Where to Install PLEX on partitioned NAS WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Entrepositive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 17:52    Post subject: Where to Install PLEX on partitioned NAS WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
I'm new but eager to learn - please show mercy.

MODS: Please feel free to move this to appropriate subforum

Desired: Partitioned drive for A. home filesharing and B. media for Roku and remotely

Achieved so far: 4.5TB USB on a Linksys WRT3200ACM, Partitioned as:
    1gb for loading, FAT32
    2.0 TB for home filesharing, ext2 (no PLEX access)
    2.5 TB for media, ext2 (for PLEX access)

TLDR: How and where to install PLEX on partitioned drive? Which version of PLEX do I need? Entware needed? Something I'm missing?

Further:
I did search (a lot) first and found fragments of solutions but honestly I'm lost. What I want to install PLEX to access the 2.5tb partition with media and serve those files to my Roku at home and any other location from web, roku, mobile...

1. Is there a good guide I can follow to install PLEX?
1.a Can (or should) I install PLEX on the 1gb loading partition?
1.b Can it then access files on the 2.5tb partition?
1.c How do I choose the right PLEX install version?

2. Do I need Entware? [Same sub-questions as above re: entware]

3. Is there a better/smarter alternative to the PLEX setup?

4. I'm a noob, so are there any other questions that I should be asking here?

Please forgive my ignorance. I am totally new to the DDWRT / NAS world and my experience is limited to running websites Linux-based VPS systems, setting up routers and wifi networks, and the related. I'm motivated to learn how to do this.

Thanks in advance,

ep

Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requires powerful cpu or gpu acceleration for transcoding. WRT3200ACM does not meet demands, see x86.

Plex total install size is very large. Embedded friendly media server alternative would be MiniDLNA daemon.
Entrepositive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Requires powerful cpu or gpu acceleration for transcoding. WRT3200ACM does not meet demands, see x86.

Plex total install size is very large. Embedded friendly media server alternative would be MiniDLNA daemon.

Ah, bummer. I suppose I could dedicate a mini desktop or XBOX for that job... But then somewhat defeats the purpose of the flashed router.

Anyway thanks for clarifying, @blkt.

ep

Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless you absolutely love the Roku and can't dream of being without it get a Firestick 4k and put Kodi on it.

You will then use the WRT as the NAS and Kodi as the player with no need to have Xboxes or pc's also powered up.
Entrepositive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
Unless you absolutely love the Roku and can't dream of being without it get a Firestick 4k and put Kodi on it.

You will then use the WRT as the NAS and Kodi as the player with no need to have Xboxes or pc's also powered up.

This is a wonderful suggestion - thank you!

I'm not stuck on the Roku (but typically opt out of the ever-listening Amazon devices). I will def look into this.

Can Kodi on the Firestick be set up to access the NAS files through local net, and serve them remotely? Smile

ep

Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use Kodi on the 4k Firestick to play videos stored on SSD's plugged in to the router by setting up an SMB share within DD-WRT. You can also use within DD-WRT DLNA or NFS neither of which I have bothered with because SMB for me works perfectly ok.

Kodi is not just a player there is a lot more to it, all for the better. I had a Roku until about 3 years ago before I sold it on Fleabay and bought a Firestick. Best thing I ever did.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'access the NAS files through local net, and serve them remotely' but if you mean can you go to your mate's house and watch videos stored on your router all you would do is bung the Firestick in your pocket and then plug it in to his TV having allowed external access to your router in advance.

Oh, and I used Plex for about 2 years before switching to Kodi. Again best thing I ever did.
Entrepositive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr R Design wrote:
sold it on Fleabay

🤣🤣🤣

Awesome thanks for the info. Seems like Kodi is the way to go.

Mr R Design
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless you have had a change of mind or have already sorted things and assuming you are in the UK the Firestick 4k's are currently on special at Argos, Currys and Amazon for £29.99.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: