good news with "bricked" router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
j1mw3b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 14:00    Post subject: good news with "bricked" router Reply with quote
I obtained a cheap and new Wrt54g-TM on auction site.
Before installing dd-wrt, I read the info here:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WRT54G-TM
and promptly ignored it.

Instead of using factory gui to upload the
CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.bin file as suggested, I used tftp; and stupidly messed with router probly before the suggested wait time.
Power flashing, port leds lit, ping with 100ttl, so
the bootloader was still there (so all the info said),
so no problem, just reinstall it.
I must have tried to tftp the CFE again many times (at least 50).
Didn't give up, and it finally worked and now I have the dd-wrt installed.

Don't ignore the advice given.
And, BTW, everywere it says "ignore the router database" - why is it still around? Just curious 'cause it's confusing.

Oh, and if you use Linux, should install tftp-hpa, not just tftp.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 16:49    Post subject: Re: good news with "bricked" router Reply with quote
j1mw3b wrote:
Don't ignore the advice given.
And, BTW, everywere it says "ignore the router database" - why is it still around? Just curious 'cause it's confusing.

It could be asked why folks completely TL;DR the disclaimer we had put on the router database landing page as well. Site admins have control of that, and all of those warnings to not (just) use the database are for two reasons. First being that all currently supported devices are not listed in that database, the second is that the "latest release" there is NOT the latest release and we try as best we can to keep people from TL;DR'ing the crap out of everything and being lazy, but we have no control over people and the things they do. Like ignore the advice given Twisted Evil

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
j1mw3b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Actually I did ignore the router database, but just kept bumping into it.

Thanks again for all the information available, and the firmware. So much better than factory stuff.
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 18:57    Post subject: Re: good news with "bricked" router Reply with quote
j1mw3b wrote:
Oh, and if you use Linux, should install tftp-hpa, not just tftp.

Any reason why?

when I used TFTP on a old Belkin router (which is now bricked (in short... due to me flashing firmware in a overclocked state)) I used the standard 'sudo apt install tftp' and it worked fine.

p.s. so I assume I need to install both?

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
j1mw3b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for no reply to query. Need to set so I get emails for posts.

Reason for tftp-hpa. I was using LinuxMint and the default tftp only allowed connection upon invoking and then you had to enter each additional function after connect; e.g. mode binary, timeout, get/put command.
tftp-hpa had all functions on initial invocation; i.e.
Usage: tftp [-4][-6][-v][-l][-m mode] [host [port]] [-c command]

So, hit enter and everything done at once.
I had to catch the router just as it began response to pings in other terminal session.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: