmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Because it disappears as soon as you disable the WAN port. If you read the wiki, you would know that RB is broken on K2.6 builds. I haven't tried it on K3.x builds.

I see, thank you for pointing that out to me. I will try the newest K3 build for WNDR4000, otherwise i will downgrade! Thank you for your time!
pmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, first i tried V24-47117-NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_WNDR4000, didn't work. Then I wanted to roll back to 25974 K2.6_mini, which was recommended in the wiki. I can't downgrade. Its stuck at 47117. Any pointers?
pmc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, i managed to downgrade to k2.6 25974 and I got the WNDR4000 to connect to my main router and put out a VAP via a virtual interface. However, nothing can connect to that interface(with or without security enabled). My phone complains that it doesn't get an IP and "dmesg" on my linux laptop says "timeout". Am I missing some sort of DHCP setup on the VAP/virtual interface? Shouldn't I get an IP from my main router's DHCP server?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: