Does a 802.11AX (AKA WiFi 6) DD-WRT Flashable Router Exist?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
Format_C
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04    Post subject: Does a 802.11AX (AKA WiFi 6) DD-WRT Flashable Router Exist? Reply with quote
I'm still using my old Netgear R7500v2 I upgraded to most devices (that I could do easily) to the Intel AX200NGW cards to boost my speed but it turns out that was NOT the part holding be back! It was the router.

So does a Does a 802.11AX (AKA WiFi 6) DD-WRT Flashable Router Exist? Preferably Netgear

Thank You!
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best supported is R7800 or R9000. You can pray with candles atop of RAX120 v2 but do not hold your breath.
Format_C
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Best supported is R7800 or R9000. You can pray with candles atop of RAX120 v2 but do not hold your breath.

Any reason why there no 802.11AX routers for DD-WRT?
I mean AX has been out a few years now so what is the hold-up?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean AX has been out a few years now so what is the hold-up?

yes beta tester routers that do not fully support the AX standard
these are mainly routers with some hardware bugs that do not fully support OFDMA and do not support the 6Ghz band ( WiFi 6E )

So half-baked technology and the opensource development, respectively the drivers are also not yet so far
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the stickies and announcements.

Announcement: 802.11 AX Supported routers- W.I.P.

Sticky: AX Router support for BCM

Let me clarify something here as to why I locked this thread. With all of the other development challenges and other bugs and issues that I know that I and others are constantly emailing BrainSlayer about, the time needed to port the AX120 is dependent on his mood. Considering it's that time of year in Deutchland, he's probably got his hands full with the club and playing music. BrainSlayer doesn't eat, drink, sleep, and breathe DD-WRT 24-7, yo.

TBH, AX isn't quite fully developed in the market, anyway (as ho1Aetoo alluded to, perhaps?). Most of this new technology takes 5-10 years to even be worth a crap - and sometimes does not take off at all (802.11ad, for example!). We *could* likely support Wifi6 / 802.11ax across the board, but then we would have to use proprietary kernels so that the proprietary binary blobs would talk to the kernels properly and everything work as intended. There's much more to this than, "copy and paste" and people just don't get it.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: