WRT3200ACM Client Mode - Public Hotspot - Custom DNS Servers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 16:49    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Client Mode - Public Hotspot - Custom DNS Servers Reply with quote
Router: Linksys WRT3200ACM
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r47074 std (07/20/21)
Operating System: Manjaro Linux

Hi, I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM that is operating in Client Mode and connected wirelessly to a public hotspot, optimumwifi (SSID).

OptimumOnline is the ISP.
My PC is able to access the internet via the Client Mode router.
I do not have direct or remote access to the primary router that is providing the public hotspot (optimumwifi).
I do have direct physical access to the Client Mode router.
The optimumwifi hotspot has a login portal, but I was able to bypass it by having the Client Mode router clone my PC's MAC address.
My PC's MAC address is registered with OptimumOnline.

For now, I am just using a regular PC to connect to the Client Mode router via ethernet cable.
At this time, I have no interest in having the Client Mode router provide WiFi to any wireless device.

Goal/Objective: Give my Client Mode router the ability to use custom dns servers (example: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1) when connecting to the internet.
Problem: Adding 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (or any other custom DNS servers) to Static DNS 1 and 2 prevents my PC from accessing the internet.

Setup - Basic Setup - WAN Setup - WAN Connection Type
Connection Type: Auto Configuration - DHCP
Ignore WAN DNS: [ ]
Use VLAN Priority: [ ]

Network Setup - Router IP
Local IP Address: 25.224.6.9 / 24 (Client Mode Router)
Gateway: 25.224.0.1 (Primary hotspot Router)
Local DNS:

Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
DHCP Type: DHCP Server
DHCP Server: Enable
Start IP Address:
Client Lease Expiration: 1440 min
Static DNS 1 - 3, and WINS: 0.0.0.0

Use DNSMasq for DNS: [ X ]
DHCP-Authoritative: [ X ]
Recursive DNS Resolving (Unbound): [ ]
Forced DNS Redirection: [ ]

Time Settings
NTP Client: [ X ]
Server IP/Name: time.cloudflare.com

Wireless - Basic Settings
Wireless Interface wlan0 [5 GHz/802.11ac]
Physical Interface wlan0
Wireless Mode: Client
Wireless Network Mode: AC/N-Mixed
Channel Width: VHT80 (80 MHz)
Allow Channel Overlapping: Disable
Wireless Network Name (SSID): optimumwifi

Wireless Interface wlan1 [2.4 GHz]
Wireless Interface wlan2 [2.4GHz/5 GHz/802.11ac]
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: Disabled

Wireless Security: All Disabled

Services
All Default Values

Security - Firewall Protection
SPI Firewall: Disable
[ x ] Filter Multicast

I read somewhere that some ISPs may prevent users from changing the DNS server(s) on the router to different DNS servers.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this issue.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google dnsmasq as dhcp server dd-wrt wiki. Search the forum. And you shouldn't have your firewall disabled unless you are using client bridged mode. Not sure why you would use 5GHz radio as client, either.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
And you shouldn't have your firewall disabled unless you are using client bridged mode.
When you say "client bridged mode", are you referring to Client Bridge (Routed) in the Wireless Mode list, or are you referring to the "Bridged" and "Unbridged" options that become visible when "Advanced Settings" is ticked under the wireless interface? I'm a networking newbie.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not sure why you would use 5GHz radio as client, either.
I noticed the optimumwifi ssid wasn't visible when I performed the site survey under the wlan1 and wlan2 interfaces for my WRT3200ACM.
I was able to see and join the network while using wlan0 for the site survey.

Also, considering that an old 2.4GHz wireless network adapter I had wasn't able to see or connect to that wireless network, I assumed only 5GHz devices would only be able to see and connect to it.
However, I will try to take a look at the other interfaces again.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Google dnsmasq as dhcp server dd-wrt wiki. Search the forum.
Thanks, I am looking at the page now: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/?title=DNSMasq_as_DHCP_server
and I will be back soon to ask some more questions, including questions about some community edits to that wiki page and their reliability.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
That wiki probably does need some tweaks and updates. Some devices (non-Broadcom) use Client Bridge(routed), but I tend to use generic "Client Bridge" or "Client Bridged" to refer to that mode.

----------------------
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not sure why you would use 5GHz radio as client, either.
I now tinkered with the wireless settings and it looks like wlan2 2.4GHz|5GHz interface is now giving me smoother results.
No weird 20 second delay for the the first webpage to load after a router reboot.

Wireless - Basic Settings: https://i.imgur.com/J1Kgife.png
Setup - Basic Setup: https://i.imgur.com/d1YRulM.png
- Local IP Address (Client Mode Router): 25.224.X.Y / 24
- Gateway (optimumwifi Public Hotspot): 25.224.A.B
Services: https://i.imgur.com/MTz4CWN.png

kernel-panic69 wrote:
And you shouldn't have your firewall disabled unless you are using client bridged mode.
Security: https://i.imgur.com/I1tbNDx.png
- I will try enabling it again, but it didn't seem to help last time with getting Cloudfare's 1.1.1.1 Public DNS Service to load/resolve webpages.

I read an anecdotal post somewhere about Optimum Online (ISP) blocking people from making those changes and they are forced to make phone calls to the ISP.

I tried the Encrypt DNS option: DNSCrypt with the first OpenDNS option in the list of resolvers, but webpages are still not loading.
I turned off Encrypt DNS for now.
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I spoke too soon.
I switched back to wlan0 [5GHz/802.11ac] as the Client.

The radio for wlan2 [2.4GHz/5GHz/802.11ac] in Client Mode kept acting up.
It would randomly disconnect from the optimumwifi public hotspot (especially while connected to a VPN on the PC) and never makes an attempt to reconnect to the hotspot by itself.

Also, under Status - Wireless, when hitting 'Site Survey' and then 'Refresh', the Radio status changes from Radio is On to Unknown.
I have to reboot the router and hope the radio is on.
If it does come back on and I try to to do another Site Survey, I would see that the optimumwifi hotspot that my client was previously connected to has disappeared from the list of nearby wireless networks.

I have no idea what exactly causes this and have no clue if that public hotspot crashed or whatever, but I don't recall having this problem with wlan0 [5GHz/802.11ac] radio.
Keep in mind, the signal strength to the optimumwifi hotspot is around 65% to 71%.

I also gave wlan1 [2.4GHZ] a try as a Client and it looks like it has potential, but it only found a optimumwifi hotspot that was really far away, according to the Site Survey.
I'm not that tech savvy, so I have no clue if wlan1 is capable of connecting to the nearby (1300a/n/ac) optimumwifi hotspot.

In regards to the DNS issue, it looks like Optimum/Comcast or whoever is managing the public optimumwifi hotspot are blocking 1.1.1.1.
Without a VPN, if I enter 1.1.1.1 into the web browser, the cloudflare page doesn't load.
When I try 1.0.0.1, it would load partially but continues to load forever.
With my VPN enabled, both 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 load the webpages properly.

Also, if the local IP address of the Client Mode router is 25.224.6.9 , do I replace /24 with a different value?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
HalpMe wrote:
Also, if the local IP address of the Client Mode router is 25.224.6.9 , do I replace /24 with a different value?

Depends on what size subnet you are wanting to serve...

----------------------
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably did so but . . . I must reboot the router after adding/changing static DNS servers to establish a connection.
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Depends on what size subnet you are wanting to serve...
When you say "size subnet", are you referring to the number of clients connected to the router?
For me, I have just 1 PC that I have connected to the Client router via ethernet, I might add a security camera or something eventually.
Maybe later I will start adding wireless devices to the network.
Maybe a max of 10 devices. Hope I understood the question correctly.
Do you have a recommended value?

Monza wrote:
You probably did so but . . . I must reboot the router after adding/changing static DNS servers to establish a connection.
Yes I did, as well as reboot the PC to flush DNS cache, but regardless thank you for the reminder, it will help others who are in a similar situation as me.
HalpMe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey I just want to give an update on the situation.

After a 2 -3 month break away from the router, I updated the firmware to DD-WRT v3.0-r47618 std (11/05/21).
I am now able to connect to websites while using custom DNS servers.
I don't know if it's the updated firmware or something on the ISP's end that fixed the DNS problem.

------------------------------------------------
Here are my settings in case anyone was curious:

Connection Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Ignore WAN DNS: Enabled
Shortcut Forwarding Engine: Enable
STP: Enable

Local IP Address: 25.224.6.39/24
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Local DNS: 0.0.0.0

DHCP Type: DHCP Server
DHCP Server: Enable
Static DNS 1: 1.1.1.1
Static DNS 2: 1.0.0.1
Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
WINS: 0.0.0.0

Use DNSMasq for DNS: Enabled
DHCP Authoritative: Enabled

NTP Client: Enable
Time Zone: <my time zone>
Server IP/Name: <blank>

------------------------------------
Physical Interface wlan0 - SSID [optimumwifi]
- Client Mode, AC/N-Mixed, Wide HT40 (40 MHz)
- Wireless Network Name (SSID): optimumwifi
- Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing): 0

Physical Interface wlan1
- AP Mode, Disabled

Physical Interface wlan2
- AP Mode, Disabled

------------------------------------
SPI Firewall: Enable
Filter Multicast: Enabled
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will mention this as I've had some issues with Dnsmasq in past years. I used public no log DNS servers for years until they suddenly became undependable.

I tried the impressive DNS 1.1.1.1 servers with less than impressive results. Mostly worked but seemed to block or fail on some addresses.

I switched to the Quad9 servers about a year ago and have had no issues since. I added 1.1.1.1 as my Static DNS 3 with the Quad9 IPv4 servers as Static DNS 1 and Static DNS 2.

I also have the command "dhcp-option=6, 9.9.9.9, 149.112.112.112, 1.1.1.1" (without quotes) to the Services/Dnsmasq/Additional DNS Options per my VPN providers setup instructions. I've tried with/without the command with no noticeable change but leave it as it was recommended in the vpn setup procedure several years ago. I'm not recommending you add the command just posting it as a DNS setting I have for comparison.

The only differences I see in my/your setup is I have Shortcut Forwarding Engine disabled, STP disabled and possibly my Forced DNS Redirection enabled not seeing your setting posted.

Hope this may be helpful if you have future issues?? https://www.quad9.net/
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also FWIW, 3200 owners usually (always?) end up setting wlan2 to disable. Supposedly it's not an actual 3rd usable wifi but is only for detecting radar signals to avoid interference. I saw one claim that it doesn't even connect to external antennas. Whatever the truth is on all the fine points, it's clear that it's caused a lot of people a lot of trouble.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
the 3rd radio has an internal antenna and is only 1Tx1R
so the radio really has only ONE antenna and would be correspondingly slow anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: