Two bricked Archer C9 v3 with this build 47090 and fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
marr17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 16:49    Post subject: Two bricked Archer C9 v3 with this build 47090 and fix Reply with quote
I have a Archer C9 v3 running fine with an older build 44715 and so I decided to try this build 47090. I flashed with the web page and once the router restarted, all I got was the right three lights flashing continuously. I tried doing the ftp recovery with original tp-link bins and nothing seemed to work. I gave up on this device. I have another C9 v3 which was on original tp-link firmware and tried flashing with the factory to dd-wrt bin 47090 and bricked this router as well. Same situation with the right three lights flashing continuously.
I also tried the tftp method with original tp-link bins and nothing seemed to work.

The fix: downloaded an older version of dd-wrt to factory 44715 and changed the filename to ArcherC9v3_tp_recovery.bin and used the tftp method and wow it worked. I did this to both of the bricked routers and got them working again.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
So now we need the information as to why 47090 bricked the routers. Just posting that it did doesn't do the community any good.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Cows
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
My Archer C1900 was bricked after resetting to defaults on build r47086 and the TFP method hasn't worked for me unfortunately. The file is sent successfully but it just gets stuck in a boot loop afterwards. I tried the build you said worked for you and still no luck. I guess it will just go back into the box for a while until I have the time to mess with it more.
marr17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cows wrote:
My Archer C1900 was bricked after resetting to defaults on build r47086 and the TFP method hasn't worked for me unfortunately. The file is sent successfully but it just gets stuck in a boot loop afterwards. I tried the build you said worked for you and still no luck. I guess it will just go back into the box for a while until I have the time to mess with it more.

Try with the factory to dd-wrt bin file, that is stable, and rename is to what the router is looking for when you have the tftp server running and look into the tftp server logs. My router was looking for ArcherC9v3_tp_recovery.bin and yours will be different for what the exactl file name that the router is looking for.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still need to move forward and go build by build from 44715 to see where the firmware image is broken, too.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: