EA6700 Will not update nor allow me to flash firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stealthrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18    Post subject: EA6700 Will not update nor allow me to flash firmware Reply with quote
Hey all I have been trying to update my DD-WRT that's in the 2019 edition (DD-WRT v3.0-r40189 std (07/04/19)).

I use the Administration > firmware update opinion in order to do the update.

The file I have downloaded for my Linksys ea6700 router is the 2021/07-26-2021-r47090/linksys-ea6700/linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin file.

It flashed just fine and I waited the 10 minutes that was asked in a tutorial and then held the reset button for 30 seconds. When logging back into the router I was greeted with the normal "change your password" as if it DID update.

However, looking again at the version in the top right hand side still shows the same version and year?

So I tried updating the firmware with a "Advanced Tomato" firmware version for it. And upon booting up it goes to the same DD-WRT page asking to make a new password.

So as a last resort I tried to just flash it back to the stock official Linksys firmware (FW_EA6700_1.1.42.203057_prod.gpg.img). Yet again, it flashed fine but once it reloaded it was still DD-WRT.

So what am I doing incorrectly?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't hold the reset button on this device for 30 seconds or do a 30-30-30. You may have to flash the update via ssh or telnet as your current build may have issues doing webflash (see generic installation wiki in my signature). The only other thing that could be wrong is the firmware image size is too big. If on Windows, use Waterfox Classic, Firefox ESR (portable), or Pale Moon (portable). If on MacOS 10.x, use Firefox ESR, Safari, Waterfox Classic. Linux, Firefox ESR or Pale Moon.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
stealthrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You don't hold the reset button on this device for 30 seconds or do a 30-30-30. You may have to flash the update via ssh or telnet as your current build may have issues doing webflash (see generic installation wiki in my signature). The only other thing that could be wrong is the firmware image size is too big. If on Windows, use Waterfox Classic, Firefox ESR (portable), or Pale Moon (portable). If on MacOS 10.x, use Firefox ESR, Safari, Waterfox Classic. Linux, Firefox ESR or Pale Moon.

Thanks for the reply kernel-panic69.

I tried updating it via the SSH but it gives me this error:
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Code:
write linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin linux

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_3:_Flashing_with_Command_Line

New Build - 07/26/2021 - r47090
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
A lot of linksys EA series models like this one have the 32 K NVRAM bug which severely hampers usability.

Fortunately you can update the CFE but after that you can no longer use the webflash method but have to use the CLI (telnet/putty/winscp) method to upgrade.

I suspect this router has the upgraded CFE so making webflashing impossible?

I do not have the EA6700 thread handy but I do have the EA6900 thread (I have an EA6900) this works the same see: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=291230#291230
Of course you have to download the build for the EA6700

Note this is only valid if you have the upgraded CFE!

Quote:
The following procedure can be used to flash the latest DD-WRT builds:

1. Open the WebGUI and reset to factory defaults
2. Set your IP address to 192.168.1.9 mask 255.255.255.0
3. Open WebGUI and set username and password
4. Telnet to your router (remember, username is always root)
5. Execute the following commands

• cd /tmp
• wget ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/01-19-2021-r45493/linksys-ea6900/linksys-ea6900-webflash.bin (check and use the latest build)
• write linksys-ea6900-webflash.bin linux (if this not works use mtd write instead of write ignore error see below)
• nvram erase
• reboot

Wait till rebooted and check if router is up, then head over to your router
Hold WPS button and unplug, after 10 seconds plug and hold until light blinks (about 20 seconds)

Hold WPS button, and then while holding, unplug, after 10 seconds plug and hold until light blinks (about 20 seconds) This will do a full reset and initializes the right variables, this is extremely important

The mtd write command generates a lock error, just ignore it you should see the blinking [w] indicating that the writing process is executed. Be Patient!

To enter the CFE mini webserver: power off, while the router is powered off, press and hold red factory reset button on the back of router. Continuing to hold reset button, switch it on, powering up router. Hold reset button pressed for approx. 15 seconds. When done wait a little and navigate to 192.168.1.1 again. You must see miniWeb Server page:

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using the TFTP method on the EA6700 for quite some time. Instructions below are for Windows 10, but I would guess are similar in Linux.

1. Open two command prompts as administrator.
2. In the first command prompt, run the following, substituting the correct IP of the router:
Code:
ping 192.168.1.1 -t

3. In the other command shell, CD to the folder where you have the firmware downloaded, and type the following but don't press Enter yet:
Code:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin

4. In the web GUI, click Reboot Router on the Administration tab.
5. Watch the command shell with the ping command running. As soon as you see the first ping with a TTL of 100, press enter on the TFTP command. It will take about 90-120 seconds before the command completes. Timing is not super-critical. As long as the TTL 100 pings are going, you can start the command.
6. After the command completes, the router will reboot. It will go through 1-2 cycles of TTL 100 pings, taking about 2 full minutes. Once you see pings with a TTL of 64, refresh the web gui. You should see the updated firmware version.

I know it's not recommended, but I usually do not clear the configuration on the router unless there is a problem. This method keeps the existing config.

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_EA6700 (see notes)

Linksys EA6700 Install Guide
stealthrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow.. I did all of that and it still has the same version...

I did:
Code:

• cd /tmp
• write linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin linux
• nvram erase
• reboot

Again, everything went fine but when I logged into the router it still had the same 2019 date.

Hold WPS button and unplug, after 10 seconds plug and hold until light blinks (about 20 seconds)

Hold WPS button, and then while holding, unplug, after 10 seconds plug and hold until light blinks (about 20 seconds) This will do a full reset and initializes the right variables, this is extremely important

Last edited by stealthrt on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:49; edited 3 times in total
stealthrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should I try flashing the linksys stock firmware? Though it ends with a .img instead of .bin? Is that ok?

Or should I try

Code:

write linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin linux
ubootenv set boot_part 1

first before I try to flash the stock firmware?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You flashed the XWRT-Vortex CFE? This unit does not use uboot. You should probably do a little more clicking and reading.

----------------------
stealthrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You flashed the XWRT-Vortex CFE? This unit does not use uboot. You should probably do a little more clicking and reading.

No. I don't have an Asus router. Where did you get that I flashed XWRT-Vortex? I stated SHOULD I try - not that I have done it...
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Note this is only valid if you have the upgraded CFE!

Maybe try the TFTP method sir dpp3530 described above...

Linksys EA6700 Install Guide

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_EA6700 (see notes)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can't prove your theory(ies) with source code commits to the public svn repository, then don't make statements on them. On stock CFE, you should have linux and linux2 partitions; a 'cat /proc/mtd' would likely tell. If I am not losing my mind, these devices required a "double flash", no matter what method you used. I think that is also why folks went the route of using the XWRT-Vortex CFE, aside from an easier method to de-brick.

----------------------
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
stealthrt wrote:
Wow.. I did all of that and it still has the same version...

I did:
Code:

• cd /tmp
• write linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin linux
• nvram erase
• reboot

Again, everything went fine but when I logged into the router it still had the same 2019 date.

I used the following in place of the second line:
mtd write linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin linux
mtd write linksys-ea6700-webflash.bin linux2

and "mtd write" worked. The "write" command did not.

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: